discuss your fun monster ideas

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Fun monster ideas

Post by Zanieon »

A Monster that farts the explosive barrel like a projectile at you in high speed would be nice for a jokewad.
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Fishytza »

A baron with no face and tentacles coming out where its mouth should be, green body, 250 hit points.

Initially, it's as fast as a standard baron and shoots two kinds of missiles. 1) Very weak, red tiny plasma balls which are sometimes shot in a spread and sometimes as a rapid fire attack (like an arachnotron) but stops after shooting 6 to 20 balls. These balls are very weak, doing only 2 to 10 points of damage.

2) Once this "baron" gets close enough, it shoots a big plasma ball that flashes between orange and purple. This ball will morph you into a weak little creature like a chicken/pig/bunny/mouse etc. Once you're morphed, it will let out a deranged sound that could be interpreted as laughter before it becomes super aggressive, mush faster, and desperately tries to kill you with its weak red plasma balls. And if you get too close while morphed, he will insta-kill you.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

An enemy that can't be killed permanently no matter what means except the remove command, but is very weak and slow and is only there to annoy you on some small part of a map. Sort of like the bloody skeletons from Castlevania.

An imp like monster that lurks in the water/nukage and jumps out when you're nearby, chasing you relentlessly once it's out.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

crosspost from doomwrold
Angry Saint wrote: A monster that teleports you near other monsters.
A monster that steals your weapons or ammo.
A monster that generate illusions, that is fake “holographic” monsters that keep you distracted from the true targets.
A monster that appears like a common object in the doom world, like a techcolumn or a soul sphere, but which turns in monster when you don’t look or are too near…
A monster that transforms floors into damaging lava floors.
A monster that generates total darkness around it.
A monster that generates from the dead bodies of your enemies.
how about a monster that moves you around with a whirlwhind kinda like the skull guy from heretic, but your weapons and items get scattered around the area, the monster itself would only have a moderate amount of health to even it out

i also find the "illusionist" monster you propose intriguing, just imagine the frustration of not shooting the right one, or of a hologram blcking the view of a cyber demon rocket or lost soul heading straight towards you XD

it would also be interesting if the area negation monster you proposed was combined with the disguised monster
boris wrote: A monster that can turn any sector into a crusher.
thsi sounds like it could be fun in maps designed for its use :)
Maes wrote: A monster based on Kayako from Ju-On/The Grudge. It would be small enough (e.g. 1 px hitbox and zero height) to creep through e.g. sound tubes, under grates or even closed doors (pretty much like a ghost monster ), and be able to either float or clear ledges of any height. It would be invisible, and haunt the player with a Kayako's signature death rattle. It would move very slowly, but it would be relentless and very hard/impossible to completely avoid, kinda like the Creeper in Ghoul's Forest 3. It would only kill by melee and maybe reveal its ghostly woman form only up close, as its final attack frame.
i think this would work very well if only one was used per map and it was used trouhout a whole mapset
MetroidJunkie wrote: How about a monster that morphs its weapon to match your own? That way, any circumstance you can use your weapon against them (Close for Super Shotgun, Distant for Rockets, etc), the enemy can do the same. If you think you can use the BFG against this monster, then I hope you're able to dodge a BFG blast yourself.
should make for very fun fights :)

specially if used sparingly at first and in large groups later
shotfan wrote:
A Cacodemon that can summon thunderstorms.

A Mancubus that fires cluster bombs, sending a s***ton of incendiary explosives in your direction and all around you too. Try to beat Dead Simple with that.
it would be cool if the thundercaco had a variety of lightning based moves, such as little clouds that fly around trying to sap you, occasional insta kill thnders that fall from the sky and sith style litghtinig beam shot from its mouth
Chezza wrote: An Imp that splits into two Imps if not killed in a single shot. Imagine if you hit and failed to kill several of these guys.
love it, but add archvile level speed for a world of hurt :)
raymoohawk

Re: discuss your fun monster ideas

Post by raymoohawk »

i was thinking about a monster that looks like a flying cyborg peacock spider

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maratus_volans

they would do their best to surround you, but they would not impede your movement, they would then rise their holographic tails to block your view of incoming attacks. their hit boxes would be small so that most attacks simigly pass trough them

i suppose it could work well if it was summoned by angry saint's illusionist
MetroidJunkie wrote: A monster that can randomly open up teleportation portals in front of it to redirect projectiles, sometimes towards the one that fired them in the first place (IE you). I actually got the idea from Janemba.
maybe it could look like the shield zombie from nu doom, and the shots would always bounce back when hitting the shield
yakfak wrote: an arachnotron half the size of the current arachnotron and with 100hp. It only carries twelve cells, and when it runs out of ammo it tries to hide in the darkest sector it can find
anyone who would shoot the poor little thing is pure evil!

