ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by NeuralStunner »

A_CountDown is provided for Strife support. It calls ExplodeMissile, which does internal handling for missile impacts. It does not kill monsters. (There's much more to that than simply jumping to the Death state.)

In essence, if you use this on anything that's not a missile, you get undefined behavior. More succinctly: Don't do that.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

NeuralStunner wrote:It does not kill monsters. (There's much more to that than simply jumping to the Death state.)
Yep, you right. And while it really works glitchy (without call A_Die or DamageThing(0) for ex.) on monsters, but it perfectly fit for killing non-interactive actors which are non-missiles at the same time. Btw, turning bSkullFly as false also gives a some hints about function real working area. ;)
Anyway function will successfully send an actor to its Death state while haven't bother about nature of actor. So description is still wrong: it can be used on actor of any type.

Looks that still nobody care about obviously wrong A_CheckBlock description, funny.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Updated [wiki]A_Countdown[/wiki]. Is it better now?
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Yep, it's better now. ) But would be much better if you specify that "destroy" in this case means forced jump into caller's Death state.

So, there is need to fix _CBlock and Random2[]() descriptions too.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

but the description for random2 is exactly what graf said it is....?

okay the random(0, mask) - random(0, mask) bit is misleading, but its otherwise accurate
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Corrected the equivalent formula of random2() and added info on SetRandomSeed() based on Graf's post here.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

A_CheckBlock updated. I didn't copy the example as is, but I added all the state sequences which jump back to the See state sequence. This is so that the redefined See state sequence is jumped to instead of the original actor class's.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I was just browsing the wiki and I noticed...

It's still using Graf's old avatar as a GZDoom-only symbol. I'm pretty sure I remember Graf saying that it was never his intention to associate that avatar with the program, clearly the image is someone else's IP anyway (who you gonna call?) and it simply won't make sense to anyone who doesn't know the origin of the image.

Shouldn't the Wiki be using the current GZDoom icon or something?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Probably, but I believe at this point it might be more appropriate to simply remove the "GZDoom-only" thing entirely.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'll put [wiki=Talk:ZScript_custom_properties]this[/wiki] here too, just in case it goes unnoticed: [wiki=ZScript_custom_properties#Format]the prefix feature[/wiki] for custom actor properties can't be used in user code. So the info about it either needs to be reworded as not to give the impression that the feature is usable in user code, or removed entirely.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

In my opinion it would be better to still document GZDoom's internal stuff but mark it as such - the source code is open to all, and it would suck if useful information about it is removed just because it can't be used by someone who won't work with it. The wiki is still a valuable resource for developers as well as end-users - so at worst, it should be stowed away where it can be searched up by someone looking for that info. (Besides, just because it isn't useful to end-users now does not mean it never will be)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Okay. I left it in and added a note. Thanks for the feedback, Rachael.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

May I request the update on the wiki page https://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs:Display?
There is a description of vid_renderer variable.
1. Is it replaced by vid_rendermode now (which is undocumented at the moment)?
2. Probably changing it doesn't require engine restart anymore.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

So, despite being a new user, there is a lot to cover for both Doom and ZDoom along the way and putting myself to good use here for the greater communities.

Thanks to Community Guide Gez for putting me through the paces.

For the ZDoom wiki, which i have registered to but i cannot yet edit or start articles at, i have the following.

Request:
An page on GrzbZDoom. The ZDoom Community Build was famously used as the starting ground for GZDoom, but it was Grubber's earlier personal project. After ZDoom Community Build (aka .96x) got released and GZDoom started, Grubber actually worked on his port again, seperately from GZDoom or the ZDoom Community Build.

This is by Grubber himself reinstated as GrzbZDoom again. Like ZDuke, Few bothered as GZDoom was the ''Next Big Thing'' but as i was researching and collecting non-ZDoom related materials, i came across the necessary information.

I wish to create either a seperate page for this (As its definitely distinctive of the Community Build and its ZDoom related) or an edit on the Community Build page. Due to this release being its own entity however (As in, its fully seperate from ZDoom Community Build or the first GZDoom build) i am leaning towards the former option.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I made a page for GrbZDoom. I think the custom player class implementation is all that got from the post-Community Build releases into the mainline, but if there's more, feel free to investigate and document.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”