Query: MD2 support?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Query: MD2 support?

Postby kevingpo » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:46 pm

Does ZDoomGL support MD2 model pack? Like the one going around for DoomGL, Doom3D, etc.
kevingpo

Postby Kate » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:47 pm

No, not currently, but they might implement it after they finish adding Dynamic Lighting...

- COMMENT -
There is a version that does support models, but it's based on zdoom 1.22 so it wouldn't work with newer wads.
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby wildweasel » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:14 pm

Not to mention the old MD2 support wasn't all that great, the models weren't interpolated....and add to that, the MD2's themselves are of really poor quality. They don't even animate correctly (if I remember right).
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby sirjuddington » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:50 pm

Err, yes they were interpolated. The only port without this feature (that supports MD2s) is Vavoom...
sirjuddington

Discord: sirjuddington#7496
Github ID: sirjuddington

Postby kevingpo » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:42 pm

Yeah, I think the only sourceports that support MD2 models are:

- Doom3D
- DoomGL
kevingpo

Postby HotWax » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:54 am

There are two versions of ZDoomGL, but they are done by different authors, one is no longer being updated, and they have nothing in common except the name, which I personally which was different. Oh well.

The old ZDoomGL was done by Kokak. The engine was unstable at best, bugs were rampant, and in my personal opinion, it was utterly, unforgivably, shitty. The fact that it *supported* MD2's in fact (as well as garish dynamic lying, horrendously ugly "lens flares" and other useless "features") in my mind only served to show that the author was more interested in getting the game "pretty" before making sure its engine was *stable*.

Then we have the other end of the spectrum. The NEW ZDoomGL, done by the competant and intelligent Timmie, is basically a complete reinvention of the port, starting with the ZDoom code and working from there. As such there are some features still unsupported. However, what IS in there runs faster than the old version, is stable, isn't painful to get working, and doesn't crash on you every 3 1/2 (give or take) minutes. This is otherwise known as "Good Programming".

So, if you can't live without your "demons" looking like folded lunch bags (I wish I was joking), grab the old version of ZDoomGL and I shall make fun of you. OR, just get the new version and enjoy what it has to offer until Timmie implements all the nifty bells and whistles you crave.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby boris » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:32 am

kevingpo wrote:Yeah, I think the only sourceports that support MD2 models are:

- Doom3D
- DoomGL

Don't forget JDoom!
boris
I post less than Manc and Hobo

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:40 am

And do not forget that JDoom supports its own DMD model format. THAT is what we need.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby NiGHTMARE » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:56 am

HotWax wrote:There are two versions of ZDoomGL, but they are done by different authors, one is no longer being updated, and they have nothing in common except the name, which I personally which was different. Oh well.

Actually, the new ZDoomGL is based on the old one. It just has substantially rewritten code for certain features (and plentyof brand new features too, of course)
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby timmie » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:36 am

I'd say it's pretty close to being a complete rewrite now. I'm not sure if there's any old code left anymore.
timmie
OH YEAH!

Postby kevingpo » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:30 pm

HotWax wrote:The old ZDoomGL was done by Kokak.

What is he doing now?

HotWax wrote:So, if you can't live without your "demons" looking like folded lunch bags

LOL
kevingpo

Postby bimshwel » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:35 pm

I wouldn't mind how silly most of them looked if they were animated better. Interpolated or otherwise. It's like someone designed them to (somewhat) match their initial original Doom frame from one or more angles, and improvised from there without giving any thought to how ridiculous the smooth transitions would appear. They resemble spasms more than anything else. Default Doom frame-table assignments make monsters move too slowly for this to ever not look odd. All of that combined with the abrupt 45 degree turns, I'd say they look better without interpolation. Especially the idle frames. And I *still* prefer the sprites. Of course, I can understand someone just being assigned the task of making the box enemies along with a deadline, and quality suffering. I downloaded the modelly things around two years ago, perhaps they've been improved since then. But, ahhh... sprites are easier for me to edit.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby timmie » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:47 pm

kevingpo wrote:
HotWax wrote:The old ZDoomGL was done by Kokak.

What is he doing now?

Last I heard he was working at UbiSoft... Not sure if he's still there or what, though.
timmie
OH YEAH!

Postby Chilvence » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:16 am

The old models are in fact from SOG, a quake 2 mod.

http://www.planetquake.com/sog/

To my knowledge, no one has yet designed a set of models specificaly for use in doom ports, but if you hang around newdoom doomsday forums, you see Dani J666 taking on the task as a one man army. And it really should be quite good, when its done.
Chilvence

Return to General