i like this concept of monsters whose threat runs out, specially when it comes to creatures that can hurt you plenty in shorts bursts like an aracno. i wonder how a high damaging meelee only monster would work if it ran out of energy too
TraceOfSpades wrote: A monster with infinite health that does 0 damage. It only shows up when a randomly generated W1 linedef is triggered. When it shows up, it's only for a second in the form of a screamer. It's like a ghost monster. The only effect it has on you is that it disables your weapons for ten seconds. That, and will have you on the edge of your seat, never knowing when or if you're going to get freaked the fuck out, because sometimes there can be one trigger, multiple triggers, or no triggers. All random.
this is great and i bet those would be very long 10 seconds in particularly challenging maps :)
HorrorMovieGuy wrote: A monster with as much HP as a pinky that is a big head with legs. He has no attacks, but when he spots you, he runs away and starts screaming, alerting other monsters.
i'd love to see this in a stealth heavy mod. it would be great if the little guy could patrol certain areas like in wolfenstein, and once it runs away and finds other monsters can lead them back to the place where it saw you

the longer it took to find you again the more irritated the other demons would become and could kill it should it fail to find you XD

also it should look like scubasteve's pinky replacement :)

Swine & Roses wrote: A really small but fast enemy that doesn't attack but run from the player.
However, it's carrying that blue keycard you were looking for..
could be combined with above, also it reminds me of my skull key guys :)

scifista42 wrote: A malfunctioning robot enemy with reverse infighting logic: If you shoot it, it starts fighting on your side, but if it gets hit by a hostile monster, it turns to fight against you.
i'd love to see a set up with lots of this robots standing between you and a bunch of miniboss tier foes
Jon wrote: An arch-vile, but the monsters it resurrects are broken in some way; move slower, projectiles slower and weaker, or hitscan guns jam some proportion of the time... their ambient sound is sometimes/often replaced with their pain sound instead.
i like ideas like this cause the mapper has more options when they can use stronger counterpart more sparingly
Maes wrote: A "thief" kind of monster that doesn't attack, but can pick up items and only releases them if killed.
would be great to avoid key ambushes :)

speaking of that id like an allied dog that you free and can be used to retrieve risky items when you suspect a trap, but if you let it take much damage or hurt it with crossfire will turn agains tyou
kb1 wrote: A monster that hides from you, and lays mines.
A bird that bites you, and grabs you and carries you away unless you scare it with a gun blast.
Something that bites your leg and slows down your movement.
it should shake you while on the air so you loose some items or weapons :) and it carries you towards enemies, prioritizing the tough ones XD
ChekaAgent wrote: It would be cool to have a monster with a strong melee attack that doesn't have very much health, but is really fast and has 0 pain chance, so that the only way to stop it is to kill it, and if it reaches you, you're doomed. Kinda like a better version of the demon.
Srsly, why there are no monsters who have 0 pain chance in original games? The idea of non-staggering monster is not really hard to come up with.
that indeed sounds like a better pinky and as such should look like the d64 pinky
RightField wrote: A tiny arch-vile-fast flying revenant with a small almost impossible to hit hitbox and 1 dmg homing missiles.
daww :)
Avoozl wrote: I had a crappy idea for a monster which drains armor but not health unless the armor is gone.
monsters that only damage armor and no health sounds good to me :)

how about monsters that damage you more when you wear armor! XD specially if its the megaromor

also monsters that are tougher to kill or go into a sort of aggresive mode if you pick up the berserk pack
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Speaking of the thunder Caco there's actually an archvile that utilizes electricity as an attack in Scalliano's shufflemod. I wonder where did he get that monster? It's pretty good. It's color looks nice and it's death animation is superb. When you kill it, it gets struck multiple times by a lightning and then it crumbles a bit by bit and then vanishes.

