wouldnt it it be cool if they add these games

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Dragonslayer

wouldnt it it be cool if they add these games

Post by Dragonslayer »

I now theres noway to do this but i just did this for fun :mrgreen: you dont have to do this
Duke nukem3d
ROTT
blood
blood 2
quake
quake 2
quake 3
hexen 2
doom 3 (when its out)
Biff

Post by Biff »

I'd be delighted if we could play Blood via zdoom at some point, Duke3D too but don't know if it's possible to fit that into zdoom code. The other games are probably better left to their original engines, zdoom as we know it probably could never be made to equal the original performance.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Duke nukem3d
Go to http://dukenews.fragland.net/portal/ for all your Duke source needs. Sure, it's a seperate program aside from ZDoom, but you can still play it on a modern computer.
ROTT
I don't think anybody's interested in this at all - they haven't started a source project or anything that I know of.
blood
http://www.planetblood.com/qblood - Blood remake with the original resources, in the Quake 2 engine.
blood 2
No need! It can be played by itself. Though it won't work with more recent graphics cards because of some engine incompatibility, but it's still playable in software.
quake
http://www.quakesrc.org
quake 2
Look around for "Quake2MAX".
quake 3
One word: WHY?
hexen 2
http://www.raven-games.com - Look in the downloads for NewHexen.
doom 3 (when its out)
id is trying their best to make this work with all systems so there should be no reason to run this in ZDoom!

(This picking-apart of your post is brought to you by Weasel Inc.)
Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

wildweasel wrote:
Duke nukem3d
Go to http://dukenews.fragland.net/portal/ for all your Duke source needs. Sure, it's a seperate program aside from ZDoom, but you can still play it on a modern computer.
ROTT
I don't think anybody's interested in this at all - they haven't started a source project or anything that I know of.
blood
http://www.planetblood.com/qblood - Blood remake with the original resources, in the Quake 2 engine.
blood 2
No need! It can be played by itself. Though it won't work with more recent graphics cards because of some engine incompatibility, but it's still playable in software.
quake
http://www.quakesrc.org
quake 2
Look around for "Quake2MAX".
quake 3
One word: WHY?
hexen 2
http://www.raven-games.com - Look in the downloads for NewHexen.
doom 3 (when its out)
id is trying their best to make this work with all systems so there should be no reason to run this in ZDoom!

(This picking-apart of your post is brought to you by Weasel Inc.)
im mean the zdoom features
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

build engine is an entirely different rendering engine, so adding build support would pretty much be like having zdoom be two engines, so I wouldn't hold your breath, though I suppose stranger things have happened
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

I want Strife support so we can have even more guns and enemies to add in. But we'll have to wait for the Strife hacking.

ROTT would be neat, but as Cyb said it's a different engine... although ROTT's engine is pretty primitive being based off Wolf3D and all.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I agree with Nanami. I think Strife should be added next if anything. Not only to play it in high res, but to have all the resources of Strife to use and play around with.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Also on the Duke3D refference. I think it would be better if somebody made like a ZDuke engine. Just think of it. ZDoom supports all wad based games (almost). ZDuke would do the same for the GRP based games. Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Napalm, WWII, Nam, Redneck Rampage I and II. It would sure be nice if someone did such a thing. Cuz I have all those games. They take up alot of space on my HD. So I install a game, then delete it when I'm tired of it. If there was a ZDuke I'd just need the grp files, not everything else along with it. Well maybe the con, and rts files to who knows.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

heh wolf3d is still a different engine, though I don't think converting wolf3d format maps to a playable doom format would be as much of an issue as converting build maps (which zdoom can already do, just you can't actually play them as originally intended), but I dunno anything about that map format.

and wouldn't 'ZBuild' be more the proper name for 'ZDuke' :P
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Yes it would, but then again ZWad would be more proper than ZDoom wouldn't it. You say tomatoe, I say tomatoe. Call it what you like. Just please bug the hell out of any available programming gurus to do it.
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

DN3D: Build Engine. Although I'd love to see ZDooM include it (IIRC the source is out, so they could add it if they had the spare time). As states, it would also allow other games to be played: Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage series, Blood, Powerslave, Whichhaven 1/2, TekWar, Nam/Napalm, WWII, Extreme Paintball. IIRC the source code released was the generic Build Engine source, so getting the specific specs for each of those games might not be possable. Just because you have the basic engine, doesn't mean you'd have ALL the information for weapons, enemies, etc. (Although, I THINK the Build Engine used the .con files for that information... I'm not 100% sure). It would be a nice side project, but not something I see ZDooM adding any time soon. (Side Node: I thought Outlaws was based off the Build Engine, but sites list it as being based off the Dark Forces engine. Makes since, since Lucas Arts made both games.. but can anyone confirm either way?)

