ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Gez

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Gez »

SoulPriestess wrote:I know it sounds redundant, but I'd like to keep both the way you have it, and the information that came from its respective pages. I think there's a way to make duplicate items with the wiki (template, maybe?) that allow you to keep only one page for information but present that info on multiple pages.
Yes. You can transclude pages, and you can mark elements as "<onlyinclude>", "<noinclude>" or "<includeonly>" as well.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Gez wrote:transclude
Nice one ;)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Cutmanmike wrote:http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_properties

Yay or nay? If Yay then I'll do the same for the flags page.
Definite Yay. I can't count the number of times I've gone looking for specialized flags/properties and had to search around to find them.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Definite Nay!

Duplicating information will only result in one thing:

Incorrect information!

That page duplicates a large amount of info now that has to be maintained twice and only a handful of people who know about it.

Either link to the page with the relevant information or set it up so that the information is only there once. But with the current setup I guarantee that a few months down the docs will be out of sync and you start complaining again!

I am not willing to accept this just so that some lazy people don't have to click a few links. If this isn't set up in a better way I will delete the redundant information again!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Very well, then we'll need some idea of what a better way could be. Templates perhaps? That way it would be a matter of putting {{whatever}} on the actor page and list all the {{whatever}}'s one after another at the bottom of the actor properties page. Then all you'll have to do is edit the Whatever template to change information used on both pages at the same time.

I'm up for doing that, should I do it?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

What about Gez's idea? I've never run my own wiki yet so I have never really bothered to get to know the in's and out's of the whole system. :P
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Not exactly sure how these include tags work, or why we'd need em if we're using templates. Gez can you fill me in on these? :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Basically, it's the same thing as templates, though they don't need to be actual templates. (And it wouldn't be justified to make them actual templates I think.)

I've done it for [wiki]Inventory properties[/wiki] and the two places where it's transcluded, as an example.

Now it would have been possible to directly transclude the [wiki]Classes:Inventory[/wiki] page instead of (re)creating another page, except that the include tags wouldn't have helped once the same thing is applied to flags, since you'd want to transclude the "properties" part in the properties page, and the "flags" part in the flags page.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

So it's just the same as templates but with pretty much any page? I guess that works. Make searching a bit easier too I guess.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Done! Any more complaints before I do the flags? :)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Cutmanmike wrote:Done! Any more complaints before I do the flags? :)
Looks good to me, Cutty. ^^
Gez

Post by Gez »

Just for consistency, keep the class name's CamelCase when it's present (WeaponPiece, PuzzleItem).
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Just so people know, I'm going to have a go at going through my wad library and writing articles on the (G)ZDoom wads I have that aren't there already. I will only add one screenshot for each wad, regardless of size. This may not go too well, as I do have quite a lot, but I'll do what I can before interest dies.

EDIT: Already hit a snag, as none of cutty's platformer maps have proper links! I'll only add ones where I can find some sort of permenant (preferably /idgames or website) link.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I removed them from my webspace because no one seemed to download them. They're not really projects either way and are more of something that belong in a pack or something.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'd disagree. They're popular round here, and I'd say they are worth a download. :P

Oh, and so far I've gone through my folders up to and including Cyb and Doom WADs. That's 12 WADs already. There's a load in my Doom2 WADs folder that I'll probably save until last... and there's also such WADs as the KZDoom series, Enjay's wads and a variety of other folders I have for specific authors... However I don't have every ZDoom wad, so if others would fancy going into their folders and doing the same as I am (a paragraph or two of information on a map, plus a screen shot isn't exactly hard work) that'd be great. Particularly as my laptop starts to overheat after a couple of hours of being on, so it starts crashing things and needs some time to cool down, thus slowing me down and putting me off. If you want an idea of what I'm hoping to put in, it's most wads that were listed before we had standards to conform to, plus a few newer ones that aren't there.

It'd help really if authors like T667 and Enjay would write things for their own projects (that aren't already up there), as they are still active. However, I know how boring this is and I don't blame them if they don't :P

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”