How possible is this (and how appreciated???)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Number 4: Both Ports Crash Too Much! (At least on my system.)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

wildweasel wrote:Number 1: TWO ports already have working 3D floors: EDGE and Legacy.
Wrong! Both Vavoom and Boomsday (that's Boomsday, NOT Doomsday) also have them. The former currently being the only port I know of that supports both 3D floors and slopes.
Number 2: As far as I know, both sources are well documented, and it should be easy to import the extrafloor code into ZDoom along with your existing stuff (polyojbects, etc).
I used to think that too, but I was soon put right. The way ZDoom and Legacy/EDGE handle the renderer part of the engine is apparently totally different and mututally incompatible with each other (or some such programmer jargon ;) ).

Basically Legacy/EDGE 3D floors could not be made to work simply by copy 'n' pasting the relevant code; it would require a substantital rewrite of other ZDoom code, meaning Randy might as well write his own 3D floor code instead.

I have to agree with both 3) and 4) :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

You know, allowing for flat sprites (ala the Build engine) might be a lot easier coding wise (I could be completely wrong here though), and would allow you to create the illusion of both 3D bridges and translucent floors, and even translucent 3D bridges :)

It (i.e. this feature) would be especially good seeing as Randy seems to be implenting various other Build related things at the moment ;)
Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

NiGHTMARE wrote:It would be especially good seeing as Randy seems to be implenting various other Build related things at the moment ;)
But I like the Doom "movement" more. That is, if you move forward in Build, it's like a moving camera. Just forward. In Doom the view "bobs" a bit.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Hirogen2 wrote:
NiGHTMARE wrote:It would be especially good seeing as Randy seems to be implenting various other Build related things at the moment ;)
But I like the Doom "movement" more. That is, if you move forward in Build, it's like a moving camera. Just forward. In Doom the view "bobs" a bit.
This is controlled by a cvar called "movebob" and can be increased/decreased/turned off altogether.

Return to “General”