ZDoom Wiki Thread

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Postby Gez » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:53 pm

This is actually an issue that requires people with wiki-bureaucrat rights. Fortunately, I'm apparently a bureaucrat on the ZDoom wiki, so I should be able to help you.

Specifically I cannot update your email (only someone with direct access to the database could do that, which means only Randi can do that), but you can create a new user and then I can merge it with the old user.
Gez

Postby Xaser » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:24 pm

Neato -- thanks in advance there.

Speaking of... the good news is I found the password (KeePass decided not to sync it to this PC :/ ), but the bad news is that every login attempt was met with "You have made too many recent login attempts. Please wait 5 minutes before trying again." Maybe it meant Jovian minutes rather than Earth minutes? :P

Anyway, just created a new account, "XaserAcheron". Merge or destroy at will.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Gez » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Okay. Xaser has been merged into XaserAcheron. If you want, I can now rename XaserAcheron into Xaser and then there won't be any difference with before (except that your user id has gone from 15 to 2510 but nobody's gonna notice that). Just confirm to me that you can still log in.
Gez

Postby Xaser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:03 am

Login works great now. Thanks!

Yeah, just "Xaser" would be preferred. Minor potatoes. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Gez » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 am

Done.
Gez

Postby Xaser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:11 am

Aaaarrrgh. After the change, I'm now getting "You have made too many recent login attempts. Please wait 5 minutes before trying again."... again.

I'll actually try again in 5 minutes, but no guarantees it'll be correct this time.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Gez » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:29 am

Try clearing out your cookies, perhaps.

I have no real idea, this is on the level of "turn it off and back on" but hey, worth a try.
Gez

Postby Xaser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:36 am

No dice, unfortunately.

After some quick googling about this issue, it seems MediaWiki stores the "number of login attempts" variable in cache -- my guess is that it's keyed on username, hence why "XaserAcheron" worked and "Xaser" didn't. :P

Also-unfortunately, the recommended solution in the first few threads I found was "restart the service," and given there's no randi present, that may take a bit.

May I ask one last favor: renaming me back to "XaserAcheron"? If that works, I'll stick with that; if not, then welp. :P

Thanks, and sorry for being a pest.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Gez » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:00 am

Done.
Gez

Postby Xaser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:07 am

Works now -- thanks again. I'll consider this a success. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Xaser » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:07 am

Double-post to put this in the correct thread: Something's definitely borky with the wiki. After finally getting the login issues sorted out, my account got hit with an "Action Throttled" thing yesterday, and I'm still getting it again today (obviously after many hours since my last login). That ain't right.

This has hit the point where it needs randi-level intervention, likely. Really inopportune timing considering we're trying to get ZScript documented. :(
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Gez » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:13 pm

Alright, you are victim to edit throttling. The way to remove that curse is to put you in a group with noratelimit. The groups that have that thing are limited to Administrator and Bureaucrat. So I figure that if Randi doesn't solve it soon I can just promote you to administrator status...
Gez

Postby Xaser » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:19 pm

I certainly wouldn't mind. Normally that'd be a bit nuclear, but the timeout on the throttle is either stuck or too darn long, which inhibits normal use.

[I probably need to be rate-throttled on wiki complaints so Gez can save some brain cells. :P ]
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Gez » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:25 pm

It's been long enough. If you're still getting throttled messages, I'll promote you tomorrow.
Gez

Postby Xaser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Hmm... I might be okay. I was able to log in successfully and make some edits, but from a different computer. Need to check to see if it'll still let me do it from the same IP address that was giving me issues, since that seems like it may have been a factor. Will verify tomorrow.

[EDIT] Still seems okay. Hopefully things will stay sane this time around. :P
Xaser
anarchivist

PreviousNext

Return to General