Communities and their problems

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
gabrieloup

Communities and their problems

Post by gabrieloup »

This topic is about the one and only topic that people DON'T want to discuss : the misunderstanding between members, especially the disconnection between members and moderators.

Now, I'm not complaining about ANYTHING on this site. Nor am I going to defend Brutal Doom, nor anything similar, although I will speak about that event again.

I'm Gabriel Loup, I'm a Brazilian who lives in Rio de Janeiro. Or at least, I consider myself to be one. I'm actually French, but I couldn't give a shit any longer to filet mignon. People there bored me. They were stoic all the time. Never satisfied or happy. Apparently people like to think of France as if it were a typical comedy movie. Well, they're damn wrong. And I imagine they're worse since the ISIL attacks in Paris. So thank god I left there years ago. I'm 17. I'm awesome and I feel good about myself, unlike a lot of teenagers, especially in Brazil who are extremely hysteric and about to kill someone. I'm not a mobile fanboy who goes to Facebook spamming [censored word] popular pics to my other [censored word] friends so that they can give me free likes, nor do I go to Watsapp and make sex calls to girls who know no better about themselves. I feel that I'm a good person, most of the time that is, unless I really become a monster in a closet when people bother me. I can get as scary as a crack viced killing machine on super steroids. It's only going to get worse from that point.

On the other hand, Sergeant Mark IV, a.k.a Marcos (translated as Mark in English) Abenante, is also a Brazilian. But a pure one though. Completely BR. He lives in São Paolo, on the other hand, which is not so far from where I live, but it's still pretty far... financially (for me) lol. He's 25. Dunno about personal information and I don't care, that's irrelevant. I bet he was... 23 when the ZDoom forum event happened. He's a mature person now, or at least, I think so, until he starts bashing away his hatred against people he doesn't even know. He reminds me of Stalin, for short. Very confident about himself, but over-confident and arrogant. I liked Brutal Doom, but the mod itself just bored me. I'm more into Hideous Destructor now which is by far the BEST mod I've played in my entire life.

Anyway. The situation with me is : I've been banned from ModDB very recently. Some members there did not agree with my style of imagination and the fact that my mods were getting extremely popular quickly, with just a few dumb ideas, and they contacted a corrupt moderator and banned me as fast as I could say "fuck". I have no idea what these people told the moderator (probably that I'm satan and that I support Phil Fish or something which is not true) and I have no idea what reasons they said to get me the hell out of the site. The thing is, I did tell some of the members there to fuck off because they were spamming my pages with "lululul butthurt bitch xD" and other stupidity. I bet most of them were homosexuals due to the way of them talking between each other (or better (worse) yet, lesbians), and I believe it was 5 of them. One of them is still stalking me around, but I don't care. In fact, I like being stalked by stupid idiots because it's better for them to try someone who's immune to puny idiots, than actually letting them hurt someone who's actually fragile and weak.

Shifting to Mark IV, it's ALMOST the same problem, except it's him against... the community. I mean, this community. Sure, there's [censored word] people on the ZDoom forums, but most of you guys are fuckin' awesome. Especially WildWeasel and the rest of the ZDoom team. They respect other's opinions, they don't spam other's pages, they only argue unless it's necessary. Like they way it should be. Everything started when a single, mindless dumbfuck, started to say he was going to kill himself, blah blah blah blah blah and it got Mark's attention. Then he responded and... Yeah. It became a strain in the forums and it changed the entire consumer base of Brutal Doom since then. A lot of people didn't even want to touch his mod since then. If I was in his position, I would say jack shit. Why would I reply to a dumbfuck who's threatening suicide? The most I could do is tell him NOT to do that. But insult someone in a forum? Why the fuck would you want to do that? To get banned without any reason beside being careless? I don't care if he's right. He was. But it's something you DON'T fucking do. I find it funny that when he did that, he was 23. I'm 17 and I already know about handling such matters in a much more mature way, and I have little to no education in a lot of things, except morale, war, English and spirituality. In my position at ModDB, I had no better option. Either I defend my reputation and expose the mediocrity who wants to oppose me or else I'll look like a meaningless little bitch who plays Daikatana all day, letting these dumbasses piss on my doorstep and put "JEW" stamps everywhere. Oh and they actually wanted to upload sexual images and actually blame them on me! And even one of the moderators DID that! I fucking shit you not! I'm absolutely NOT kidding! I swear I couldn't make that up if I wanted for all my dear life. Like Gandhi once suggested (despite that he's one of the biggest humanitarian in the world), he said that it's better to fight than to run. I was loosing everything at stake. I already sensed they were going to get me somehow and I choose to act than having consequences without acting, and then feeling bad that I didn't say something. But Mark's motives are ENTIRELY different. He was facing someone who could do no harm to him, and the maximum that poor guy could do is actually harm himself.

