[Survey] How many of you CANNOT run GZDoom's OpenGL renderer

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Can your computer run GZDoom's OpenGL renderer?

Yes (perfect, smooth performance)
71%
No
17%
Yes, but very crappy performance (please elaborate)
12%

Total votes: 232

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [Survey] How many of you CANNOT run GZDoom's OpenGL rend

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problems being mentioned here point to some low end bottom-of-the-barrel hardware with shitty drivers, presumably Intel HD 3000.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Hd3000 always worked here, the performance isn't great, but enough for many doom mods, if I remember there was only one lagy map in turnt...
He may have some ati hd3200 or something older that and consider legacy gpu.

Edit: Last time I used the hd3000 it didn't even started gzdoom for lack of gl4.0?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

ibm5155 wrote:Can't believe Edward missed a key question: What's your hardware? (CPU, gpu, ram, OS)
And for the last, you could test msi afterburner to check if the CPU or gpu (or both) after the faulty
Thanks for pointing that out... :)

CPU: Intel Core i7
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
RAM: 4 GB
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

That gpu is 2% slower than an intel hd5500, and the intel hd5500 is 66% faster than a intel hd3000.

So it should work just fine, also, OpenGl 4.1 support.

You got a rare gpu :O, this one is a gpu that can be replaced by a newer one (idk the socket name)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

ibm5155 wrote:... this one is a gpu that can be replaced by a newer one (idk the socket name)
What do you mean by this? Should I try to find a new driver or something?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's a Quadro 1000M which implies to me that it's a laptop, and laptops don't tend to have swappable graphics chips...
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

He might be referring to MXM modules. These are replaceable like a normal graphics card, but actually finding a new MXM module is an exercise in futility.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Yeah, I mean the MXM module, (Mobile PCI Express Module).
Since I only saw pictures from that gpu on that model, I think he may have a MxM module, but it's better to check, the gpu may be soldered
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I dunno who, but someone here said something about using NVidia Control Panel Settings to improve GZDoom's performance. I won't go into detail about the needless difficulty of the whole process, but I downloaded a new driver for my Quadro, changed settings, and BAM! I can run maps like Inasnity's Edge and Sapphire like it's nothing! The Old Dreadful for Guncaster still lags like a snail, but at least GZDoom doesn't crash randomly anymore.

I am happy to announce that I have changed my vote to "Yes (perfect, smooth performance)"! :D
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

@DoomKrakken
With the Old Dreadful it might be your CPU lagging, not the GPU, since AFAIK the projectile spawns a fuckton of actors...
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I do remember that it does that... but do you remember the "Gurumaster" from Russian Overkill? That thing seemed to spawn a crapton of actors too... especially the Guru-Death-Ball. Yet it runs perfectly fine on my computer. I've a feeling it may be something different with the code... but I'm not sure what.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I'm just going to throw in my two cents - havent had any problems with gzdoom, it's my favorite port so far. But I have noticed something strange. The newest dev versions seem to lock me into windowed view, unless I drop the resolution to match the monitor's. The old 1.8 didn't seem to do this. Am I missing something?
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Post by epiccolton26 »

I can run OpenGL up to version 1.8.10 of GZDoom, though I can't do that for 2.x versions due to the age of my computer.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It's probably not your computer... but just your GPU.
duke 3d

Post by duke 3d »

It's all the mapper and modder fault! Ppl build maps that are just too heavy for doom to render and place too many monsters on screen.

Brutal doom for instance makes doom maps lag because it adds so many blood sprites that you just can't disable.

Hunter's moon has a demo map that is all blocky, but it runs like shit, much much worse than doom 3 or quake 3.

Tested chillax in gzdoom to see how it compares against zandronum. In certain scenes I got 7fps in gzdoom and 1fps in zandronum. Woho!! 7x faster!! But a jump from 1 fps to 7 fps is still shit, unaplyable. Blame chillax!

Doomcenter is another wad that runs like shit because it's a city and the buildings doesn't touch the ceiling. Doom wasn't meant to render cities.

There is one thing that can make wads such as complex doom and slaughterfest run smooth on i3m cpus with intel HD: God's intervention.

Wads made today would require a cluster of a hundred, maybe a thousand, 486 cpus to run. Ppl make wads using a GTX 560, i5, 6 GB of RAM, they don't care about ppl with pentium 4, atlhon 64, core 2 duo, celeron, semprom, with 2 GB of RAM and Intel GMA, HD2000, HD3000, Geforce 4, Geforce FX, Radeon 9200, Radeon X800....

Return to “General”