Hexen 1 CD Music Question

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: Hexen 1 CD Music Question

Postby xoanon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:51 am

Fair enough! Just had to ask around about it. Thanks for your answers!
xoanon

Postby Ernest Blivingford » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:46 pm

I realize this is a bit necro, but I tried this and I could not get it to work. I set things up as follows:

base/music/ <-- where all my .mp3's were put, named track01.mp3, track02.mp3, etc.
base/music/filter/hexen.hexen/SNDINFO.HXN

In my [hexen.Autoload] section I put:
Path=$PROGDIR/music/*.*
Path=$PROGDIR/music/filter/hexen.hexen/SNDINFO.HXN

I even tried making a .pk3 and loading it.
I can get the .mp3 files to read on game start, but no music plays. What am I doing wrong?
Ernest Blivingford

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:40 pm

No idea. Post your data files and we maybe can tell you.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Ernest Blivingford » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Clever anonymous post name, btw.

I have them in this zip file:

www.wireheadstudios.org/phoenix/music/hexen_music.zip

Unzipped is exactly how they are in my base folder.

I also tried editing the mp3 tag data to remove everything except the song names and made the song names identical to the file name and it still only plays the midi.
Ernest Blivingford

Postby Yarn366 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 pm

Are you only testing the main menu, or are you entering a level? The SNDINFO method that you're using only works for levels, not menus, as Gez said in an earlier post:

Gez wrote:Oh yeah, this will only replace the soundtracks during level, so you still won't hear the ripped CD music during game load, menu, intermission, and end.

With that said, your setup works fine for me within levels.

(As a tip, you can load a folder as a WAD by specifying the folder itself instead of its files in gzdoom-*.ini. In your case, it will allow the filter folder to be used as intended so that Hexen can have one music order while Deathkings has another.)
Yarn366

Postby Ernest Blivingford » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Thanks for testing my setup, Yarn.

I just figured out what was happening. I know that Map27 uses Fantasy when set to the the CD music, so I had been testing by loading a save game on that map, which kept playing the midi, which is a different song. I started a new game and typed "map map27" from the console and it plays the .mp3. It seems the save game state keeps whatever music settings were in use prior, in this case it was forcing the midi and ignoring the mp3 files. Starting a new game fixes it.
Ernest Blivingford

Postby Gez » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:44 pm

Savegames do preserve the music choice. This is needed because the music can actually be changed dynamically during a level.

You'd get default music when traveling to a level you haven't visited before.
Gez

Previous

Return to General