Forced Freelook?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Forced Freelook?

Post by Ed the Bat »

Once in a while, I find a map that has NoFreelook set in its MAPINFO definition. Frankly, I'd like to be able to decide for myself if I'm going to look up and down.

When a map disables jumping or crouching, I have the option to override that with sv_allowjump and sv_allowcrouch (which I set from the command line for convenience). Is there a similar option available to me for freelook?
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro

Re: Forced Freelook?

Post by merlin86 »

Let me google that for you, my friend

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zdoom+sv_nofreelook&l=1

:)
Nash

Post by Nash »

... except that is the exact opposite of what Ed is asking. 0/10

Ed: sv_allowfreelook does not exist (yet). To the Suggestion Mobile!

(out of curiosity, what map is this that's forcing you nofreelook? Never thought such a thing was even possible :/)
merlin86
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro

Post by merlin86 »

Just disable sv_nofreelook? Or maybe i'm missing something...
I mean: why should be exist sv_freelook if it is enough to disable sv_nofreelook? Just think opposite :)
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Nash wrote:out of curiosity, what map is this that's forcing you nofreelook? Never thought such a thing was even possible :/
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... hecode.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... youdig.zip
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Wow. Remind me not to bother playing those; that's a flat-out deal breaker. (yes, I know I can just go in and edit those out, but I really don't like that the feature exists in the first place.)
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I feel the same way. In fact, the only reason I didn't mention it before, when I found the first one there, was that I'd never seen it before, and just felt like pretending it didn't exist. But then this second one came out recently, and I have to admit the gimmick in it got my attention, so I was reminded of this issue.

I understand that inhibiting jumping or crouching (and I guess freelook) can be important to maintain progress flow in a map (though I think that's just a lazy way of compensating for not covering contingencies in the map properly...), and I accept that I may be in danger of sequence breaks if I jump/crouch anyway. But again, I feel that should be the one to decide how I play, and I'm thankful the console commands let me override these settings for jump/crouch. Jumping, crouching, and vertical aiming can be, and often are, important parts of my combat style (especially vertical aim for weapons with gravity-prone projectiles -- those need NOAUTOAIM), and I'm not keen on crippling my style just because a mapper wants me to.
merlin86 wrote:Just disable sv_nofreelook?
It is disabled.
merlin86 wrote:Or maybe i'm missing something...
Yes, you seem to be missing... pretty much everything about this.
merlin86 wrote:I mean: why should be exist sv_freelook if it is enough to disable sv_nofreelook?
Because it is not enough.
merlin86 wrote:Just think opposite :)
You seem to be doing a lot of that.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Huh, it seems that no matter what option is toggled, if the author wants NoFreelook, you've got no option to overrule it, unlike crouching and jumping. It would seem that the only real thing you can do is open it up in SLADE and remove/comment out NoFreelook, as I've been unable to find any other solution.

Edit: I've always been the sort that if I can do it once using vanilla gameplay, then I'm free to use crouch and jump past whatever obstacle it may be since I've done the "official" route.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Similarly, I've opted to make a new patch file for the offending maps, containing a MAPINFO entry that redefines the maps without NoFreelook.

Thankfully, it's only been these two maps so far, as far as I know. It's just that, when You Dig came out and I found that there was a possibility of more maps coming out with this... 'feature', I felt that I should ask about ways to get around it, in case this becomes a growing concern.

And I usually avoid jumping/crouching to new places if I know the map was made with the intent that I not use them. I'd prefer to thoroughly explore the routes that the 'average Joe' was meant to follow anyway, so I get to see everything.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

I'd be willing to write a patch for it, but ran into an issue:
Spoiler:
dmflags is full, and thats where DF_NO_FREELOOK is (need to add DF_YES_FREELOOK in there somewhere). I could move one of the other dmflags down to dmflags2, but that doesn't seem like a good idea. The only other thing I can think of is to move DF_NO_FREELOOK to dmflags2 and leave the old space unused, freeing up one dmflag. I'd have to change a bunch of code elsewhere in the latter case.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

If a solution can be found, that would be excellent. If not, then I guess I can live with the 'patch it over' method I'm using. Wouldn't be the first time I had an unsolvable problem with an engine feature... like my never-ending war against people using KEYCONF for weapon slots and player classes -- and that one can't be patched over; I have to rewrite their works entirely!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I have an autoexec.cfg that (inter alia) includes a command to enable crouching. (I don't remember if it enables freelook as I have no recollection of playing a map that disabled it)

Never had a problem since.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I always have +sv_allowjump 1 +sv_allowcrouch 1 (among other things) in my commandline parameters list, as mentioned in the original post. There doesn't seem to be any option to allow freelook, though, which is the crux of the issues in this thread.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The author has updated the wad and re-enabled freelook for ZDoom.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Good to know, though I'm a little surprised; Tuxlar seemed adamant about not removing it in the face of many requests and criticisms from other users. I guess I can delete my patch file for it, then.

Since these are the only two mods that I know of to use this feature, this means the problem is half solved, I suppose. Still, if it were up to me, the feature would be removed from ZDoom entirely. I see nothing but grief coming from it.

Return to “General”