The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
earbenT

Re: The unofficial "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Post by earbenT »

G4 user here, waiting on that Universal binary. :) Thanks for all your work.
Jorto Badfingers

Post by Jorto Badfingers »

I found a very minor issue. When attempting to scroll through console with the mousewheel, nothing happens. When using page up to go up in the console, the console goes up but a comma is also printed. When page down is pressed in console, the console history scrolls down, but a minus symbol is also printed to the console input.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Skunk wrote:Just tried to run it but there wasn't a game to play which tells me that something went wrong.

Order of events:
ZDoom OS X Launcher appears.
Click Launch
Console appears.
Nothing.
Alright, I got Tiger running in a VM, and I figured out the cause: libSDL was compiled for 10.5 i386 only. Oops.

Luckily, I found a copy of libSDL (from the ioquake3 source code) compiled as a Universal binary with 10.3.9 support. I tried using that one, and ZDoom now runs in 10.4 correctly. I'll replace the old SDL library with this one in the next release.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Cool
Johann Smidt

Post by Johann Smidt »

I would just like to put in that netgames work cross platform. I played several rounds of DM today without hiccup, which is totally awesome.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Cool. It's not surprising when you consider that Skulltag can be played on Linux, but I'm glad netgames work fine.

Here's the next version, this should work with Mac OS X 10.4:
ZDoom OS X 0.6a (ZDoom r1258)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Will you port GZDoom to OSX?
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

BlazingPhoenix wrote:Will you port GZDoom to OSX?
Good question.
sniperchance

Post by sniperchance »

Possibly. I might have to work out the differences with Mac OS X's GL framework, as well as the fact that the latest revision of GZDoom is behind that of ZDoom's.

I updated the ZDoom core to revision 1263, so now you Mac owners can enjoy gibbing again (among other things)!
Download
Johann Smidt

Post by Johann Smidt »

I'm still feeling very much indebted to you, even if you just stopped right now. I do have one small request though. I can has source sometime plzkthnx?
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

OKAY, IT WORKS!
One small complaint, I dunno if you can fix this, but can you have it where it looks for the wads in the same folder as zdoom is?
This is totally awesome that you've done this, it works great, thank you!
Johann Smidt

Post by Johann Smidt »

Skunk wrote:OKAY, IT WORKS!
One small complaint, I dunno if you can fix this, but can you have it where it looks for the wads in the same folder as zdoom is?
A program thats a good Mac citizen shouldn't do this :|
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Johann Smidt wrote:
Skunk wrote:OKAY, IT WORKS!
A program thats a good Mac citizen shouldn't do this :|
I guess, but still, /~/Library/Application Support/ is a weird place to keep wad files. And it's pretty much Doom tradition to just be able to put the WADs in /Doom/ or whatever your sourceport(s)' directory is.
Gez

Post by Gez »

ZDoom normally looks for the iwads in several places: its own directory, the current working directory, the directories set up in the configuration file, $HOME/.zdoom in Unix systems, within Steam if installed in Windows systems, etc.

So it wouldn't be outlandish or overly complicated to make it look as well in /~/Library/Application Support/ when in MacOS X.
Johann Smidt

Post by Johann Smidt »

esselfortium wrote:I guess, but still, /~/Library/Application Support/ is a weird place to keep wad files. And it's pretty much Doom tradition to just be able to put the WADs in /Doom/ or whatever your sourceport(s)' directory is.
If I could have my way you could "install" the wad files into the package, like putting them in the Resources directory or something. This would seem like the most logical place for them to go, but of course the user would have to put them there themselves, and its not terribly wonderful navigating inside packages. Also I think you can use $DOOMWADDIR, if you have it defined, for IWADs and PWADs. Also if you stick your wads in /Doom and not ~/Doom you're doing it wrong :|

Return to “Tutorials”