Cool mods people might have missed.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Gez

Re: Cool mods people might have missed.

Post by Gez »

"Haze" is a good title, honestly. It's short and evocative.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

You think so? I thought it on a whim actually, that's why the title picture has an expanded name "Lost in Cold Haze", which seems even dumber for me :)
But it doesn't really tie with the storyline or the game, besides that it's hazy...
It was kind of like this - Stephen King had Mist, so I had... Haze. :roll:

But the biggest issue I have is that there's already an FPS game called Haze :|
https://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/haze
It creates confusion in searches, which is why I always strived for titles not seen before elsewhere.
I wasn't aware of that because when I was making my Haze I had no internet connection for like 3-4 years (2007-2011 something-ish)

Anyway, I do wanna do something with it in the future, but when will that happen no man knows :(
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:
Rachael wrote:This is a cool enough mod that I think people should have the opportunity to try it - even if it does require an ancient copy of ZDoom to work properly.
Are you aware of any particular issues with newer versions of the engine? I just tried it with GZDoom 4.4.2. I didn't go too far (visited a few of the sub-maps, wandered around the cottage, got bitten by a dog etc) and it all seemed to be working in much the same way as I remember it doing so when I first played it some time ago.

The only issues I saw reported at the console were a few truncation of floating point warnings and some missing flats.

And it is indeed a very interesting and atmospheric mod.
It was designed for the software renderer and the r_visibility is set to a really high value to emulate a dense fog but not too much of a disruption in visibility at close range. If you attempt to run it in the hardware renderer a lot of the effects like the windows shining on the floors will not work properly. It's "playable" but it's certainly not visually designed with the modern version of GZDoom in mind. Also - there was a bug that was fixed with a more recent version of ZDoom that was present in the one that the mod was developed for. If you play it with any version of ZDoom since that fix, including GZDoom, the fix will obscure visibility by quite a lot.

You have to run it from the batch file to get the settings as designed for the mod.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I am glad to hear it from you NMN. It may not seem like it, but Haze, Harder Event, Shut up and Bleed and even some Hideous Destructor were all inspirations for my survival horror mods, because they blew my mind :)
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

You know I'm really happy people haven't forgotten Haze :) it makes me believe, much to my content, that considering the time spent on it as wasted was very much wrong.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It really was a great mod, Nmn. If you manage to find a coder to help you with the more difficult parts of the mod, you could probably easily finish it, and possibly even modernize it for current versions of GZDoom so that the intended effects will not be version locked. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nmn wrote:You know I'm really happy people haven't forgotten Haze :)
As soon as I saw you reappear on these forums, I started wondering about Haze. What you did was very well crafted. A very original mod, and very memorable.

Also, if you add "a" to the long version of the title, I think it sounds a bit better: "Lost in a Cold Haze". Either version of the long title works though because the phrasing could be taken to imply the haze in the game itself, or a mental haze/fog (i.e. confusion, feeling lost etc).

Nothing wrong with "Haze" as a title on its own though IMO.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Rachael wrote:If you manage to find a coder to help you with the more difficult parts of the mod, you could probably easily finish it
I wish :) FIrst I need to sort my life tho :( There's too much commotion atm, partially thanks to the virus, partially to my own bad decisions.
But none about that, let's stay positive :) And thank you for the kind words.
Enjay wrote:Lost in a Cold Haze (...) mental haze/fog (i.e. confusion, feeling lost etc).
Interesting you mentioned that. In a rewrite of the original story I've had ideas about time travelling/space shifting which would lead the player to question wether it's an illusion, a memory or reality.
Lost in a Cold Haze sounds very nice :) I will keep that in mind.
Kinda sums this project.. lost in the memories of the doom community...

A small re-rail of the topic: Hey, do you all remember Foreverhood? That was an awesome mod, and Skadoomer - he's one of my stars in the sky - extremely supportive and had great ideas for me when we corresponded.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nmn wrote:A small re-rail of the topic: Hey, do you all remember Foreverhood? That was an awesome mod, and Skadoomer - he's one of my stars in the sky - extremely supportive and had great ideas for me when we corresponded.
Foreverhood was a real landmark. One of the first big "this is going to be a completely new gaming experience from scratch" mods/games. Definitely another unique and very original project.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Nmn wrote:Bumpy.
Is this only about fully released mods, or do unfinished mods (but playable) also count?

Here's a link to my "Lost in Cold Haze" (or simply Haze... I suck at titles) mod:
http://paul.drdteam.org/HazePrototype.zip
Woah, I remember seeing screenshots of this ages ago! Cool stuff, the atmosphere in it is really strong. I ran around for a while and then got mauled by a dog... RIP
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Heeey there, thanks for the kind words :)
Yeah the combat system, mean to emulate the Resident Evil grab-n-get-bitten mechanic is very flakey. I'm no programmer...
So I highly recommend that NOTARGET cheat be kept on ;)

BTW has anyone tried warping to map99? - it has access to all weapons, key items and documents with the old and crappy plot. It's disturbing in hindsight, but not really believable.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

This mod is pretty tense. Check it out!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/hives-and-minds
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

Here's a mod you may not have heard of: ALALN. Think Hideous Destructor, but simpler and less punishing.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/alaln-v8
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Artman2004 wrote:Here's a mod you may not have heard of: ALALN. Think Hideous Destructor, but simpler and less punishing.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/alaln-v8
Trying this out now!

Hey, I got to thinking. I've been here awhile now and i remember seeing some mods that had health effects and such (beside hideous destructor which is the top realism mod ever produced) but I don't believe i've ever seen a STAND ALONE mod that made health more complex - wounds requiring treatment, permanent vs temporary damage, ect.

Does anyone know of anything like that?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Selaco - a new boomer shooter on GZDoom

Post by Redneckerz »

And it possesses FEAR like AI, apparently. Just announced.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlaySelaco/

Return to “General”