I'm back!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
GooberMan

I'm back!

Post by GooberMan »

After months of no monitor, followed by a week of having my video card blow up, I'm finally back online. I'll be aiming to continue work on The Gateway Experiments, and try and get more people working on Doom - The Arcade game. For now though, I'm interested in what kind of features have been added to ZDoom in the past six or so months.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ummmm who are you? :P

Seriously, good to see you back. From memory, there haven't been a huge boat load of new features added, but quite a few things have been tidied up.

A few new things spring to mind:

Zdoom will use it's own internaly generated inventory if you bring a Heretic/Hexen inventory item into a doom game.

If you give a weapon the ability to do freezing damage (like in Hexen) Zdoom freezes the monster being killed and puts a grey translation on it so it looks frozen - and then it smashes just like in Hexen.

Projectiles for spawning with scripts and destroyable items have been added to Decorate.

Monster code pointers can be used on player weapons.

You can define episodes in MAPINFO

There are a couple of highly anticipated features for the next version:

Uncapped frame rate. Zdoom will no longer be limited to showing things at 35 fps, but will instead use whatever your machine can handle.

Textures, patches, flats and even sprites can be used interchangably on floors and walls without doing anything special to the lumps concerned.
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

Good to see you here again , long time no see. :)

If you want, you can take a look at the new scrapbook for some info.

hope to see more of your new and fresh ideas!
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

You're back! More importantly, when are you leaving?
BBG

Post by BBG »

Cool. Good to see you back Goob. BTW, Quick Reply = teh awesome
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hey, its Gooberman! Just out of curiosity, do you need some sounds for Doom Arcade or Gateway Experiments? Cuz I'm working on a WAD that's entirely resources (no maps) that works with any Doom level...we may be able to merge projects or something. I could work on the weapons/monsters/suchwise, and you could work on the rest...
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

wildweasel: I'm aiming to reuse as many of the original Doom resources as possible for Doom Arcade, but custom graphics are already used (as you've no doubt noticed), so it could be a good idea. I guess I'd have to look at your current resources. The Gateway Experiments will definately new textures though.

Speaking of Doom Arcade, any mappers want to work on it?

sphagne: That's alotta information in that thread :P I'll get to reading through it eventually...

And in other news, I've finally started work on the level editor I had in planning last year, Mooditor. Started work on it last night, WAD reading and graphic loading is already in place, will work on maps next. I'll be planning on making the next map in the Gateway Experiments with this new editor, so you won't see it for at least a few months :P
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

GooberMan wrote:And in other news, I've finally started work on the level editor I had in planning last year, Mooditor. Started work on it last night, WAD reading and graphic loading is already in place, will work on maps next. I'll be planning on making the next map in the Gateway Experiments with this new editor, so you won't see it for at least a few months :P
w00t!
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Currently converting the graphics to DirectX 32 bit textures on the fly, but it seems to be having memory problems, so I might just stick to Doom standard paletted 8 bit textures :| It could just be GF4 MX's being as dodgy as GF2 MX's though...

Return to “General”