ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Cutmanmike »

Just posting to say well done on adding all these wads to the wiki. I get a lot of links to my site from my wad pages (even zportal!) so it seems some people still read the wiki for wad info.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Yeah, I get it similar too. I'm going to carry on with it next time I've got time to kill (probably tomorrow) as there's still quite a few I haven't gotten up there, many of which are still pretty good or at least of historical significance (and some which, admittedly, are pretty crap)
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_flags#Additional_Flags

Is that all the additional flags? I couldn't find any more.

Btw: [wiki]Template:Tip[/wiki], example here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_flags

Also you know how DMFLAGS works where you can add the flags together and you'll get a unique number which sets a bunch of flags? What is that called exactly?
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

Cutmanmike wrote:Also you know how DMFLAGS works where you can add the flags together and you'll get a unique number which sets a bunch of flags? What is that called exactly?
I think the term would be a 'bit field' or 'bit mask' depending on how exactly you're using it. The dmflags variable would be a bit field, and if you're doing a check on it or changing it you would be using a bit mask to set what you want changed.
Last edited by Macil on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Cutmanmike wrote:Btw: [wiki]Template:Tip[/wiki], example here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_flags
Mmmm, not to be over-critical, but could we possibly find a different light bulb graphic for that? The one you're using there looks kind of....... cartoonish. :?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

HotWax wrote:
Cutmanmike wrote:Btw: [wiki]Template:Tip[/wiki], example here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_flags
Mmmm, not to be over-critical, but could we possibly find a different light bulb graphic for that? The one you're using there looks kind of....... cartoonish. :?
M_SKULL1 or M_SKULL2 would do, since it was used in the manuals for tips.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Feel free to replace the image.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

What's this crap about A_ActionFunction?

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Action_functions

I've never had to use that to use action specials in my actors. Is it bullcrap or what?
Gez

Post by Gez »

TDA removed the passage already. That said, looking back at the previous revision of the page, I don't see a problem with it. "A_ActionFunction" is (was) obviously a placeholder, that you replace with whatever is the name of the special. (At least, it was obvious to me.) It simply stated that if there are parameters, you put them between parentheses, and if there aren't you don't put parentheses at all.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Gez wrote:(At least, it was obvious to me.)
I disagree, since code pointers are in the same format anyway and it could also lead to confusion that action functions have to be preceded by "A_"
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheDarkArchon wrote:
Gez wrote:(At least, it was obvious to me.)
I disagree
Sorry, it was obvious to me; whether you want it or not. :P
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Gez wrote: Sorry, it was obvious to me; whether you want it or not. :P
OK, so I was originally going to say something slightly different.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

It was also apparent to me but I could see how it might cause confusion. Still, that line was part of the page when it was first created by Graf 4 years ago and nobody complained about it before now. :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Just as an update - I've put another 13 wads up as of late, bringing us up to 85. I still have a couple to go that aren't in my Doom2 wads folder, and then after that I have no idea how many there are - but certainly we'll be over 110 when I'm done I think.

I'll point out that I don't have many notable ZDoom wads that haven't been mentioned on the wiki yet, and as I don't have them I won't write the article, so can somebody else do those? Key examples that I csn think of offhand would be the following:

Daedelus - Alien Defense (don't have anymore because I didn't like it)
The Community is falling 3 (don't have anymore because it crashed too much for me to get past a certain area)
Doomworld Forums (all three of them) (don't have because I felt it might be inappropriate to keep them with my youngest brother being quite young still)

and a lot more besides. Maybe when I say I'm all done, can others do the same as I'm doing? Obviously it's just (G)ZDoom (and ST?) only wads that have to be mentioned, not merely limit removing or whatever, so it won't be too many after I'm finished I think. Might be worth avoiding particularly crap wads, such as anything to do with glassyman. I'll not be mentioning any that I can't find an easy link to btw.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'd have suggested vanilla/boom/limit-removing mods as well if they required specific compatibility options (like the sector sounds in Suspended in Dusk), but now ZDoom will take care of that automatically so it's not even needed to speak about them.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”