Any great "subtle" weapon mods? Akimbo pistols especially

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
JudgeGroovy

Any great "subtle" weapon mods? Akimbo pistols especially

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Was looking for any well-done weapon mods on the "subtle" side. Something that won't change the balance of the core game too drastically, but spices things up a bit. Could even be mostly cosmetic. Ideally something I can apply to your average pWAD.

In particular having akimbo pistols would be cool, I guess just a faster fire rate on pistols coupled with a cool weapon skin and sound. I'm also interested in any that replace more of the guns, or all of them, with similarly subtle changes. Or at least more subtle than some of the more over-the-top mods. I usually use the latest GZDoom for the record. Thanks!
Scotty

Re: Any great "subtle" weapon mods? Akimbo pistols especiall

Post by Scotty »

When thinking of pistols akimbo, Xaser's Parkour is the first thing that comes to mind.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Would there be a way to get just the akimbo pistols thing for example? I'm assuming it'd involve knowledge of how modding works, if nobody has already done a stand-alone akimbo pistols addon.

I'm also just firing up Project Brutality for the first time, looks like there's good akimbo pistols in that. That's of course more on the "unsubtle" side of mods overall. :D Duke 3D has this great addon called Duke Plus that you can customize lots of weapons settings in, etc. One nice thing is it lets you have just the akimbo pistols for example, and that could be the only change if you want.
kodi

Post by kodi »

No akimbo pistols in either, but I really think you'd enjoy smooth doom and perkristians sound mod. The former adds a ton of extra frames for monsters and enemies and has options for alternative weapon skins, monster deaths, gore, and super shotgun being able to gib monsters(this one is amazing) while the latter replaces most sound effects with far higher definition ones, often taken directly from the same sound libraries ID used. Neither of them change monster balance even a bit in reality, but they make your guns feel much more powerful and satisfying.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

kodi wrote:No akimbo pistols in either, but I really think you'd enjoy smooth doom and perkristians sound mod. The former adds a ton of extra frames for monsters and enemies and has options for alternative weapon skins, monster deaths, gore, and super shotgun being able to gib monsters(this one is amazing) while the latter replaces most sound effects with far higher definition ones, often taken directly from the same sound libraries ID used. Neither of them change monster balance even a bit in reality, but they make your guns feel much more powerful and satisfying.
Thanks, those are both terrific! (Now if only smooth doom offered dual pistols instead of the zombieman rifle... :mrgreen:)
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

I don't know if this is more/less cool than making a new thread, but I have this same question two years later! :woh:

Any subtle weapon mods, even cosmetic ones? Including ones that don't change every weapon, could do just a few, just changing up the pistol (or giving dual pistols) for example? And not changing enemy behavior.

Anything to spice up the arsenal, without changing the gameplay a ton. A bit of a niche interest I have. I love Trailblazer, but this would be a more subtle alternative, when I'm in the mood for something different than vanilla weapons or epic mods. And in general the pistol is always something I'd like to replace.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Slight-ego, but Eriguns #1 ought to be up your alley. The "Standard" weapon set is cosmetic-only (behaviors unchanged from Doom's), while the "Alternate" set introduces some pistol & SSG changes and sneaks in a few new guns. Worth a try, I'd say.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Thanks, yep I have Eriguns, that's right up the alley of the kind of stuff I'm looking for. It seems like a pretty niche thing the more subtle weapon mods, most seem to be full on gameplay changing mods, changing enemies etc. Weapons of Saturn is another good one.

Are there any that just change the pistol for example? Or just a couple of the weapons? I did just find this Guns Akimbo one on idgames, pretty solid for the pistol. Although it does all the guns akimbo, which is a bit over the top for me. Doomkid's DM Guns is a cool one. I also see somebody put the akimbo guns from Rise of the Triad in Doom2 in a recent Dual Pistols add-on on modDB, although you don't start with it, pretty cool though. 2pistols is another good one I just found on idgames by scifista, changes a couple other things also.

Return to “General”