I exposed everyone on ModDB. Every single person who wanted to stand against me like cowards, plotting against my will, got their names checked in. Their mods soon dropped dead in popularity. Nothing they could do could repair that. And soon after, I had the most viewed Half-Life ModDB mod, beating Counter-Strike, Half-Rats and some other mod all day. The guys began being extremely salty, increasing in numbers to stand against him. I still stood still. Most of them ran away and soon disappeared in fear. They started threatening me. I replied them back and told them the consequences of them doing that to me. Out of more than 30 people, only 4 of them were still plotting against me. Until one of them figured that they could bribe a moderator to ban me. Funny enough, that group was extremely frowned upon by moderators. One of the guys in that group was also banned after I was banned.

What happened then? I didn't care. I cancelled one of the mods I was working on, in fact it was one that was not really pleasant and was boring me, and... I didn't look back since then. As I said earlier, one of them stalked me through YouTube and he's now a subscriber, constantly disliking everything. Amazing. One of them still wants to fuel their hatred on me. Fine, I said. Rub your hate through my body, I become anything BUT weaker. I become stronger. (EDIT : That idiot unsubscribed me already LOL. He gave up trying to punch a wall LMAO!) And then... I... decided to become an amateur gaming journalist and a guy who simply makes videos about mods. Nothing else. Most of my mods at ModDB were removed, but two of them were uploaded by a fan of mine in another game site, and coincidentally, both of my favorite mods, which I worked for 3 years on, each of them. I was glad I was leaving a corrupt site, full of leaches and fanboys. If I start having confidence again, I might even do Doom mods and start uploading stuff here.

The moral of the story is, there is no moral. There is understanding. Because the DBolical team WERE running low on ad money, they quickly transformed all of their sites to social sites. That is, they transformed a site that was originally a site that was ONLY focused on being a database for mods, to be a fucking Facebook/Google+/Steam hybrid abomination. Of course, that drove EVERYONE to their site. And every single minute that someone spends watching a page of them without Adblock, automatically gives them money, to support the site, and to support themselves. Which means, people are paying blatant bastards, for free! They have absolutely no need to work because of this! All they can do is just sit their asses, include more Facebookey updates and bam, shower of money. They're basically the EA of mods. Fucking consumerists over. Their "review" system is completely blatant and useless. I will say this again and again, I will NEVER agree with score reviews, EVER. And I'm fucking glad IGN quit with this trend. They still write shit reviews for everything except Call of Duty, Halo and any Nintendo related game, but at least they got rid of the score reviews. I prefer forum-style reviews that you write your opinion, and then let people actually compare their opinion to the reviewer's opinion, and contrast an opinion and formulate an objective thought so that they can judge if you want to get a mod or not. But just because a lot of people vote a 1/10 on you doesn't OBJECTIVELY mean the mod is bad. It's an opinion for fuck sake. You can complain if a mod is running badly or if features are not working at all, but that's where objectiveness ends. We, human beings, successor to monkeys, WANT to make objective-ish statements in things that are completely subjective. Don't like a feature? Fine. Doesn't mean the mod itself SHOULD be a 1/10. If the mod is working properly and everything, everyone should technically vote a 10/10 obligatorily.

When you write a review to a mod, you need to know what you want to do with that review. Who are you writing that review to? To a new consumer who never played the mod? To a consumer who already played a past iteration of the mod? To yourself? To the developers? Just spewing out "lel wildweasel ur a fagit adn all ur mods suk ass my mod iz deh bestest fak u faggit" is NOT a review. It's bullshit. You know what's bullshit? Shit that comes from a bull. It's big. It's messy. It's very liquid. It stinks. And it comes right off your mouth. it's disgusting and NOBODY wants to read that except haters, who are obviously NOT interested on getting that particular mod in question. Remember, if you're not interested in something, don't brag about it. Just because I don't like having cars, doesn't mean I hate them or go around the internet and say that they're bad (well, bad for the planet's health lol). I still play driving games regardless.

