ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Redneckerz »

Gez wrote:I made a page for GrbZDoom. I think the custom player class implementation is all that got from the post-Community Build releases into the mainline, but if there's more, feel free to investigate and document.
Well, there you have it. I was to post exactly that :) using the ZDoom Community Build page as a basis, but you took all the fun out of it. :lol: just kidding.

I will do some additional maintenance, but yeah, like ZDuke, its more historically significant than anything else, but ill give it some testing. Thanks for putting up the page!

EDIT: Maintenance/additional info done on Grubber user page, Source Port and ZDoom Community Build pages for reference/clarity sakes.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Redneckerz wrote:EDIT: Maintenance/additional info done on Grubber user page
I might be a bit old-fashioned, but I consider user pages aren't articles, and should only be touched by people other than the users they belong to when absolutely necessary.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Gez wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:EDIT: Maintenance/additional info done on Grubber user page
I might be a bit old-fashioned, but I consider user pages aren't articles, and should only be touched by people other than the users they belong to when absolutely necessary.
Duly noted. I looked at the page history prior and saw Grubber's last edit was 15 years ago, so i considered it unlikely that he would add this himself. And i am sure he wouldn't mind.

Still, valuable advice, because i should not have assumed its okay to make an edit.

Speaking of edits i missed one on another page, so ill add it later tonight.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Considering this topic is about discussing all activity on the Wiki, i may aswell use it for such :lol:

Recently ive announced the H.A/R.M project to document the missing links and stepping stones related to Doom. Globally ive reached out to a few already and given a lot of useful feedback and information that will be incorporated in the future. In general, these will be an enrichment to the informational resources available on both ZDoom and the DoomWiki, for the community and by the community.

Update:
- I have edited the Caverns of Darkness article to reflect the new source code release. I say new, as Joel Murdoch simply reuploaded the source code in May, but through research, i came across a May 4th, 2002 source code release that is now defunct by Christopher Lutz. Considering it was on a Doomworld page and likely not visited that much back then, i assume most of the community missed it and it was considered lost.

This little historical traceback has been added to the ZDoom article, aswell as a pending change to the DoomWiki.

Lastly, i have asked Joel to upload the source to /idgames, something that was promised in July, but which he may have forgotten. If this occurs, ill add in another edit to reflect this change.

EDIT 2: Joel responded that he will do this soon.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Descriptions for Truncate and Remove are still missing in the ZScript [wiki]String[/wiki] page.

From my experience, Remove removes the remlen amount of strings starting from index, while Truncate reduces the string to newlen lengths.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The format of defcvars is fairly straightforward, for anyone who wants to write wikified documentation about it. I have not mastered markdown nor wiki standards, so that's why I'm writing the documentation here.

The first line must always be the game's config LastRun version (currently 219), and then followed by the CVars and their settings in the style of a console file (similar to defbinds or keyconf).

Each line after the version uses this simple syntax:

Code: Select all

[set] var "value"
It is preferred to use the word 'set' in front of every line, but that is optional. Var is the cvar being changed, and "value" is its intended default value.

defcvars can only exist in an iwad/ipk3, and was added yesterday in commit '2b05bfed689209aa988faa520446a9ed3cee89d6'

Any attempt to set a cvar that does not exist will currently cause the parse to error out. The reason for the "version" directive is to allow migration of old and removed cvars to avoid this causing problems in the future with older mods.

An example defcvars:

Code: Select all

version 219
set freelook "true"
set vid_rendermode "0"
set name "Space Zombie"
set color "00 00 a0"
A program that can assist in creating this lump will be updated in this thread.

Hope this helps.
Uni-000

GZDoom Source Code Tutorials

Post by Uni-000 »

I actually would like to see GZDoom C++ tutorials. Things such as:

Changing Engine Name
Creating a New ZScript Function in the Source Code
AI Improvements

Among others...
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That is quite a specific list.
Uni-000

Post by Uni-000 »

Rachael wrote:That is quite a specific list.

True, but I hope it can be of use!
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

I seemed to have stumbled onto an issue when configuring a User Setting.

Reproduce:
  • Login Normally to the ZDoom Wiki
  • Go to 'Preferences'; accessible at the far top-right corner of the site's page
  • Scroll Down to 'Email Options'
  • Toggle 'Allow emails from brand-new users' option.
    • EmailSettings_WikiBug.png
  • Click 'Save' at the bottom of the site's page.
  • You'll receive the following error:
    • Annotation 2020-03-07 132525.png

SQL\Trace Error:
SQL Error.txt

I have not toyed around with other settings to find other issues, but perhaps someone might be able to dig a bit more than what I can presently.

Thank you for your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Looks like creation of wiki accounts are blocked. What should I do to create new account?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Apeirogon wrote:Looks like creation of wiki accounts are blocked. What should I do to create new account?
You ask Gez.

Be advised though, only consider it if you feel it is needed to do yourself :)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Well, I send pm to Gez five days ago, but he remain silent.
I really should ask exactly him to create new account?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The way new features are tagged on the wiki has come up before, and I'm thinking. Instead of relying on [wiki]Template:New[/wiki], we could create a new template that takes a version number, instead. This way people will know exactly in what GZDoom version feature A or B was introduced, instead of always seeing it as being introduced in the latest release even if it wasn't. Of course, as not to clutter pages with "new" tags all over, after a while (I don't know, maybe 3, 4 or 6 months since release) the tags are removed from those features, since they're no longer considered new.

Should it be advised that DoMissileDamage is only to be called by projectile-based actors? From looking at the code I don't see any restrictions implemented, but it's clear that the function is meant for projectiles.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Edited the {{new}} template so you can now do something like {{new|4.3.3}} to get the version specified. Without a parameter it'll still default to using {{latest}} template.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”