discuss your fun monster ideas

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Retraux Squid

Re: discuss your fun monster ideas

Post by Retraux Squid »

Reactor wrote:
NantoCodd wrote:In Doom, I think about monster who can manipulate basic Doom props in a way like poltergeist. An invisible monster who shows itself by blowing off candles, make lamp poles blinking and turn off, moving or throwing barrels and pickups items around, opening doors. A monster who makes player paranoid and alert without directly attacking.
Nice ideas, me and the boys have planned such monsters in our TC :) the Hallucinoid. Those guys will be a true pain in the arse for all players - they're completely invisible, wherever they may roam, even in broad daylight. Even though they're not particularly durable and their Z-Type rifles have only medium firepower, they shoot rather accurately, even from greater distances. Not like a sniper, but almost. At dark places and underground, Hallucinoids will become a serious threat.
Thankfully (and since we're nice) they shall have several weaknesses. When they attack, their cloak will be shed, and they become visible, which means, it takes about a second until they actually fire their Z-Type, and it also takes another second to re-cloak. If you have quick reactions, you can final them easily while they're so vulnerable and exposed. Their footsteps sounds also give away their location, just like the strange moving splash circle in areas with water. They also show up in the thermoscope of Thermal Shok Launcher.
>Hallucinoid
>Thermal Shok Launcher

do i smell Terror From The Deep in there?
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

In name only, I can assure you :) The names and some Terror from the Deep concepts are pretty cool and usable (and not yet implemented in Doom), even though the game itself is garbage.

Hallucinoids in Terror from the Deep are nothing more than overblown jellyfish. Hallucinoids in my TC are armed human beings with a full invisibility stealth ability.
As for the Thermal Shok Launcher, it retains some aspect from the original game, except that this FPS version is much more effective and useful, and not just a re-hash of the Enemy Unknown "Small Launcher".
The Tristania 2 Thermal Shok Launcher is not for stunning or paralysing an enemy, it's outright for killing. Its effect mechanism is the polar opposite of a grenade launcher: it uses Thermal Shok Bombs (it can hold 5 at once), which are filled with super-cool liquid gas nearing -200 °C. Unlike grenades, Thermal Shok Bombs imminently explode upon hitting anything, causing a massive "cold explosion" which freezes everything to a popsicle within the blast radius. It even works on machines or undead creatures, to a lesser degree of course. The Thermal Shok Launcher is also a very useful tool to extinguish orange flames here and there, or create small "ice isles" on hot molten lava, granting a safe pass across volcanic landscapes. The thermoscope of this weapon also allows the player to detect living enemy units anywhere by their body heat.
The Thermal Tazer will also be added to the TC for weapon slot 1 - here however, it'll be a ranged weapon with unlimited ammo.

Storyline-wise, we had to utilize such weaponry, at some scenarios, only these guns will defeat enemies - for instance, against fire creatures and Hell marines, conventional firearms are worse than useless.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Good news! My hired modelist is almost ready with the Maggot, he's already done with a textured preview. Comparing it with the movie, it's a damn good rendition. But...see for yourself!

Soooooooooo...if you desire to realize your fun monster ideas, it is very possible, as I can hire my trusty and loyal modelist for the job. The bad news is: he isn't a charity, so you shall need to pay for his work. It is your decision whether or not your ideas are worthy enough to be realized for cash, but now, it is a possibility nonetheless (nevertheless?) ;)
Attachments
Maggot from "The Mist"
Maggot from "The Mist"
Maggot_standstill_textured_concept.png (69.38 KiB) Viewed 916 times
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

A maggot... that's a dragonfly???
Darkstorm Zero

Post by Darkstorm Zero »

This was a repost from another thread, but I'm still learning, so please, have patience with me :)

I wasn't sure where else this kind of question would go but...

Does anyone else think it is possible to create a new boss monster out of the sprites used for the red Dragon and Synn from the Capcom Dungeons and Dragons games?

I have some samples of the sprites, but I am no modder or coder and I have literally no idea how to implement these. I'm more of a story and fluff writer than a coder :P

Image Image
Gez

Post by Gez »

Such sprites can work in 2D, but in 3D it'll be a lot harder to come up with a convincing reason why you can't see the body of the boss! Best case, you make it stick out of a lava ceiling or something like that.
Darkstorm Zero

Post by Darkstorm Zero »

Gez wrote:Such sprites can work in 2D, but in 3D it'll be a lot harder to come up with a convincing reason why you can't see the body of the boss! Best case, you make it stick out of a lava ceiling or something like that.
I actually have the background body for Flamewing, the Orange Dragon.
Spoiler:
Basically you simply remove the arms and head for the animated arms and head. Thats how they worked in the original game anyway, so I thing that it would work more as a background boss monster like the iterations of the Icon of Sin.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

