To ZDoom author...

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
kevingpo

To ZDoom author...

Post by kevingpo »

Wouldn't it be a great idea for ZDoom and ZDoomGL authors to combine ZDoom[GL] into one executable. Then in the video options there's a switch to change from software to opengl graphics modes - just like Quake/Half-Life, etc. Or if the user doesn't have opengl then ZDoom will default to software mode.

I think this is great idea so that ZDoomGL author doesn't have to do hard work of keeping track on ZDoom's changes all the time. They just work together to make one executable!

Also why don't you make an SDL version of ZDoom. It saves all the hassle of windows stuff code:

-D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_WINDOWS -DUSEASM
-D__GNUWIN32__ -W -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_WINDOWS -DUSEASM
-lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomctl32 -lstrmiids -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lwinmm -lwsock32 -lfmodvc -ldinput8 -ldsound -ldxguid -lopengl32 -lglu32 -Map "../../zdoomgl.map".map

All this can be replaced with -lGL -lGLU 'sdlconfig --cflags', etc. (or was it -lSDL).
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

um, well you can run zdoomgl in software mode already, and i guess that's probably about the same thing as zdoom.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I already have perfectly usable Windows code. Why should I dump that for SDL, which has already shown itself to be much slower with the Duke 3D ports? I did convert the Linux source to SDL for 1.23, which is a move I somewhat regret.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Yes! Great idea! For example, Randy could make a change to a feature in the code, or add a new feature, or something, and then give it to Timmie, and then he could take the new code and add OpenGL to it! Just like he's doing now! Only we'd have to wait longer!!

Hmmm.... :roll:

No thanks.

Return to “General”