ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Gez

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Gez »

I want to get rid of [wiki]Template:OpenGLsmall[/wiki], [wiki]Template:OpenGL[/wiki], [wiki]Template:Gzdoomfeaturesmall[/wiki], and [wiki]Template:Gzdoomfeature[/wiki]. Motive: since GZDoom is now the main development branch of the ZDoom tree, they have outlived their usefulness. If there's no objection I'll do that in the coming days.

(Also that li'l Ghostbusters logo is really obsolete and its association with GZDoom is now tenuous at best. "Former avatar of main developer" is kind of an obscure link.)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The OpenGL logo should remain to denote features that do not work with software rendering. The GZDoom logo, where used, should be reviewed for signifying a hardware rendering feature. And the Ghostbusters logo had been stupid when it was added and even more so now. Off with it!

The use of the OpenGL logo should also be reviewed, because at least dynamic lights now work in the software renderer.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I figure the whole "not supported by ZDoom!" bit at the very least is obsolete; and generally context should make it clear when something is available in software rendering or not.

Also things start getting hairy when you consider there are two different software renderer and they can be in truecolor mode or not. Having to go with caveats like "only available in OpenGL and/or softpoly truecolor" would be very cumbersome, which is why I'd rather just let these tags go away completely.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Short of true dynamic freelook, Softpoly is even less feature-rich than the current Carmack-based renderer in both palette and true-color mode. It doesn't even have dynamic lights or voxels.

Basically, once it became obvious that ZDoom's rendering structure is more of a long series of tests for each individual actor, things started becoming more and more cumbersome for Softpoly.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a lot of features but at this point it is nearly impossible to write a renderer from scratch for ZDoom.

Short of a mere mention of the CVAR that activates it, along with a short description of what it does and its features, I don't think it's even worth documenting Softpoly until it matures a little bit more out of its beta stages.
JPL

Re: ZScript Documentation

Post by JPL »

Dunno if this thread is the appropriate place for it, but: support for a new Actor property was just now merged into GZDoom, and I went to edit the wiki but account registration is closed.
If someone doesn't mind adding an item for me, this should go on the Actor properties page right beneath the entry for FloatBobPhase:
FloatBobStrength value

Sets the magnitude of the bobbing behavior created by FLOATBOB. Default value of 1.0 produces behavior seen in vanilla Heretic/Hexen, higher and lower numbers produce a more and less extreme bobbing, respectively.
Blue Shadow

Re: ZScript Documentation

Post by Blue Shadow »

[wiki=Actor_properties#FloatBobStrength]Done[/wiki].
JPL wrote:Dunno if this thread is the appropriate place for it
Moved to a better place.
I went to edit the wiki but account registration is closed.
Try contacting Gez or Rachael about that.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I just made a build for myself and FloatBobStrength is reqally quite nice. :)

Even nicer (never happy :roll: ) would be if we could control things like amplitude and speed separately but this definitely helps with a couple of things I've wanted to do for quite some time.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Just a reminder: When adding an actor or class definition, omit the methods' definition to keep things compact. If one wants specifics, they can look up the methods in the source or game data (gzdoom.pk3). [wiki=Classes:RandomSpawner#ZScript_definition]Here is an example[/wiki].
Gez

Post by Gez »

I've reenabled registration.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

if there's a warning that a specifit feature only Works in gzdoom, why not a warning saying that a specific feature isn't implemented in zandronum or that it Works diffefent compared to gzdoom/zandronum
Gez

Post by Gez »

Because that's extra work. Are you gonna volunteer to spend the next few years feature-watching Zandronum to update articles when they get support for feature X, Y, or Z to remove a notice that it doesn't work in Zand?
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Gez wrote:Because that's extra work. Are you gonna volunteer to spend the next few years feature-watching Zandronum to update articles when they get support for feature X, Y, or Z to remove a notice that it doesn't work in Zand?
Indeed it's quite hard, but maybe changing the skulltag banner to zandronum (example page) and also adding notes for specific functions that on zandronum it may do another output if used with clientside scripts.
I could do the last one because there aren't too many functions that have a different output compared to zdoom ones.
D2JK

Re: A_SpawnParticle... Reogrenized.

Post by D2JK »

On the wiki, the "startalpha" named argument should be "startalphaf".
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Fixed.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Why does the ZScript article list on the left menu not appear consistently?

e.g. I go to https://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor, I get redirected to Classes:Actor, and I can see this:
Then I press F5 and this section disappears.

Overall while navigating the wiki, "ZScript" shows in most pages, but doesn't show anywhere in Classes namespace including https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes.

Also, some nice person merged ZScript Actor page with Classes:Actor, and now there is no list of virtual ZScript methods anywhere and I had to go to github :?

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”