some questions/requests?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

some questions/requests?

Postby Cyb » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:02 pm

Okay, a couple things. First off a map I'm currently making I have one section of it that I want to be grayscale, and as far as I know there's no way to make gray colored lighting (if I try it just seems to tint the sectors gray). So that leaves the old boom colormaps, which still work, only it seems you can only use them in conjuction with transfer heights, which makes for some problems, even with transfer_heights(x, 6); (seems to make slope sectors disappear). I was curious if there was a way to apply a colormap to a sector similar to sector_setcolor (or the easy way out a way to make grayscale lighting without all these colormap bollocks) or a not too complicated way to add it? :P

Next is there a function in acs like strlen() ? mainly for hudmsg delays rather than counting out all the chars (which isn't hard with a text editor, I'm just lazy hehe).

next, some behavior with interp points I've been meaning to ask about. For moving cameras it seems if the last point in the path doesn't point to the first point on the path (making the path circular) then when you activate the camera it will just skip over the first and last points on the path. However, if you try that with actor_mover (making the path non-circular) then zdoom will stack dump (sorry I don't have it, I haven't used actor_mover in a while, but I'm 100% sure that was the cause of it). are these intended behaviors?

hmm what else I know I had something else to say hrm... okay I guess that was it :)
Cyb
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: some questions/requests?

Postby randi » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:30 pm

Cyb wrote:First off a map I'm currently making I have one section of it that I want to be grayscale, and as far as I know there's no way to make gray colored lighting

It should be easy to add another parameter to Sector_SetColor that instructs it to desaturate the light before coloring it. Somebody else asked for this too, but I forgot about it.
Cyb wrote:Next is there a function in acs like strlen() ?

No, and I'm not sure one really belongs in there either, considering that all strings in ACS are static.
Cyb wrote:For moving cameras it seems if the last point in the path doesn't point to the first point on the path (making the path circular) then when you activate the camera it will just skip over the first and last points on the path.

That's because the first and last points define the shape of the path and are not actually part of the path themselves. If you use a linear path instead, then those points will be part of the path.
Cyb wrote:However, if you try that with actor_mover (making the path non-circular) then zdoom will stack dump (sorry I don't have it, I haven't used actor_mover in a while, but I'm 100% sure that was the cause of it). are these intended behaviors?

A stack dump should never be considered intended behavior. If you make a sample level, I will have a look at it.
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2003

Re: some questions/requests?

Postby Cyb » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:00 am

randy wrote:It should be easy to add another parameter to Sector_SetColor that instructs it to desaturate the light before coloring it. Somebody else asked for this too, but I forgot about it.

excellent :)
randy wrote:No, and I'm not sure one really belongs in there either, considering that all strings in ACS are static.

well yeah I understand, like I said it was mainly just me wanting to be (really) lazy and not having to grab the lens myself which only takes an extra couple of seconds anyway, but yeah I agree it doesn't really belong. btw, slightly on/off subject, are acs strings null terminated?
randy wrote:That's because the first and last points define the shape of the path and are not actually part of the path themselves. If you use a linear path instead, then those points will be part of the path.
A stack dump should never be considered intended behavior. If you make a sample level, I will have a look at it.


okie dokie: http://cyb.vect.org:8080/misc/amover.wad.gz

really simple, only two interp points, the first time I got this error was actually a couple months ago when I was working on that map in massm2 with the robot that leads you around, but I never got around to reporting it for some reason.

oh, and I thought of a request I forgot as well, any chance of adding a black translation for hudmsgs (CR_BLACK or along those lines), might come in handy ;)

that's all I can think of again

[edit] actually I lied, I just thought of a couple more, but I'm really tired so in case they're totally insane I'll put off posting them until tomorrow when I'm rested. time to pass out
Cyb
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby Cyb » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:31 pm

okay, I think these are sane, but feel free to yell at me if they aren't:

multiple skys per sector: actually this might be possible with transfer_heights, (or not at all, heh) but along the lines of having standard sky for the ceiling and a portal sky on the floor.

would thingwait() be possible, ie delay the script until the specified thing stops moving. mainly this would be useful for cutscenes as most of the time you want a thing to reach a certain point before continuing the script and monster routes tend to be often random and they also seem to stop within a certain radius of the path spots rather than directly on it. normally I use a monster walkover line in conjunction with activatortid() so it's not necessary, I just think thingwait() would be cleaner. of course I don't know it it's even possible. might be another wfds moment heh
Cyb
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby Xaser » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:22 pm

Cyb wrote:multiple skys per sector: actually this might be possible with transfer_heights, (or not at all, heh) but along the lines of having standard sky for the ceiling and a portal sky on the floor.


I've seen this done before with transferheights, but it had some HOM on the lower part (under the transferheights wall).

Cyb wrote:might be another wfds moment heh


WFDS?
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Postby Kate » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:32 pm

WFDS™

See also: Wait For DoomScript!™
User avatar
Kate
... in loving memory ...
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby Xaser » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:10 pm

Destroyer wrote:WFDS™

See also: Wait For DoomScript!™


Heh.

OMG! Did I just make a 1 word "heh" post?
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Postby randi » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:06 pm

Cyb wrote:would thingwait() be possible, ie delay the script until the specified thing stops moving.

For a monster following a patrol, create a PatrolSpecial actor (editor #9047) with the same TID as the patrol point you want to trigger it. Whenever a monster reaches a patrol point, it triggers any PatrolSpecials with a matching TID.

For things following interpolation points, InterpolationSpecials (editor #9075) work the same way.
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2003

Postby Cyb » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:17 pm

ooh that's certainly helpful to know
Cyb
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests