Heretic/Hexen replacements project

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
NiGHTMARE

Heretic/Hexen replacements project

Post by NiGHTMARE »

You know it'd be pretty cool if there was a resource wad which replaces all the Heretic and Hexen monsters, power-ups and weapons with more Doom-ish equivalents which, once done, any ZDoom wad maker could use.

After all, there are plenty of suitable sprites already out there, it's just a question of compiling them altogether, renaming them, etc. This would obviously take quite a bit of time to do, so how about several of us work on it together?

Anyone?
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

[newproject]NiGHTMARE[/newproject]

It would be a good idea though, all those new weapons and monsters that have been replacing Heretic/Hexen ones would be available to all mappers (fancy a megawad with 15+ weapons and 50+ monsters in?). Heh, you could even throw my rocket launcher/railgun thingy in... (but that's not been released, so not yet)
Zell

Post by Zell »

well, i have almost finished my Green Demon( replaced with a blue cacodemon! muahaha) replacment for HexeN if you guys are interseted ^_^ (he has some cool death frames =p)
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

I'm working on a project that has quite a few (not all, but almost all) of the Hexen and Heretic monsters, weapons, and inventory items thrown in, and will eventually be modified with Doomy stuff. For example, we'll be using the Dark Imp I made, and possibly the stone imp and maybe some other junk. It'll be a medieval thing so no technology and such, but most of the monsters will work.

If you care, he're a silly shot I took after importing the stuff:

LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

My Hellspawn demo is along similar lines. I'm not replacing everything though.

http://home.midmaine.com/~lilwhitemo/Doom/

Couple that aren't listed (or finished):
Hell's Battery / Korax
Former SSG Marine / skinned Scripted MarineSSG
Marine Berserker / MinotaurFriend
Fishy / HereticImp

Plus one I'm not using:
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I'm going to start gathering together info such as hitpoints, frame names, etc...
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Post by wildweasel »

If you need some help, let me know...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Over at my Tripod/Lycos site (at the bottom of the page) is a file that may help people wanting to import items from Heretic/Hexen into Doom. It simply uses one of many possible methods to remove the conflicts that can occur with sprite and sound names between the games. Essentially, any Doom monsters which conflict with Heretic/Hexen items have been hacked to remove the conflicts.

Note the file only contains the lumps needed to support the de-conflicting. There are no additional Heretic/Hexen lumps in the WAD. I did it that way

1. To avoid a huge file on my site
2. To avoid distributing all the sprites from Heretic and Hexen. Yeah, I know you can get them anyway...

The site is at http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/ If you have Norton Internet Security or a similar program running, you may need to disable it before the site will let you download. NIS seems to fool Lycos into thinking you are linking to the files from an outside site, so it redirects you to a message telling you that you are linking from an outside site, then sends you back to my site to repeat the process. :?
Ty Halderman
... in loving memory ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

Enjay: I noticed at your Lycos page that if I did a "Save target as" it would give the redirect error but if I did a Shift+Click (Open in new window, basically) it worked okay. I don't have NIS so I don't know if that's yet another factor.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ty Halderman wrote:Enjay: I noticed at your Lycos page that if I did a "Save target as" it would give the redirect error but if I did a Shift+Click (Open in new window, basically) it worked okay. I don't have NIS so I don't know if that's yet another factor.
Thanks for the feed back. I'll need to keep that in mind if others are having problems. When I have NIS disabled, all methods of DL'ing work for me (click, save target as, open new window). I guess Lycos' code to get round remote linking is far from perfect.

The only reason that site even exists is because I needed somewhere free to dump things like example files and similar crap. I never intended it to have a front page. Originally all the stuff was remote linked from my other page (or from forums etc). But Lycos changed things so that wouldn't work and I had to stick a front page on. So, I guess Lycos do have a point. :P
Hirogen2
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Enjay: What you could do is making a bba.html on Lyocs -- which instantly redirects to bba.zip, and link bba.html from btinternet. Could work...

Return to “General”