Extracting music from a Wad.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Extracting music from a Wad.

Postby JimpArgon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:49 pm

I am having trouble trying to extract an audio file from a wad. I have googled and googled and could not find anything that helped me.

The closest I have found was this thread.....
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editi ... doom-midi/

But either Slade took away that option, or I am just stupid and cannot find it.

Could someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? Or what program I need. I have tried with both Slump and the latest version of Slade.

My goal is to just get a midi out of a .mus file.... Or even a .wad that I can use with other maps to have it play said song instead. Any help would be appreciated.
JimpArgon
:) (:
Banned User

Re: Extracting music from a Wad.

Postby wildweasel » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:56 pm

The process really depends on what specific file you're trying to extract. Usually you can Export a lump from a wad file with no problems; SLADE doesn't export with an extension, though, unless the lump already has one (i.e. is in a Zip archive), so you're left to guess at what the actual format of the file is supposed to be. Bear in mind that, even in vanilla-compatible wads, the music can be either in MUS or MIDI format (as the original EXE can play MIDIs as of, I think, version 1.7). Most MIDI players worth their salt can play both formats.

If none of this information was helpful to you, which song from which wad file are you trying to extract?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby JimpArgon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:05 pm

wildweasel wrote:If none of this information was helpful to you, which song from which wad file are you trying to extract?

(34 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWwGwSb8EHI

I am only wanting the music from the 1st level of that map played. The download to the wad is in the description of the video.

Music file name "D_NIF"
JimpArgon
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Okay - that's actually a MOD-format song. You'll need something like XMPlay to listen to it. Extracting it should be a simple matter of right-clicking on D_NIF in the lump list and clicking Export.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby JimpArgon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:10 pm

wildweasel wrote:Okay - that's actually a MOD-format song. You'll need something like XMPlay to listen to it.

I am wondering will "XMPlay" change it into a midi file? Or does it make it into a .wad file for level music purposes?
JimpArgon
Banned User

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:14 pm

ZDoom is fully capable of playing MOD-format music. There should be no need to convert it into midi or any other format.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby JimpArgon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:ZDoom is fully capable of playing MOD-format music. There should be no need to convert it into midi or any other format.

Is that the same with GZdoom? because that's the source port I normally play with.
JimpArgon
Banned User

Postby Ed the Bat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Yes, GZDoom has all of the features of ZDoom, just with the addition of an OpenGL-based renderer. If ZDoom can do it, so can GZDoom.
To actually extract this song (or any file) from a .WAD, you'll need a WAD editor such as SLADE, as wildweasel mentioned. XMPlay is an audio player. I would personally recommend foobar2000, but that's mainly personal preference. But this is only useful if you wish to listen to the music by itself.
I've taken the liberty of extracting it for you, just in case you're having trouble. To use it in another .WAD, just add it the way you would add a midi, MUS, or any other music file.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby JimpArgon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:15 pm

Thank you Ed. I appreciate you're help.
JimpArgon
Banned User

Postby sithkiller008 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:56 pm

hi... I need help too with extracting audio from a wad file from a video game. Unfortunately I can't make it could you please try or explain to me how I can do it. this is the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XitT1J ... sp=sharing and this is a way to do it on windows (I am on Mac and I can't) https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=13000 if you make it I would be pleased if you could send it with google drive like I did
thanks
sithkiller008

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later

Postby wildweasel » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:29 pm

SLADE should be available for Macintosh, last I recall.

(edit) Except SLADE is for Doom WAD files, not Batman data. You know you've registered to a Doom forum, right?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Return to General