ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
ZZYZX

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by ZZYZX »

Posting here since Gez didn't respond to half of my message in PM.
Basically, as GZDoom has DECORATE replaced with ZScript, there are supposed to be some changes to how actors and other entities are documented.

Messages split due to maximum quote nesting reached.
Spoiler: Related PM history
So as this is now on the wiki thread, the question is what to do with the structs.
There aren't too many structs, but they often have simple names like Sector, or Line. Many of these names are already taken and not related to ZScript at all. One fine example here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

ZZYZX wrote: There aren't too many structs, but they often have simple names like Sector, or Line. Many of these names are already taken and not related to ZScript at all. One fine example here.

Since they normally represent exactly the stuff these pages are about, it may make sense to at least keep a link between the documentation of the item and its internal representation.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah I'd definitely be in favor of having the ZScript implementation of sector detailed on the sector page and the ZScript implementation of state detailed on the state page. It only makes sense to me.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The recent news will mean some changes will be needed in the way the wiki is organized, especially wrt. stuff such as the {{new}} and {{git}} templates.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:The recent news will mean some changes will be needed in the way the wiki is organized, especially wrt. stuff such as the {{new}} and {{git}} templates.
Before I move forward with this, I need some idea of how to handle the changelog. There's 3 options: Move it to GZDoom, move it to QZDoom (which inevitably gets GZDoom's commits anyway, but the repository is plagued with merge commits that don't really tell you much about how the development process is going), or do one for both (utterly messy and undesirable, but doable).

The advantage of doing it with GZDoom is that you can link commits in the wiki a lot faster. Graf does plan to bring in QZDoom at some point (which I have no problem with), so this is probably the best solution.

The advantage of doing it with QZDoom is that, while the repository updates slightly slower, you also get QZDoom's specific features.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'll be honest here: At the moment the QZDoom commit tree is a bit too cluttered. I think for the time being GZDoom makes more sense, of course you can do both, but what I've seen of specific QZDoom commits it isn't really that much of interest to the common user. Also let's not forget the download numbers. With all due respect to your work, they are currently 1/6th of GZDoom for 2.3.1 vs. 1.2.1 and were 1/40th for the entire 2.3.0 vs 1.2.0 versions.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Alright. I'll point it at the GZDoom repo instead, then. As I stated I am really not a fan of doing both.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Alright - after playing with the changelog system a bit - I've come to realize there is no possible way it's going to survive the transition from its present host to MancuNET unless I can figure out some way to integrate Randi's mixed-language code into it - which at this point exists in multiple parts of the server.

I *think* I've got it to pull from GZDoom's repository, but it may take a bit to update. As long as Graf didn't do any rebase merges on GZDoom's repo from ZDoom - all existing commit links should continue to work - not that there will be many from the wiki in the first place since they get removed when there's a release.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Gez wrote:The recent news will mean some changes will be needed in the way the wiki is organized, especially wrt. stuff such as the {{new}} and {{git}} templates.
I used this template for that, not sure if it's entirely correct though.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That will probably work better.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Ok so, where do we put ZScript methods and such? Do they go into Classes:Actor/blablabla or Actor/blablabla?
I don't think we can use the names directly, as there is for example ACS Spawn() and static Actor.Spawn() with different syntax. Documenting both in the Spawn page would be excessive bloat IMO.
Besides, there are non-actor structures/classes that have methods in them.

There are also global function calls like random()/frandom(), and currently these are only documented in DECORATE expressions page. Not sure if that page is suitable for ZScript.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Eruanna wrote:I *think* I've got it to pull from GZDoom's repository, but it may take a bit to update. As long as Graf didn't do any rebase merges on GZDoom's repo from ZDoom - all existing commit links should continue to work - not that there will be many from the wiki in the first place since they get removed when there's a release.
There are some that remain around, see {{rev}} and {{cs}}.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Missing local parameter for [wiki]PlaySound[/wiki]
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's a Wiki, why don't you edit it?
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

I destroyed GZGit and turned it into a redirect since currently it was somewhat broken/I couldn't get it to work, plus the {{git}} works just fine with the recent change anyway. No point in having it.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”