DoomKrakken wrote:A maggot... that's a dragonfly???
It's hard to decide what are they :) the survivors in the supermarket weren't really eager to examine them more closely, and when the Arrowhead-crisis was solved, the military was too busy eradicating them :D Since they're from a different world, we cannot really decide if they're hornets, dragonflies or anything else...they're kinda like hybrids. Damn venomous ones ;)

As for the dragon sprites, they're much too wide to be sprites, that's the problem. Each time you rotate, it'll rotate with you and will look incredibly fugly. This is why I applied a modelist.
Darkstorm Zero

Post by Darkstorm Zero »

Reactor wrote:As for the dragon sprites, they're much too wide to be sprites, that's the problem. Each time you rotate, it'll rotate with you and will look incredibly fugly. This is why I applied a modelist.
I actually would have seen it more like the Baphomet, like the one from HOE Starter Pack, as in it's more of a background piece than a direct monster actor.

That being said, I do still have the side on heads for the Dragons.
Spoiler:
That last one is from the red Dragons full screen fire blast.
Last edited by Darkstorm Zero on Sat May 06, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It may not be a dragonfly (in fact, it isn't: too many legs and not enough wings) but it sure ain't a maggot either.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

We decided for the enemy name "Maggot", as it is commonly used on many creepy-crawler creatures, not just on the actual maggots :) The "scorpion-fly" term is very misleading, so we dropped that one (similar to the "bullsquid" in Half-life - the actual creature is neither).
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Well, I wasn't saying it was totally a dragonfly. I mean, in basic structure, it certainly looked like one. Of course there were some details that showed it wasn't a dragonfly... but when it looks closer to a dragonfly than a maggot... then the nicknaming convention seems confusing.

On account of the bullsquid... it looked like a combination of a bull and a squid, though it was neither. But it was nicknamed so because it looked like a hybrid of both creatures, to some extent. This dragonfly-looking maggot looks more like a dragonfly than a maggot... so I would've thought the same kind of nicknaming convention would have applied here too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DoomKrakken wrote:Well, I wasn't saying it was totally a dragonfly. I mean, in basic structure, it certainly looked like one. Of course there were some details that showed it wasn't a dragonfly... but when it looks closer to a dragonfly than a maggot... then the nicknaming convention seems confusing.
Simply because I'm a bit of a fan of dragonflies and damselflies, to me it's not much like one. I mean, yes, I can see that it gives that overall impression (and it is much more dragonfly-like than maggot-like) but dragonflies have very characteristic double wings that don't fold over their long, proportionally thin, abdomen, they tend to have quite a chunky thorax and they also have a pretty characteristic large round head with huge eyes (which to me has always made them look like a small 2 person helicopter). In flight, they usually tuck their legs up rather than have them dangling down. Insects have 6 legs, not 8 but this is clearly an organism from somewhere else.
Spoiler:
But, in fairness to Reactor, he's not talking about a scenario where an entomologist discovered the creature and systematically named it. So I can easily imagine someone being attacked by them and yelling "get these damned maggots out of my face" (or something) and them becoming "maggots from that point on.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

The term "maggot" is used very loosely, this is why we decided this monster should be named "Maggot". If you remember, Doom 3 also had a monster with identical name, but the two are unrelated (and in fact, it was Maggot Demon). They never had an "official" name either in the movie or the book. I have the Hungarian translation, but as far as I can tell, people called these things simply "bugs". Alas, there is already a definition for "bug" in computer language, and not a positive one :)

I also like dragonflies and damselflies, I think they're cute :) :) I love catching them (carefully), hold them in my hand, and watch them zigzag above the water. Some species here are seen flying with their legs hanging, but most of them tuck their legs firmly under the abdomen. Flying with hanging legs is something what yellow-jackets and baldfaced hornets do commonly. There will be also a monster based on a terrestial dragonfly, that one will be sprite-based, not model-based, but we're still working on it :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Reactor wrote:Flying with hanging legs is something what yellow-jackets and baldfaced hornets do commonly.
The way the legs hang on your model actually remind me of this guy from Quake 2...
Spoiler:
and I *think* that might actually be known as (or at least nicknamed) the Hornet.

[edit]
Actually, the dangling legs also remind me of these:
Spoiler:
They are called St. Mark's flies. They are big-ish and look a bit scary but I think they are harmless. I've seen loads of them on the hills around here during spring/early summer (which is why they get their name: they appear around St. Mark's day - 25th April).

Mind you, they do a funny looking thing with their front legs when they fly:
Spoiler:

Return to “General”