GZDoom Subforum Discussion

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Do you think that GZDoom should have a subforum in the ZDoom forums?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:43 am

Yes.
69%
No.
8%
Other. (Explain in post)
23%

Total votes : 13

GZDoom Subforum Discussion

Postby Accensus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:43 am

After Kinsie made a point here and dpJudas suggested to move this to a dedicated thread, I've decided to make that thread happen. So here you are. What does the community (devs included, of course) think about having GZDoom development/bugs subforum in the ZDoom forums? I suppose the downloads will stay over at DRDTeam. The main point of this discussion is to determine if it's actually useful to have both ports in one forum, thus fixing the issues of people reporting GZDoom bugs in the ZDoom bugs section and also the issue with covert-ops development.

Please, keep the discussion in accordance with the rules. I don't want this thread to get locked down because somebody went berserk. If you have different opinions, put some arguments in there and explain why you believe you're right.

Keep in mind that at the end of the day, it's up to Randi to make that happen, so if she doesn't want to, we can't do much other than dream and discuss.

Note: This seems like off-topic material, but it does have a hint of ZDoom discussion in it, so it's why I put it in General.
Last edited by Accensus on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Accensus
Does not use federally approved humor.

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZDoom Subforum Discussion

Postby Tapwave » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:49 am

While I'm sure someone is going to bring the "Gzdoom has a forum!" point (which is true, don't get me wrong), I fully agree that GzDoom news/announcements thing should be put up, as a lot of people are not familiar with the GZD forums, and a way to keep informed here would be useful.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Postby Rachael » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:14 am

It's really up to Graf and Randi. But Tapwave does have a point - GZDoom does have an official forum - it's pointed to inside the Git repo, referenced in multiple places inside the .exe itself (particularly when doing crash reports), is mentioned in its Doom Wiki article, and consistently comes up first on a Google search.

There really is no excuse for people "not to know" that GZDoom does, in fact, have its own forum and it happens to be on a site that's been its home for more than the past decade.

Now - if Graf and Randi want to move it here - fine - I am not trying to say they can't - but the argument that "no one goes there" is a weak one at best - first, it's a community awareness issue - secondly, if that's the only argument you have you're contributing to that statistic - and thirdly, it's wholly wrong because people DO go there and things DO get discussed.

Want to know what gets discussed on the OFFICIAL GZDoom forums? I'll give you a hint - it starts with a G.

(I don't play favorites - I was the only one who voted "other" as of this post)
Last edited by Rachael on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Gez » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:18 am

Feel free to make a thread entitled The official "ZDoom on OpenGL" thread like we have official ZDoom on Linux, Mac OS, and Wolfenstein threads (the latter of which is actually about ECWolf) and then people who feel the DRD Team forums are so awful could volunteer to go there, look for interesting tidbits, and bring them to the ZDoom thread so that other people don't have to visit a different place from time to time.
Gez

Postby Tapwave » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:21 am

Eruanna wrote:There really is no excuse for people "not to know" that GZDoom does, in fact, have its own forum and it happens to be on a site that's been its home for more than the past decade.

I think the thing that should be done, rather than port the forum here and create a gigantic mess, would be to make a clearly visible sticky that'd promote the GZDoom forum, and any important issues that might impact the engine, like the flatsprite thing. What's needed here is to draw attention to the forum rather than change how things are. They're fine at the moment.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Postby Rachael » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 am

A dedicated thread really sounds best. That's how 3DGE does things - it has its own forum but most of the zdoom.org action happens in a thread that's dedicated solely to that port. Honestly, I've never thought about it, but now that I do, I wonder myself why GZDoom never got one.

Such a thread I think really should be started by someone closely connected to the port, though, such as Graf, or maybe even a moderator, because it does frequently happen that someone makes a thread, then disappears from the community completely, and their information gets outdated quickly.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Tapwave » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 am

Eruanna wrote:That's how 3DGE does things - it has its own forum but most of the zdoom.org action happens in a thread that's dedicated solely to that port. Honestly, I've never thought about it, but now that I do, I wonder myself why GZDoom never got one.

I was wondering about that myself. Then again, people could argue you could do so for all zdoom derivatives like Zandro and such, but I believe that GZD is so closely tied to ZD's development, that a thread here would make more sense than one for Zandro, which has a perfectly fine community of its own.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Postby Rachael » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:34 am

I don't see an issue with Zandro having its own sticky, either. Its forum may be a lot more active but that doesn't mean there are people who never visit the Zandronum forums here.

Again - I think it should be started by someone closely connected to that port, though - such as Torr or Blzut, if it were to happen.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Blue Shadow » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:52 am

It makes no difference to me, as I browse both forums.
Blue Shadow

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Accensus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:13 am

I see now that the stealthy additions to the GL renderer are due to the fact that the Feature Suggestions subforum for GZDoom is...closed. So how did the tonemap make it in? How did the bloom make it in? I don't even see a post regarding the latter.

I understand that Graf does not want to improve upon the GL renderer, but now that dpJudas is here, things are starting to change for the better. Perhaps he can have his own stickied thread with GL updates, seeing as he's the only person developing specifically for GZDoom? Maybe put a link to the GZDoom forums at the top of the main post with big letters. Lots of suggestions, really. Finding the one that fits best is the hard part.
Accensus

Postby Rachael » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:17 am

Tonemap and Bloom made it in because they were pull requests and someone who was experienced enough in OpenGL actually did it and proved his code was stable.

As far as the feature requests forum being closed - that's something Graf has requested, I merely am going by his wishes. Talk to him if you want it opened again.

As far as the thread goes, I really think Graf should make that. dpJudas may end up having more involvement with GZDoom in the future, but until such time that becomes official (again, up to Graf, it's his port), I think Graf should manage or at least have full control over any public fronts that GZDoom has - and in my mind that would include starting any official GZDoom related thread that gets stickied.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Accensus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 am

So I take it the consensus is to not move the GZDoom forums here as only half of them are operational in the first place (Bugs only), but make a thread for accepted feature suggestions/news in ZDF?
Accensus

Postby Rachael » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:31 am

I am not going to speak for anyone about what a "consensus" is here. But from what I see, it seems like people are quite happy with the idea of a sticky thread.

But I will repeat what I've been saying all along -

Talk. To Graf.

He's really not an evil guy. Explain your reasoning, justify your thoughts, he's usually very willing to work with people as long as you show him some respect (something that a lot of people who complain about him do not show, I've noticed).

If Graf won't make the thread, perhaps Wildweasel will - I know it will get used either way.
Rachael
Admin

Postby wildweasel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:34 am

Eruanna wrote:If Graf won't make the thread, perhaps Wildweasel will - I know it will get used either way.

I'd rather the thread be started by someone who will actually commit to updating it. I am very likely to forget.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rachael » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:37 am

I'd do it myself but I do not speak in an official capacity for GZDoom, and I also don't want to make any commitments because I do take long breaks from ZDoom and GZDoom stuff.
Rachael
Admin

Next

Return to General