ModDB will soon turn into a clusterfuck very soon if it keeps going that way. The only things that will remain there are Brutal Doom, a bunch of Game of Throne related mods, a bunch of Star Wars related mods, the occasional WWII related mod, and LOTS of Five Night at Freddy's ripoffs. Otherwise, it's already the new Tumblr of gaming. Full of people who are UNABLE to withstand anything different. If it doesn't play like Brutal Doom, it sucks. Awesome logic. I love it.

Please forgive me if the rant was long. I needed to say that SOMEWHERE and I felt that it was appropriate to say it here. Anyhow, I think both situations contrast themselves with the manner that a site is built. If you made a site that's focused on mods, you need to keep it that way. If you made a site focused in a community, you need to keep it that way. Otherwise, you're catering to two different communities at once, one that doesn't care what the site is about, and the one that cares. It clashes and it becomes something awful (no pun intended). If anything, this is a love letter to the ZDoom forums. Thank you people for making things clear in this site all these years, and remember not to ripoff Facebook or Google+ for fuck sake, please. Respect other people as much as you want to respect yourselves, play Brutal Doom if you want, or don't and instead play something like Hideous Destructor with me, lol. Never let people try to change what you think about things, always go with your instincts. ALWAYS.
Last edited by gabrieloup on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Communities and their problems

Post by phantombeta »

On the other hand, Sergeant Mark IV, a.k.a Marcos (translated as Mark in English) somethingsomething (forgot the family name), is also a Brazilian. But a pure one though. Completely BR. He lives in Sao Paolo
His name is Marcos Abenante.
Also, it's written São Paulo.
I bet most of them were homosexuals due to the way of them talking between each other (or better (worse) yet, lesbians)
batfink

Post by batfink »

Mark can be as creative as he wants but that doesn't stop him from being a huge egotistical asshole. Also, did you really need ten paragraphs to explain his/your side of the story?
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

I'm not exactly sure how your sexual preference influences the way you talk to Modmakers online.

It is true that a lot of communities house a lot of stupid people. Not necessarily assholes, just people with no common sense or a weak heart for criticism. Facebook (75%), Twitter (80%), Tumblr (95%), Deviantart (99%)...

This forum is none of that. I haven't seen idiots here like I have on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Deviantart...
I've done shit here when I was "young". I got what I deserved and that's it. I don't think there are people complaining about the popularity of other people's mods here.
gabrieloup

Post by gabrieloup »

TheBadHustlex wrote:I'm not exactly sure how your sexual preference influences the way you talk to Modmakers online.

It is true that a lot of communities house a lot of stupid people. Not necessarily assholes, just people with no common sense or a weak heart for criticism. Facebook (75%), Twitter (80%), Tumblr (95%), Deviantart (99%)...

This forum is none of that. I haven't seen idiots here like I have on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Deviantart...
I've done shit here when I was "young". I got what I deserved and that's it. I don't think there are people complaining about the popularity of other people's mods here.
Look, I'm not a prejudiced person, I have nothing against different people at all. I lived with a black, AIDS infected homosexual for YEARS, and I never, EVER, mistreated that guy and he was one of my best friends, no matter WHAT happened. But some gay groups do think that they're better than everyone else because... reasons. I don't want to find out why. Just like nazi people. They think they're superior to everyone else because... reasons.
batfink wrote:Mark can be as creative as he wants but that doesn't stop him from being a huge egotistical asshole. Also, did you really need ten paragraphs to explain his/your side of the story?
Yes, I needed ten paragraphs to explain both sides. I wanted to contrast the difference between people in different communities, and the way you should act in each of them. If you have a trouble working in a bad environment, they have a problem. If YOU are having trouble working on a good environment, YOU have a problem. That's what I meant.
phantombeta wrote:
On the other hand, Sergeant Mark IV, a.k.a Marcos (translated as Mark in English) somethingsomething (forgot the family name), is also a Brazilian. But a pure one though. Completely BR. He lives in Sao Paolo
His name is Marcos Abenante.
Also, it's written São Paulo.
I bet most of them were homosexuals due to the way of them talking between each other (or better (worse) yet, lesbians)
Sorry, I was writing in a hurry. Anyhow, I'm gonna edit the post.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'm sorry, Gabriel, but this falls under "cross forum drama." If I might quote the rules:
No cross-forum drama, please. Please don't drag arguments across forums or IRC channels. Keep it contained, and if a moderator has told you to stop, that doesn't mean to take it elsewhere, it means to STOP. Most of us really don't care that someone on another site has a grudge against you or anything like that.
I will not issue you a warning for this, but I do feel it is best to lock the thread.

Return to “General”