Wishlist?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
arcticwolf

Wishlist?

Post by arcticwolf »

Hi everyone,

out of curiosity, if a wishlist for ZDoom was being made, what would you like to see on it? Which features do you crave the most, which bugs do you consider the most annoying, which tweaks do you think are most necessary?

I'll start with some points of my own.
  • * OpenGL support (including hardware rendering)
    * 24- or 32-bit colour
    * Antialiasing support
    * Drop-in support for high-res textures
    * 3D model support (MD2, prefurably)
    * Pluggable custom effects à la jDoom
    * Halos, and light sources that actually illuminate their surroundings (including Lost Souls!)
    * In-game joining for network games
    * Better handling of the server in network games going away
    * Automatic game re-syncing when consistency failures occur
What would *your* wishlist look like?
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

I'd like some high-res textures, but it might be better to simply have a pwad that has some (both just high-res versions of the originals, or edited ones with mored etails like a site linked here previously had some of).

Halos and light sources on objects already in-game (fireballs, plasma gun shots, lost souls etc.) would absolutly rule, expecially if they were colored lighting (tourches givnig off blue or green lights etc. depending on their colors).

Client/Server networking would rule as well. Once everythign else is taken care fo I would love to see this worked on. It really could revive the whole DooM scene to have some kick-ass C/S stuff in ZDooM.

I'd like Strife support. But w/o the source codes, it would be a lot of hackjobs to get it to work. There's a lot of custom stuff in that exe for Strife. Support for Build and/or Wolf3D and similar engines would be neat, but I doubt that's very doable, even with the source codes. It MIGHT be though...
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Death Mage wrote:I'd like some high-res textures, but it might be better to simply have a pwad that has some (both just high-res versions of the originals, or edited ones with mored etails like a site linked here previously had some of).

Halos and light sources on objects already in-game (fireballs, plasma gun shots, lost souls etc.) would absolutly rule, expecially if they were colored lighting (tourches givnig off blue or green lights etc. depending on their colors).

Client/Server networking would rule as well. Once everythign else is taken care fo I would love to see this worked on. It really could revive the whole DooM scene to have some kick-ass C/S stuff in ZDooM.

I'd like Strife support. But w/o the source codes, it would be a lot of hackjobs to get it to work. There's a lot of custom stuff in that exe for Strife. Support for Build and/or Wolf3D and similar engines would be neat, but I doubt that's very doable, even with the source codes. It MIGHT be though...
The source for Wolf3D at least is available, and projects like NewWolf exist - I've wondered myself in the past whether it would be possible to add Wolf3D support from those to ZDoom. It would probably require a componentized design of the ZDoom core code to allow new rendering engines etc. to be plugged in arbritarily.

As for client/server networking, what I was mostly talking about was the following: if one player starts a network game and others join in, the whole game goes down if the one who started it leaves. This shouldn't happen - one of the remaining players should take over the coordinational tasks instead.

And yes, halos / light sources should be coloured. :)
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

Yea, I know Wolf3D's is out. As is ROTT's, generic Build, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, QUake 2, Blood 2 etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on really, there are a lot of games with the srouce codes out.

ZDooM already runs multipul games. But so far they're all DooM engine. The only DooM engine game that it's missing that I know of is Strife, and like I said, no source out there for you to refrence to add stuff in.

As for putting other engines into ZDooM... right now msot of the rendering etc. is already in there. The good news is, most of the hard work is done. The console, higher res, all the little tricks.. What would need to be added first is map support. If we can manage to load a true Build map w/o converting it to DooM first, we'd be on step on the way. Then it's adding the game-specific stuff, which has been done before.

But I doubt that'll happen any tiem soon. Then again, this IS a wishlist thread, after all.. ;)
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

let's see...

* OpenGL support (including hardware rendering)
See: ZDoomGL
* 24- or 32-bit colour
* Antialiasing support
See: DoomScript, ZDoomGL
* Halos, and light sources that actually illuminate their surroundings (including Lost Souls!)
See: ZDaemon, SkullTag
Last edited by Kate on Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Destroyer wrote:let's see...

* OpenGL support (including hardware rendering)
* 24- or 32-bit colour
* Antialiasing support
See: DoomScript, ZDoomGL
Here's one more wishlist item: retain all the other features that ZDoom has.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

arcticwolf wrote:Here's one more wishlist item: retain all the other features that ZDoom has.
That'll happen when (if) they all update their engines
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

er, i don't know about anyone else but doomscript is all i want. after that randy could retire for all i care.
arioch

Post by arioch »

arcticwolf wrote:Here's one more wishlist item: retain all the other features that ZDoom has.
See: ZDoomGL, SkullTag
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

Oh gee, heaven forbid we ever add anything to ZDooM, especially if something ELSE has it. Lord knows we can't have *TWO* ports that have the same features, it would cause the heavens to split and sallow the world into a void!

The point is, as far as I've seen ZDooM is about the best port out there (Although I havn'e tried JDooM... I really liked JHeXen and JHeretic..), so much so that other prots are barely worth it. So what if ZDooMGL has colored light sources and auras, why the hell can't ZDooM have it ALSO? I mean, that would be one thing in ZDooM that increases the mood. ZDooMGL does *NOT* have a lot of the features of ZDooM that we're used to.

JHeXen had lens flares. That would be another cool thing to add to ZDooM. And yes, we have ports that have Client/Server networking.. but they SUCK. ZDooM has a very distinctive "DOESN'T SUCK" factor to it which would make it a godsend to have with some good C/S networking.

And as for sending us to ZDooMGL again.. I wouldn't touch a GL version of DooM with a 666 ft. pole until they get some models that make the spirtes look like children's drawings. And those pics at the ZDooMGL site make me cringe. They're horrid! Ug! That's why I'm wary of trying to go to 3D graphics. DooM was meant for 2D, and the 3D would have to be damn good (at LEAST Quake 2 quality, preferably Quake 3) before I consider making the switch.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Halo (n) - An unrealistic lens flare effect commonly seen in first person games, that has gotten very annoying after nearly 10 years of use in first-person shooters...

I always turn off the halos when I can. They annoy me to no end!
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

Then I misinterpeted halo as aura, which has a very different meaning for me.

Either ay, impliment 'em both and let the option to disable it. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean others who do want it have to lack it.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

I want multi dimensional global/world arrays and string functions like: str str1 = "blah"; str1 += " BLAH"; :P

edit: oh and and scripts that execute on every map load and and ... okay I think thats it
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

As long as we're going with a wishlist, I want it to spit $100 bills out of my floppy drive as well.

And... um.. you know, it's kidna hard to come up with cool stuff that ZDooM doesn't already have.

Oh yea! A "retro" switch, one stop original DooM settings (at least functionality, like no jump, wallrunning on etc.) to be able to playback original DooM/DooM ][ .lmps.
Zell

Post by Zell »

ok here goes:

Code: Select all

(::) Crouching
(::) Semi-Real 3D floors
(::) Ability to siwcth how much damage HeXeN weapons do
(::) HeXeN executable hack able
(::) Rising slopes/Lowering slopes

thats all i can think of =)

Return to “General”