It was inevitable - SBARINFO Alpha Hud

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

It was inevitable - SBARINFO Alpha Hud

Postby wildweasel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 pm

I consider this HUD to be mostly, but not entirely, complete. It's an interpretation (read: NOT a recreation!) of the Doom Alpha 0.2 "helmet" HUD, in SBARINFO. Through some miracle of compression algorithms, I've managed to make it take up no more than 12 KB.

Features:
- Health and armor bargraphs
- Ammo/arms indicators on the right
- Large ammo number in the upper right corner (for mods that use non-standard ammo types and altfire ammo)
- Key display on the left (using KeyBar, so non-Doom keys like KDIZD's should work too)
- Kills, Items, Secrets shown in the upper left

Yes, the field of view is restricted thanks to the helmet taking up 25% of the screen. I did my best to trim the fat (the screens in the upper corners have been cut away a bit), but it's still a little difficult to see at times. I like it, but people that complain about the restricted field of view may want to set their FOV to 100 through the console.

Also, bonus health/armor does not show properly, because I don't know if SBARINFO can do that with bargraphs/lifegems.

Permissions

Yes, you're allowed to use this in whatever the hell kind of mod you want it for, modify it, hack it to pieces. You don't even need to credit me, unless you really want to.
Attachments
ww-alphahud.rar
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: It was inevitable - SBARINFO Alpha Hud

Postby Sodaholic » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Pretty cool! :D
Sodaholic
Banned User

Postby KeksDose » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Very nice! On a somehow, I always wanted the HUD more helmet'ish because I just thought it fould give a bit more of this first person feeling, being a marine. This is just neat! :)
KeksDose
Praise Mima and the Moon

Postby Blzut3 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:34 pm

The height is 1 pixel to tall. At least here I see a slight HOM. You are right about drawbar/drawgem not able to show when you have over 100% health/armor. I think I might change this when I get to the Strife stuff (even though strife uses an auto generated bar).
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby wildweasel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Blzut3 wrote:The height is 1 pixel to tall. At least here I see a slight HOM. You are right about drawbar/drawgem not able to show when you have over 100% health/armor. I think I might change this when I get to the Strife stuff (even though strife uses an auto generated bar).

1 pixel too tall? What resolution are you running at? I measured the pixels using Paint Shop Pro and don't see any problems with it at 1280x1024 (which actually shows a tiny layer of HOM on the original Doom status bar when scaled).
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Blzut3 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:52 pm

1152x648 LB windowed. I lowered the height 1 pixel myself and it is fine. You might like to know that I'm adding the ability to interpolate the armor value and the ability to use a gem for armor (mainly because just about every status bar I've played with turned on health interpolation).
Blzut3

Postby Enjay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Very cool indeed. It does feel quite claustrophobic, like you are inside the helmet. I can also see why, ultimately, id dropped the idea. It does take up quite a bit of space. Mind you, the fov 100 idea does make it more acceptable. I reckon you could have trimmed a bit more off the upper screens and keys panel in particular, but perhaps it would have detracted from what you were trying to do.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby lizardcommando » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:44 pm

This is pretty neat. I like it.
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby MG_Man » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:18 pm

It's nice, but with vid_tft 1 it leaves a 50 pixel or so gap at the top. This seems like something for Blzut to investigate though.
MG_Man
TarviS

Postby wildweasel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:36 pm

Blzut3 wrote:1152x648 LB windowed. I lowered the height 1 pixel myself and it is fine. You might like to know that I'm adding the ability to interpolate the armor value and the ability to use a gem for armor (mainly because just about every status bar I've played with turned on health interpolation).

Any chance you could add interpolation for things that aren't bars as well, so that regular numbers will also go down smoothly (a la PowerSlave/Exhumed's ammo counter)?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Blzut3 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:03 pm

No, it would require a lot of work (at least for me anyways) to design a system that registers every variable the user wants to interpolate.
Edit:
MG_Man wrote:It's nice, but with vid_tft 1 it leaves a 50 pixel or so gap at the top. This seems like something for Blzut to investigate though.

This means that the scaling method used doesn't work well with 5:4 resolutions. This would be part of graphics rendering and not SBarInfo.
Blzut3

Postby wildweasel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:21 pm

I actually don't like the way 5:4 mode looks, even on my 5:4 monitor, so I just leave it in 4:3 normal mode.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Unknown_Assassin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:33 pm

This is cool! :D
Unknown_Assassin
Bow down to the Protoss Race!!

Postby Sodaholic » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Hey look! Caleb's now a space marine!

Sodaholic
Banned User

Postby doknow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks for the hud.

DOOM alpha 0.2 map.
Attachments
ALPHA02.rar
(20.96 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Last edited by doknow on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
doknow

Next

Return to General