The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
skadoomer

Re: The unofficial "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Post by skadoomer »

Bump

Any chance of getting this updated for the new zdoom release? I really enjoyed playing zdoom on my mac.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Yeah, I plan on making a release for ZDoom 2.3.1, maybe in a week or two. I'm going to also do an overhaul on the launcher App, and probably take another crack at OpenGL support.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

That's awesome news! I was wondering what had happened to this. Thank you sniperchance. :)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Neat, I just saw this a while ago. Could use something like this for a friend's house. :)
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Quick update.

I made a crappy placeholder page for this project, and I'm trying to crank out an updated executable of ZDoom 2.3.1 before finals. I'm actually sort of starting from scratch (except for the launcher App), so that I don't accidentally screw something up when I do a Subversion repository and release the source code.

Also, line ending differences are annoying as hell.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

sniperchance wrote:so that I don't accidentally screw something up when I do a Subversion repository and release the source code.
I'm curious why you want to set up a whole repository instead of providing a patch here so the fixes can be incorporated into ZDoom itself?
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Actually, I hadn't even thought of that. There's still some things I need to work out in order to allow anyone with Xcode and the Mac 10.4 SDK to compile this, and I wanted to use source control to track the changes I make and facilitate merging code from newer versions of ZDoom.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Can this be stickied or something? I'm happy you followed through with this!
elberson

Post by elberson »

Hey, I just downloaded ZDoom, but I'm having some trouble with it. I actually tried to get Ultimate Doom (the version sold at id Software) to run on my Parallels Desktop PC emulator, but without any luck. Someone directed me to ZDoom. I downloaded it, emailed the doom.wad from my PC side, downloaded it on the Mac side, and inserted it in the ZDoom folder. Unfortunately, clicking on ZDoom brings up a message saying that it can't find any .wad files in the folder. The ZDoom folder is in the Applications Support folder, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Thank you.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Included with this package are instructions on where you have to install the wads to. You can't just place them in the interior of the folder (a really dumb design flaw if you ask me). I'm not booted to my mac partition at the moment so I can't give you the exact details.
elberson

Post by elberson »

Do you mean the Read Me file? Since that doesn't seem to have any information about where to put the .wad files, at least not as far as I can tell.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Instructions, line 2:
Place your IWADs (DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, etc.) under [Your Home Folder]/Library/Application Support/zdoom.

As for the main executable its-self, I have mine in the root of the applications folder. See if that helps.
elberson

Post by elberson »

skadoomer wrote:Instructions, line 2:
Place your IWADs (DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, etc.) under [Your Home Folder]/Library/Application Support/zdoom.

As for the main executable its-self, I have mine in the root of the applications folder. See if that helps.
Ah, I saw those directions, but I interpreted them to mean putting the ZDoom folder in the application support folder, which I did, but without result. When you say main executable, you mean the ZDoom program itself, correct? Also, the root of the base applications folder is the HD, right? I have ZDoom in my HD, and the .wad in a ZDoom folder located in Application Support, but it's still not running.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

In layman's terms (hopefully),

Your Hard Drive/Applications/ZDoom/ZDoom.app
or just
Your Hard Drive/Applications/ZDoom.app

Your Hard Drive/Users/Your Username/Library/Application Support/ZDoom/DOOM2.WAD
elberson

Post by elberson »

I think I got it. Thank you.

Return to “Tutorials”