ROTT: Heavilly modified Wolf3D engine. Again, the source code IS released, so it would be possable maybe to add it in. But this might be better done as it's own seperate project (which is being done elsewhere). It would be neat to have it in ZDooM, but again, not something I see any time soon.

Blood: See Duke Nukem 3D

Blood 2: LithTech Engine. True 3D engine used for games such as Shogo, No One Lives Forever, and even Aliens vs Predator 2. At least NOLF's source code has been released, but really, the LithTech engine right now isn't that bad. And making improvements to it won't do much to help the game. Remember, DooM's engine was old and lacking many of the features modern engines have. We don't really NEED to improve many of the modern engines yet. This one I don't see being added to ZDooM.

Quake: Quake engine. The source code has been released, but what do you really expect to improve with this? The engine already has most of the features in ZDooM (in fact, that's where most of the ideas for ZDooM came from). In order to "improve" Quake 1 (or any games using it's engine: CIA Operatives, Gunman Chronicles, Half-Life (yes, Half-Life is the Quake 1 engine), Hexen 2, and Laser Arena), you'd really have to redo the maps and models with higher poly counts. Half-Life already has official patches that does that, and it's engine already has an update, available freely through Steam (you can download the FULL version of Half-Life, and Opposing Forces expansion, and play the full single player campaigns. Last I checked, they still used the old models, however.)

Quake 2: Quake 2 engine. Again, there is very little you could do to actually improve upon the engine itself, and nothing that ZDooM is capable of. The Quake 2 engine games (Diakatana, Heretic 2, Soldier of Fortune, Kingpin, and Sin) are as good as they're going to get without revamping their levels and models themselves.

Quake 3: Quake 3 engine. Don't make me laugh. This engine is still in it's prime. VERY little improvements could be made on it, and right now, it's NOT gonna be done by one person in his spare time. No need to list the Quake 3 engine games, as it's more than moot.

Hexen 2: See Quake 1.

DooM 3: Now you're just being stupid.

Although, personally, I'd LOVE to see some Wolfenstine 3D engine games revamped in ZDooM. I do not know which, if any, source codes are released, but as pointed out, it shouldn't be hard getting the maps in. But that's not the point of concern, it's gettingall the extra stuff in that's the problem. Score, creatures, weapons, how levels behave etc... might not be possable.

And, there is still one DooM engine game missing. Strife. Last I checked, the srouce code was not released because the company that made Strife fell apart, and trying to track down the correct copyright information proved to be difficult. If someone was passionete enough, you can start firing off e-mails, and collecting information, to try to track down those who need to be tracked down. It might just be a matter of someone who wants it enough to get everyone togther ot aggree on it...
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

There are really people who've purchased every one of these? I don't feel so bad about owning a legal copy of Dungeons of the Unforgiven now.
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

I don't own ALL the games on the list, but I own many. ;)
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

Lumpy wrote:Yes it would, but then again ZWad would be more proper than ZDoom wouldn't it. You say tomatoe, I say tomatoe. Call it what you like. Just please bug the hell out of any available programming gurus to do it.
no, hexen, heretic and doom are all run by the doom engine (or a modified version, but they're all based on it underneath).

duke3d, blood, shadow warrior etc etc are all based on the build engine, thus ZBuild :P

of course there are a few duke3d win32 ports out there (and some linux ones as well) though they hardly have all the neato stuff zdoom has in terms of configurations, speed, bindings and so on has (of course zdoom has a good six years of dev time on them). I wouldn't hold your breath for the blood source though, but I suppose anything is possible
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

Yea, if we called ZDooM "ZWad", than "ZDuke" or "ZBuild" would really be "ZGrp", and that just sound silly.

As for Blood.. yea, GT owns it. Big companies are bad about releasing the soruce. The Blood 2 source is out there, but I don't see Blood 1's happening while GT has the rights.

Return to “General”