I got another one, a monster that's passive until you pick up the item it protects. Sort of like a treasure guardian. Maybe as you get close to the items it'll go after you and other monsters who go there by mistake.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

A monster that, at first, appears to be a Cacodemon. However, when you attack it, it explodes like a bundle of fireworks, making a ton of extremely loud noises.
What is it called? Obviously, it's called a...
Spoiler: please don't hurt me
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

RightField wrote: A Pain Elemental that spits spawn cube spawners that can't be killed.
i like it, but the unkillable spawned monsters should die when the elemental dies

i wonder how balanced a regular p elemental would be if it took the lost souls with it when killed? it woul certainly be more popolar among players i think :)
scifista42 wrote: ^ And the spawn cubes constantly home onto you and can pass through walls until they reach you and you get telefragged by a random monster who then dances on top of your corpse.
it should dance like this XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhe9KO8Z1Y
RightField wrote: Not random monsters, it only spawns cyberdemons and archviles.

Also everytime the romero head looks at you it randomly enforces mouselook up at the roof.
a monster that does no damage, but can switch the direction your looking at sounds like an interesting enemy :)

it would only switch your direction if it managaes to hit you with a medium speed projectyle
Ichor wrote:

A slightly larger and slower than normal demon. If you kill it, it splits into two smaller, faster demons. Do it again, and it splits again. After the fourth (and last) time, you will have a bunch of tiny, really fast demons running around.

A monster that faces you and mirrors your movement and actions. You move left, he moves right (your left). You shoot, he shoots. You shoot a rocket, he shoots a rocket. And so on.

A monster that disguises itself as an item. A medikit or rocket or something. When you get close enough, it sprouts legs and runs away.
it would be fun if the smaller demons could rejoin into larger versions if you dont kill them fast enough :)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Archvile that can Force choke you and lift you up by the neck, forcing you to drop any two-handed weapon while you try to grab onto something to not die

Slow-moving near-indestructible spectre/zombieman/stealth pinky that occasionally silently warps to where you were a minute ago while you're not looking.

Indestructible flyer that orbits you constantly at random pitches and has no attack. Paired with a boss whose projectiles go right through this flyer and can only be taken out with rockets.

(I've wanted to do this for HD but it would get played out too soon) Spider mastermind that telepathically induces audiovisual hallucinations and (I've yet to figure out how this could even work) screws with the numbers, text and mugshot on your HUD to try to get you to make a wrong move.

Fallen angel that can only shoot in the four cardinal directions and moves around without turning, and instead of the usual beeline just tries to line up a shot.

Pinkies that move in formation (no idea how to do this in a map-independent, dynamically adaptable way).
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

A spirit monster that has no attack and is very weak, but fast and tries to avoid the player. When there is another demon nearby it can jump into that demon and possess it. This makes the demon faster and tougher. When the demon dies, the spirit leaves it and tries to find another demon.

A strange, flesh-like tendril monster that is made up of multiple actors. It expands itself slowly by growing new actor "nodes" at one of its multiple ends. If the monster is severed by killing a node in-between other notes, it becomes two separate entities, each expanding on their own. To kill it, all nodes of its body must be killed before it can expand new nodes again.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

raymoohawk wrote:
Ichor wrote:A monster that disguises itself as an item. A medikit or rocket or something. When you get close enough, it sprouts legs and runs away.
There WAS a "Runaway Items" mod some years ago. It basically did this but without the legs. You had to chase down giggling stimpacks and ammo boxes and whatnot.
Unfortunately, I don't know where to find it nowadays; I believe it was posted on the Skulltag forums, so obviously that download link is no longer available.
the_darknut_rises

Post by the_darknut_rises »

I'd like a fast, melee only monster that does a lot of damage but will only attack you from behind. So whenever it's in your line of sight it will run away but if you let one sneak up on you you're dead. Stick some of them on a dark, claustrophobic map and you could give a few players minor panic attacks!
SleepyPiggy64

Post by SleepyPiggy64 »

A monster that looks just like an imp but has grey colored skin. It would throw 3 fire balls in a line (kinda like how the shotgun fires). Finally it would have only a bit more health than the standard imp.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

the_darknut_rises wrote:I'd like a fast, melee only monster that does a lot of damage but will only attack you from behind. So whenever it's in your line of sight it will run away but if you let one sneak up on you you're dead. Stick some of them on a dark, claustrophobic map and you could give a few players minor panic attacks!
This would be really cool if we could somehow make monsters that fade out in a certain light level.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

[wiki]GetActorLightLevel[/wiki] should do the trick.

Return to “General”