Feature request :D

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Bio Hazard

Feature request :D

Post by Bio Hazard »

can the statbar be made transparent? like ZDGL?

Example wad: (only works in ZDGL so far)

CHANGE THE EXTENSION TO .WAD!!!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

There could be one problem with this that I can think of...

When you are in status bar mode, I don't think the play area of the screen goes all the way to the bottom of the screen behind the status bar.

In ZdoomGL, I think it does (but shouldn't). The reason I say this is because in the current version of ZdoomGL, the weapon sprites sit a bit low on the status bar and are hidden a bit more than they should be.

If you toggle between fullscreen and status bar mode in Zdoom, you can see the weapon rising and dropping slightly. This doesn't happen in ZdoomGL.

BTW, I tried to DL your zip, but winzip reported it as incomplete both times.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

*SMACK* i said change the extension...

read man read... zipping it actually made it BIGGER... O_o

anyway... maybe zdoom could detect if the statbar had any transp' pixels, and if it did it would go ahead and draw the weapon down lower anyway... (and its the whole screen, not just the weapon)

or randy could make an option to draw the ammo count on "no-statbar-but-have-readouts" mode
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Bio Hazard wrote:*SMACK* i said change the extension...

read man read... zipping it actually made it BIGGER... O_o

Ooops! How was I supposed to see that instruction? You only capitalised the whole thing and followed it by a bunch of !!!'s :oops:

Now that I've actually tried it, the effect is cool in ZdoomGL. Obviously if Randy wants to support something like this, there will have to be a routine something like you suggest. I'm guessing that if your bar was transparent in Zdoom at present, with the screen size working as it does, you would probably just see the GRNROCK flat behind it anyway.

It just so happens I mentioned the way that ZdoomGL does the screen size thing over on the ZdoomGL beta forums a few days ago. I guess that timmie might be going to change things to behave more like Zdoom at some point, so unless some kind of system like you suggest is incorporated, ZdoomGL may not give the effect you want soon either.

Most of the time it would be better for ZdoomGL to do this like Zdoom, because at present ZdoomGL does hide part of the weapon sprites and some of the play area of the screen in stat bar mode.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

you could always make your own status bar with hudmessages but then you'd have to tell the user to run zdoom without the status bar or hud (unless there's a way to disable it in mapinfo that I don't know about).

edit: like this: http://cyb.vect.org:8080/pics/DOOM0077.png

kinda cluttered, ideally you'd want icons for the weapons and not the actual sprites, same for the ammo. and of course all the spacing goes to hell if you don't have text scaling turned on... but I dunno I was bored :P
Hirogen2
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Where can I get the WAD shown in 0077? Could you put it up?
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Cyb wrote:kinda cluttered, ideally you'd want icons for the weapons and not the actual sprites, same for the ammo. and of course all the spacing goes to hell if you don't have text scaling turned on... but I dunno I was bored :P

This is the extra hud icons I'm using for my Hellspawn demo:

Zell

Post by Zell »

hey, seeings everone is doing this hudsuttf, is it possible to make the face show up without the bar ( i dont look at my health, i look at the face, but i dont like the clutter that the bar makes)
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

lwm: neat, finish hellspawn already! :P

hirogen: here's the latest version: http://cyb.vect.org:8080/misc/hudlib.zip

I added icons like I said I would and moves stuff over a bit so it looks less cluttered now.

to use it, open up an existing zdoom map (or convert a regular doom one) and stick in #import "hudlib.acs" (the path from acc to the acs file anyway) at the top of the script lump. Now run that wad along with hudlib.wad and zoom out all the way (so the zdoom hud and status bar are gone). To remove the hud puke 905 (in the console) will do it, and to bring it back puke 906. Those scripts take an argument as well, the map number, but leaving it blank will do it fine on the current map.

the major problem right now is that it only displays 100% correctly in 800x600 or multiples of that since that's what I play under. With a fair amount of putzing I'm sure I could get it to display right on most resolutions, but this is all you get right now :P

let me know what you think

edit: oh yeah, here's a screenshot: http://cyb.vect.org:8080/pics/DOOM0078.png

edit again: zell: yes it's possible, but there's no way to make him look in the direction he gets hit from, but you could still do a decent job of faking it with hudmessages
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Hot damn, LWM and Cyb.

You are doing some nice work there. Makes me turn with envy.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

bump! sorry wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, but I 'finished' it if anyone is interested:

download: http://doom.vect.org:8080/other/hudlib.zip
text file: http://doom.vect.org:8080/other/hudlib.txt

it now works for the majority of standard resolutions and their multiples (320x200, 320x240 and 400x300) and it works fine in 1024x768 but 512x384 behaves weirdly because text scaling seems to have no effect in that resolution (if anyone even uses it).

it shouldn't been too hard to expand or remove things from, and it's pretty simple to add to any existing zdoom map (instructions in the text file). that's about it, enjoy!
Zell

Post by Zell »

ok another questoin - how would we go about chaging the graphics of ur hud cyb, if we wanted to? just simply make GFX the names of the stuff in hudlib.acs?
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

oh, good call Zell, okay I updated the zip file to include the pcx images and script for imagetool necessary to edit the fonts (I also fixed some transparency in one of the fonts in the wad) and also there's a brief thing in the text file about it. you'll need to know a bit about fonts and imagetool (http://www.zdoom.org/files/utils/imagetool.zip) to do so, but it's pretty easy since you pretty much can just run the script and stick the lump into a wad as long as your edited graphics aren't in the improper format.

Return to “General”