Simply Deathmatch

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

actually, you're probably better off not building nodes at all, zdoom will do it for you whenever you load the map, and it has a much better nodes builder when it comes to polyobjs than any external ones avaliable

on a related note, if you do use an external builder, don't use WA's internal one, it's shit. I'd recommend BSP or Warm, those are my favs (BSP doesn't get along with polyobjs tho it seems)
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

so how do i work these? i read somewhere that you could use and EXTERNAL nodebuilder in WA but i cant figure it out...

and how do you make it so ZDOOM does it for you?

i also find it odd that this thread is 2 pages long and im the only one who has said anything about the original topic... :lol:
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

well, zdoom will auto-detect if the nodes are stale. to make them stale the easiest thing is to move a vertex slightly and then move it back and save the map without building nodes (to turn off building go to Tools -> Options -> Files tab -> Node Building, select none

to use an external builder you select external in the same tab, I never used it however (I always built nodes from a cmd prompt) but I'm sure someone else here can answer that
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

is there a way to get zdoom to dump the nodes it builds?

and WA wont save without nodes...
it says: Save Operation Failed...
Biff

Post by Biff »

Start zdoom this way to always build nodes:

zdoom -file whatever.wad +gennodes 1
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

after the nodes are built, type in the console: dumpmap (new map name)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Woah, I didn't know zdoom would do that. If I use dumpmap before actually joining the game, zdoom crashes. After I join, it works OK. A new wad is written to disk, but the map is stripped of all "things". Other resources such as music, sounds, graphics, data lumps are also gone.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Biff wrote:Woah, I didn't know zdoom would do that. If I use dumpmap before actually joining the game, zdoom crashes. After I join, it works OK. A new wad is written to disk, but the map is stripped of all "things". Other resources such as music, sounds, graphics, data lumps are also gone.
after dumping the map, couldnt you just use XWE or WinTex to copy the NODES lump from one to the other?
Biff

Post by Biff »

That might work fine, Muffin Ruler. :)

As far as external node builders, I'm still having best overall luck with WARM. If you are going to use it often while working, you'd probably want to use the command line argument to specify that it not rebuild the reject table since that can take quite a while on a large map (takes more than a minute for simply deathmatch on 1 Ghz machine).

Oops, just checked, I think your fast option is to use the -z argument, which simply fills the reject table with zeroes. Leave off the -z for your final build if you want a proper reject table. You can see the command line arguments by simply executing warm.exe without any wad file named on the command line.

Return to “General”