deactivate account

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
mutator

deactivate account

Post by mutator »

what is the way to deactivate account if you wanted to? do you just never appear online or you need admin/mod to take you off from member list?
HavoX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: deactivate account

Post by HavoX »

If you really don't want to be a part of the community anymore, you must rely on your own sheer willpower to stop visiting.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Why would you even want to?
mutator

Post by mutator »

Eruanna wrote:Why would you even want to?
reason is in your pm, don't want to spread it in public
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

We don't do that here except for cases of accounts being breached. That is not the case here. We also do not delete users (it makes it difficult to search), and there is no reason to ban you right now (please don't try to find one).
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'll never understand the "mods delete my account" mentality. :? If someone really wants to go scorched earth and never ever give themselves the possibility of coming back, then just bang your head on the keyboard to generate a password, log out and don't come back.

8-)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's attracted a bit of discussion on DRD Team because it seems to be a once-a-year request there. So far, I've denied every request that's come to me since taking over DRD Team, although there have been compelling arguments as to what merits it has and some alternatives to serve those merits (that I will not discuss here unless the person who brought them up wants them discussed, since it was in private and in respect for said person's privacy).

I know it's going to hurt some people's feelings for me to say this - so sorry - but I do feel the need to express myself here. I feel like it's flaky people just being flaky. In which case, it's still easy enough for them to forget the account ever existed and not log on again in the first place. Inevitably those same people often come back asking for their accounts to be reactivated - which is annoying, because why'd they ask it to be deactivated in the first place? It's better to just leave the account activated and save the administration headaches in the long run. I refuse to serve your emotional roller coaster and act as your gatekeeper for when you want to be able to log in. Chances are it's a problem you're going to have to mature up a bit to learn to deal with it. At any rate, it is very rarely, if ever, an issue that justifies the administration overhead of activating or deactivating your account upon request.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

And on top of that, I'd rather try to resolve whatever problem brought the person to this decision in the first place.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I would prefer to, too, if possible, but sometimes I've found those reasons are completely beyond my control.
Popsoap10

Post by Popsoap10 »

I wouldn't deactivate your account, there really isn't any point since you can just as easily create another one (you aren't banned, so that is completely fine).
wildweasel wrote:And on top of that, I'd rather try to resolve whatever problem brought the person to this decision in the first place.
I have a hunch this is the reason.
Anwar Garza

Post by Anwar Garza »

The FAQ for this forum says:
Why can’t I login?
* There are several reasons why this could occur. First, ensure your username and password are correct. If they are, contact the board owner to make sure you haven’t been banned. It is also possible the website owner has a configuration error on their end, and they would need to fix it.

Why can’t I register?
* It is possible the website owner has banned your IP address or disallowed the username you are attempting to register. The website owner could have also disabled registration to prevent new visitors from signing up. Contact a board administrator for assistance.

I registered in the past but cannot login any more?!
* It is possible an administrator has deactivated or deleted your account for some reason. Also, many boards periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database. If this has happened, try registering again and being more involved in discussions.
That is, I, nevertheless, can delete my account? Whatever the reasons for this.

I will formulate in another way - how many and what violations do I need to commit in order for my account to be deleted or blocked?

Post restored, do not blank posts. ~~Caligari87
Last edited by Anwar Garza on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Those questions have to do with an anti hijacking measure we had to do, back in 2016. Users cannot deactivate their own accounts.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If someone wants to disappear, they can request their account be renamed to something different.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Uhh, Weas? Did you remove a post between Popsoap's and yours, or did you just perform the cardinal sin of a Pointless Bump?
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Caligari87 wrote:I'll never understand the "mods delete my account" mentality. :? If someone really wants to go scorched earth and never ever give themselves the possibility of coming back, then just bang your head on the keyboard to generate a password, log out and don't come back.

8-)
It might have something to do with "not leaving garbage behind". I admit I kinda have a similar approach to accounts on websites I no longer visit. If I'm no longer interested in them for one reason or another, I prefer deleting my account and its history, not necessarily because "I'm never coming back". It feels "cleaner" this way to me.

And also solves the eventual concern of having accounts I no longer use getting potentially hijacked by randoms and do random nasty, and others assuming it was still me.

Return to “General”