Console Doom Integration WADs

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Ded10c

Console Doom Integration WADs

Post by Ded10c »

Long time lurker, first time poster, so hi.

I've been looking for a WAD that would allow me to play the console doom levels through without going through repeats of the originals - a missing map pack, if you will - for a good while, and never come across anything that caught my eye. Xaser's Lost Episode WAD had me occupied for a bit (it's fantastic, by the way, nice job), but it didn't quite have the vanilla doom flavour I was after. After much searching I finally got to thinking "well, if there are so many WADs out there it can't be *that* hard to make them; I have experience in modding other games, why not give it a try?" and started learning how to use XWE. I sat down, worked for a bit, then gave up. Rinsed and repeated a few times over a few months (there was always something more important to be done) and eventually came out with this.

As far as I'm aware this contains all of the exclusive maps from the ports.

So, pack contents:

condoom.wad: Main part of the pack, with maps sourced from Kaiser's consoledoom wad. Adds the episode "No Consolation" to Doom 2. I'm still not quite sure on the map order, but this is the best I've come up with so far.
- Hell Gate
- Hell Keep
- Twilight Descends (secret: The Mansion [secret: Club Doom])
- The Marshes
- Threshold of Pain
- Redemption Denied
BETRAY.wad: Seperate WAD for people who don't want it.
- Underhalls (secret: Betray)
SEWERS.wad: Can't have one without the other.
- Hangar (secret: Sewers)

...and a download link.

Everything here is done by Samuel Villarreal (Kaiser), Michael Bukowski (BETRAY), David Calvin and David Blanshine (SEWERS). All I did is re-order the maps, trim out the fat and add two triggers.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Console Doom Integration WADs

Post by wildweasel »

I don't suppose The Lost Episodes is what you're after?
Ded10c

Post by Ded10c »

AHadley wrote:Xaser's Lost Episode WAD had me occupied for a bit (it's fantastic, by the way, nice job), but it didn't quite have the vanilla doom flavour I was after.
I've played it and loved it, but it remains a novelty to me. I'm a collector/archivist type; I like to have everything that was officially released. I didn't have the console maps in their original forms or a way of getting them without unnecessary bulk and repeating maps, hence these wads, which present them as close to their original form as I felt was possible while keeping vanilla Doom's atmosphere. Xaser's pack shows the maps in such a different light that it might well be completely original - and completely fantastic, which I can't overstate enough. These WADs, however, do not exist for the purpose of being original; they simply exist for what they contain. With the official release of an NRFTL WAD, we now have all the console maps available to the PC version in their original forms.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

2 suggestions:
Ded10c

Post by Ded10c »

Well, I've been working on this a bit more (after a long break while I work on other projects) and I think it's pretty much done. I've completely revised the map order now, so no more special episode. Now we have the following:

condoom1.pk3: Due to the console maps' contents this requires Doom 2 assets, so it needs the Doom 2 IWAD with Ultimate Doom loaded as a PWAD. The only evidence of this should be the new maps' contents.
- Knee Deep in the Dead: Hangar > (Sewers) > Nuclear Plant
- Inferno: Hell Keep > Hell Gate > Hell Keep [PSX] > Slough of Despair
- Thy Flesh Consumed: Unto the Cruel > Twilight Descends > (The Marshes > ) Threshold of Pain

condoom2.pk3:
- Underhalls > (Betray) > The Gantlet
- The Suburbs > (The Mansion ( > Club Doom)) > Tenements
- The Living End > Redemption Denied > Icon of Sin

In my opinion this is the closest thing we'll get to a fully comprehensive map order. If anybody has a suggestion for improving the order, please do throw it out there. Right now I'm wondering whether Hell Gate would be best placed at the end of The Shores of Hell , with one Hell Keep running into the other.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

AHadley wrote:Well, I've been working on this a bit more (after a long break while I work on other projects) and I think it's pretty much done. I've completely revised the map order now, so no more special episode. Now we have the following:

