The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
_mental_

Re: The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Post by _mental_ »

Can't reproduce any of these on pretty similar config. Tried with and without zdoom.ini file.
How do you start ZDoom? By double-clicking in Finder or some other file manager? From command line? Do you use additional parameters in IWAD selection window?
Also, did you mean this window?
zdoom_launch_macos_.png
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Hey, I've noticed a problem with the latest mac gzdoom, but I don't know if it's just on my end: Bullet decals disappear when in the radius of a dynamic light. It's not a huge problem, but it's noticable. Is it just my computer, or is this happening to others?

Also at the beginning of every level, there's a countup from 0 to 1.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Wivicer wrote:Hey, I've noticed a problem with the latest mac gzdoom, but I don't know if it's just on my end: Bullet decals disappear when in the radius of a dynamic light. It's not a huge problem, but it's noticable. Is it just my computer, or is this happening to others?
Most likely it's a bug in the compatibility OpenGL 2.x renderer. I didn't check with the modern one though.
Wivicer wrote:Also at the beginning of every level, there's a countup from 0 to 1.
Sorry but what are you talking about? Screenshot or video will help a lot.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Well the counter isn't happening anymore. I don't know what that was.

Figures, as soon as I ask about it it stops happening.
printz

Post by printz »

_mental_ wrote:Can't reproduce any of these on pretty similar config. Tried with and without zdoom.ini file.
How do you start ZDoom? By double-clicking in Finder or some other file manager? From command line? Do you use additional parameters in IWAD selection window?
Also, did you mean this window?
zdoom_launch_macos_.png
From the command line: I use "open -a zdoom --args dfsjdlsfkgdfsg"
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

printz wrote:From the command line: I use "open -a zdoom --args dfsjdlsfkgdfsg"
I still cannot reproduce the problem using the latest version.
Can you try to start ZDoom from Finder and also from command line without open, i.e. using full path to executable?
Are you using some software that may interfere with window placement? Or maybe an external monitor?
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

So maybe someone can help me out here. Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I've searched through a few forums already for about an hour and don't feel like wasting any more time out of my weekend.

I downloaded the newest GZDoom for macOS today and I quite enjoyed most of the changes. However, I'd like to have control over where my saved games go (don't want them in the middle of my 'Documents' folder). I know that this requires editing the config file and changing the default directory for saves, which would be a piece of cake if I could actually find the thing anywhere (checked 'Application Support' and all I see in there are my IWADs).

Where does ZDoom/GZDoom on Mac save its config files? Any particular tool I should use for editing them?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The configuration file is stored in ~/Library/Preferences/zdoom.ini by default. For GZDoom it's named gzdoom.ini and located in the folder.
It's a plain text file that can be edited in any text editor. However you don't need to edit it at all to change directory for saved games.
Set save_dir console variable to a full path to desired folder. Also, there is -savedir command line switch that does the same thing.
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

Thanks for the info, but for some reason neither the zdoom.ini or gzdoom.ini is showing up in that folder (checked hidden files and no luck, either). Any idea where they might be instead? Did a normal drag-n-drop installation of GZDoom from the .dmg onto 'Applications'. Replaced the old GZDoom app (0.5.something) with the new one in the process. If you need any more info let me know.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

What's the version you are using? To be sure please check the title of startup window or IWAD selector.
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

Version 2.2.0 in the startup window, but showing as 2.8.0 in the app properties.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Tifosi 92 wrote:Version 2.2.0 in the startup window, but showing as 2.8.0 in the app properties.
Configuration filename is ~/Library/Preferences/gzdoom.ini. You can execute the following command in Terminal to open it in default editor

Code: Select all

open ~/Library/Preferences/gzdoom.ini
EDIT: By the way you can use whereisini console command to get full path to your configuration file.
Tifosi 92

Post by Tifosi 92 »

This worked! Thank you. No idea why I can't see the file in Finder; looked in both Preferences folders and even checked for it with hidden files and it didn't show up. It's there, but apparently Finder can't see it.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Does anyone know where you can get a zDoom Launcher for OS X (preferably one that's precompiled)?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I love that ZDoom and GZDoom are on Mac as I do all my creative stuff on Mac, and I can even map and edit resources using Slade 3 in OS X (which I love BTW :D)

I dunno if this has been mentioned on this post before, but does anyone else have very laggy sluggish performance using the GL renderer in OS X? Old school Zdoom and GZDoom using the software renderer run like lightning on my system, but the GL renderer is really laggy and not very fun for me. I even turn texture filtering off and it's still the same (IMO Doom is not Doom with texture filtering :D). In an ideal world the software renderer would be perfect for me, especially as it's now true colour, but it doesn't support models, and skies taller than 128 tile when you look up too high (definitely a problem with Heretic and Hexen, which are both 2 games I love as much as Doom!)

My current video card is an Nvidia GTX 750ti and I'm running OS X Sierra, although the laggy performance was the exact same in El Capitan (I assumed that it might be because GZDoom may use the Metal API, which is not supported in El Capitan, but then performance was the same in Sierra using the Metal API). It bothers me that newer games run really nice on my video card (until the new patch, World Of warcraft ran and looked pretty nice, and older games like Bioshock Infinite and the remake of Shadow Warrior run flawlessly at near highest detail settings - The most recent Warcraft doesn't work on my mac anymore though because it's an unsupported processor apparently :/ - Mac Pro 3.1, late 2008 model - but that's a story for an entrely different place :D).

:twisted:

Return to “Tutorials”