Idea: "Just GZDoom" Monthly Mapping Sessions.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Idea: "Just GZDoom" Monthly Mapping Sessions.

Postby SyntherAugustus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Inspired by QuakeOne's mapping jams I noticed while searching for Quake maps, I was hoping to start a monthly map set by Zdoom mappers that would have "Just GZdoom" (Meaning it plays like your common boom megawad but with GZdoom's mapping features).

Anyway
The rules would be.
-A GZDoom or Zdoom map (The mapset will ultimately be for GZDoom though)
-Coop starts + compatibility. This would be for GZdoom multiplayer.
-You may use any mapping feature introduced by GZDoom. Be sure to be creative. However, please do not assume dynamic lights are your main lighting source for the map and don't be excessive with them.
-You have one month to finish. If your level is not done by this time it'll be rejected unless a small 1 week extension is in place.
-You don't have to wait to start your map until the mapping period starts, meaning you can use an in-progress map of yours if you want.
-You may use whatever theme of textures you like. It is highly encouraged you introduce custom textures into your level and create a unique theme (Just make them in PNG format so they don't conflict).
-You may introduce new decorations. Just let me know in advance so we can assign you some DoomEd numbers that don't conflict with other mappers.
-For this session, the mapper has the option to add up to 2 monsters. These monsters must use non-conflicting DoomEd numbers so let me know in advance about it.
-You may not introduce new weapons.
-You may not make scripted cutscenes or anything that suggests it. The idea is to have Boom megawad gameplay with Zdoom features to emulate old Zdoom levels that did this (Say Dark7).

If this is successful, in feature mapping sessions I would really like to vote on a texture set theme (Say, a mapset of levels only using Chasm: The Rift textures). This would make some rather unique Doom levels. QuakeOne has some fanciness such as this as a result. http://imgur.com/KLlAEho

As my way of contributing right now, I have a mostly finished "Just GZDoom" level that I can incorporate to this levelset.

Anybody interested? The rules are going to be as is but I might make a change here or there in the long run.
Last edited by SyntherAugustus on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SyntherAugustus

Re: Idea: "Just GZDoom" Monthly Mapping Sessions.

Postby Athel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Hmm... unless theres some Hexen Fornat to UDMF converter that is usable, im not interested. However, why UDMF in the first place? HeXen format has a lot less limitations (I suppose?) than UDMF.

However, if I or someone else submits a Hexen Format map, couldnt you convert them for the final product (if said converter exists)?

Or will I have to start the "ZDoom Forums Mega Project" rival thread next year? ;-p

Edit: read the rules some more... are we allowed to use slopes and 3d floors? I imagine deep water isnt a problem either.
Athel
Oh god what do I do here

Discord: Athel#2406

Postby Caligari87 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Uh, UDMF is far superior. Tons of limits are removed, more options are available all around, maps are stored in a very readable text format instead of cryptic compression... The only limitation is that you're more familiar with Hexen format.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:12 pm

I'd be interested in joining something like this, the quakeone Map Jams are really neat!
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby SyntherAugustus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:36 pm

fellowzdoomer wrote:Edit: read the rules some more... are we allowed to use slopes and 3d floors? I imagine deep water isnt a problem either.

Those are common Zdoom features so yes. The only things I don't want to see is cutscene usage and heavy dynamic light usage.
SyntherAugustus

Postby edward850 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Caligari_87 wrote:instead of cryptic compression

The binary Doom and Hexen formats are neither encrypted nor compressed, just FYI. ;)
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby zrrion the insect » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:02 am

I'd be up for something like this. A theme would be a nice place to start.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby wildweasel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 am

I would like to participate, if only to actually have some reason to make a map.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Nash » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:37 am

fellowzdoomer wrote:HeXen format has a lot less limitations (I suppose?) than UDMF.

Wrong... UDMF is the newer and more powerful format. Hexen format for ZDoom modding is old and obsolete. A lot of the new shiny mapping features in ZDoom are in UDMF. And UDMF will continue to expand and be updated because it is not limited like the Hexen format.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby edward850 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:00 am

Remember he mods Doom on a phone with DOSBOX, which means that they only thing he can edit is ZDoom Hexen using ZETH. Because apparently that's practical.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Blue Shadow » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:16 am

I like the sound of this. ZDoom deserves more than just gameplay mods created for it.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:03 am

Indeed. For me stuff like Dark 7 is a reminder of better times, when ZDoom's features were used to make something that's fun to play without getting obsessed with the most involved scripting. Too bad that I'm such a shitty mapper, otherwise I'd gladly contribute.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Gez » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 am

fellowzdoomer wrote:However, why UDMF in the first place? HeXen format has a lot less limitations (I suppose?) than UDMF.

Examples of UDMF limitations:
  • In UDMF, it is possible to have sector tags and things IDs above 255. In Hexen format, the map stays simple.
  • In UDMF, if you want to change a linedef's texture by script, you can give it a lineid, even if it already has a special. In Hexen format, you have the much saner option of using Line_SetIdentification on it, then use an OPEN script to give it the special it's supposed to have.
  • In UDMF, you can set many sector properties directly. In Hexen format, you instead have to do that by plopping down special setter things in them, which is a lot more practical when you want to do that for several dozen sectors at once. Plopping down things in dozens of sectors is much safer and simpler than selecting them all, and editing the entire selection's properties in one go.
  • In UDMF, you have access to a lot of features. In Hexen formats, you don't have access to these features at all, so it's simpler.
  • In UDMF you can use named scripts. In Hexen format, you can only use numbered scripts. Having something like 'ACS_Execute 72' is so much better than 'ACS_Execute "Blue Key reveal"' because in the latter you're quite likely to input 'ACS_Execute "Barons spawn everywhere"' instead and wonder why the map doesn't work right.

It's a good thing that Raven software saw all the problems with UDMF, then traveled back in time to give the community the Hexen format.
Gez

Postby SyntherAugustus » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:40 am

I had an idea regarding Scheduling that could use some input. I'll be posting this in the other thread on DW.

Project Launch would be December 1st, right after the Turkey Day holiday bonanza. The project thread will be in Projects forum.
The mapper simply needs to "sign up" to say they are mapping. When they sign up, I will assign DoomED numbers to them (Say 16000-16100) for any amount of decoration for them. Up to 2 of these can go towards monsters (This round).
The mapper will need to submit a finished playable map by the second week of January. (2 weeks more than the 1 month deadline due to possible holiday interference).
The maps will go under a 2 week review session. The map testers will offer changes and bug fixes that the mappers will need to change themselves. If the map does not get modified by the end of the review period, the map submitted by the first deadline will be considered the final product.
February 1st would be the finalization deadline and release would be within that week.

There would be no quota of maps for the project. The project could end up having 2-5 maps and I'll still be happy something happened.
SyntherAugustus

Postby Caligari87 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:47 am

Gez wrote:In UDMF, it is possible to have sector tags and things IDs above 255. In Hexen format, the map stays simple.
Oh dear god, I almost had an aneurism until I realized you were being sarcastic. :D

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Next

Return to General