condoom1.pk3: Due to the console maps' contents this requires Doom 2 assets, so it needs the Doom 2 IWAD with Ultimate Doom loaded as a PWAD. The only evidence of this should be the new maps' contents.
  • Knee Deep in the Dead: Hangar > (Sewers) > Nuclear Plant
  • Inferno: Hell Keep > Hell Gate > Hell Keep [PSX] > Slough of Despair
  • Thy Flesh Consumed: Unto the Cruel > Twilight Descends > (The Marshes) > Threshold of Pain
condoom2.pk3:
  • Underhalls > (Betray) > The Gantlet
  • The Suburbs > (The Mansion > (Club Doom)) > Tenements
  • The Living End > Redemption Denied > Icon of Sin
In my opinion this is the closest thing we'll get to a fully comprehensive map order. If anybody has a suggestion for improving the order, please do throw it out there. Right now I'm wondering whether Hell Gate would be best placed at the end of The Shores of Hell, with one Hell Keep running into the other.
I personally think Hell Gate should stay in Episode 3 (it's Hell Gate, after all), & Inferno should start in the following order:
  • Hell Gate>Hell Keep Part 1: The Infernal Palace (PSX Hell Keep)>Hell Keep Part 2: Forsaken Keep (PC Hell Keep)>Slough of Despair
Also, the ending of Doom 2 should go like this:
  • Monster Condo>Redemption Denied>The Spirit World>The Living End>Icon of Sin
Also, did you put the Arch-Viles back in this map's version of Suburbs?
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Do your betray & sewers wads have the same bug fixes as the official ones here? Also what's the difference between your wad & the lost episodes (besides the lack of alpha levels)?
[Edit]: fair warning to everyone using this mod, the main condoom wad's not fully compatible with the BFG version of DooM 2 (particularly it's No Rest For The Living Nerve addon) as confirmed in this thread. The betray & sewers wads work fine however.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

If you load the Betray and Sewers wad files separately, do you just play them as individual levels, or are there ways to integrate them in the campaign with secret entrances like they were on the console?

Is there any way to make a complete classic DOOM experience with the No Rest For the Living episode and the bonus console levels?
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

enderandrew wrote:If you load the Betray and Sewers wad files separately, do you just play them as individual levels, or are there ways to integrate them in the campaign with secret entrances like they were on the console?

Is there any way to make a complete classic DOOM experience with the No Rest For the Living episode and the bonus console levels?
Actually, the Betray and Sewers wads included with this project do exactly that. The original ones I linked in my previous post, however, don't....Which gives me an idea.
Instead of putting all those PSX/Jaguar levels in a separate episode, what if they were integrated into the original campaign sequentially like how the Betray and Sewers wads are? The Mansion & Club Doom levels could easily fit between the Suburbs & Tenements, as they were in the PSX version, as well as Redemption Denied fitting between Monster Condo & The Spirit World. The real issue would be the DooM 1 PSX & Jaguar levels; It'd be rather odd to play Twilight Descends, The Marshes, & Threshold of Pain after defeating the Spider Mind in Unto the Cruel. I also don't know where to place Hell Gate & Hell Keep.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

3371-Alpha wrote:Actually, the Betray and Sewers wads included with this project do exactly that. The original ones I linked in my previous post, however, don't....Which gives me an idea.
Instead of putting all those PSX/Jaguar levels in a separate episode, what if they were integrated into the original campaign sequentially like how the Betray and Sewers wads are?
WADSmoosh actually does this.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Cool! thanks! WADSmoosh can produce PWADS, right?
Ded10c

Post by Ded10c »

I've been going through all my files and archiving them, and I ran across the source files for this again. I filed them away and then thought "you know what, I'll go check how that's doing". Then I discovered I'd never actually released the new version on here, just Doomworld.

This version should fix most of the issues discussed elsewhere in this thread. Things seem to be pretty much as per my earlier post, with the addition of the SNES secret exit in Refinery (which just leads to the next level, because repeating the secret level is more trouble than it's worth).

Download

I will probably not be returning to this, but if you find something that's fairly easy to fix give me a shout so I can sort it out. Unfortunately I'm not likely to get time for anything more.
gitm

Post by gitm »

Ded10c wrote:I will probably not be returning to this, but if you find something that's fairly easy to fix give me a shout so I can sort it out. Unfortunately I'm not likely to get time for anything more.
Could you repost the original pack somewhere? The link in the OP is dead. I've already played through Doom 1 & 2 and I'd like to play through just the console-specific bonus levels, and your "No Consolation" episode (plus Betray and Sewers) seems like the closest thing.

Post by Guest »

Just wanted to leave a thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. A mod that integrates all the official bonus levels from different platforms and their secret exits into the main game.

It does seem to work fine, but I only tested the hangar - sewers exit yet. I am using the Doom 3 BFG Uncensored WADs from Doom and Doom 2, as well as Brutal Doom V21.pk3 and it seems to work fine. Might there be any incompabilities? That Doom 2.WAD from the BFG Edition does already have the Betrayer level in them, for example. Not sure if they would conflict or if it works either way.

If nobody knows I might just try it myself and see if everything works fine and then report back. Thanks a lot again for your work! Definitely a cool "mod". More like a DEFINITIVE Edition of the original Doom games. ^^

Post by Guest »

You are missing 1 more map my friend.
Pandemonium(the console version) is heavily altered than the pc one and should be considered a different map.

Return to “General”