ZScript Documentation

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: ZScript Documentation

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of course you cannot use Actor.GetCVar from an Event handler without specifying the actor in which context to use it.

So 'players[0].mo.GetCVar(...)' would be the proper way to read a CVar from player 1's context.

And for static CVARs you do not need any function at all, you can just use their name as a global read-only variable.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:Of course you cannot use Actor.GetCVar from an Event handler without specifying the actor in which context to use it.

So 'players[0].mo.GetCVar(...)' would be the proper way to read a CVar from player 1's context.

And for static CVARs you do not need any function at all, you can just use their name as a global read-only variable.
Thanks for this, cleans things up a little bit.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

I made this page in the effort to help programmers who are transitioning into using ZScript become a bit more familiar with its syntax, but it probably needs more work done.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Curious... if multi-return is a LUA feature, how did ZDoom do multi-returns in C++ before?
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Assuming you're talking about in the C++ source, it just wouldn't have, as C++ doesn't have that feature. Can be replicated easily with something like an std::tuple, though.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Please keep wiki style in mind when creating pages. Capitalize only things that actually need to be capitalized.

Tutorial On How To Make A Door -- wrong! don't do that! stop doing that!
Universal Doom Map Format -- caps okay because it's the proper name of a standard
A_FireMissile -- caps okay because function names use CamelCase
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Sorry. Bad habit. I was raised in a setting where if it has a title, It Must Have a Capital Except for Certain Words. As in, they put a drill to the back of my head. Almost.

...private schools I swear...
UsernameAK

Post by UsernameAK »

I think there's need for JavaDoc-like documentation generator for ZScript.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

UsernameAK wrote:I think there's need for JavaDoc-like documentation generator for ZScript.
DPJudas was toying with something like this in a QZDoom branch back in February in the mainline ZScript Discussion thread. I haven't heard head or tail of it since, so I don't suspect it ever reached a point where it could be rolled into a release build.

Pity, it'd come in very handy, both for the mainline engine itself and for modders to document their work and welcome additional content to be bolted onto theirs, ala Reelism's makeshift mod system or Brutal Doom's endless forks.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

That would be this branch: refdocs

I didn't really try to finish it because it felt like I got a combination of shrugs and "yeah you go code that" feedback. As I didn't need ZScript documentation myself I figured that there's better things to spend my time on. :)

In any case, the code is there if anyone wants to pick up after where I stopped.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

...So this is where this thread was relocated to.

Return to “Tutorials”