[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Woolie Wool » Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 pm

.50 assault rifles would be so ludicrously overpowered only a Baron of Hell could hope to control one.

Also, 12.7x47 would be closer to the shape of a pistol cartridge (compare .50 BMG: 12.7x99) so the ballistics would be awful by rifle standards.
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby TiberiumSoul » Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm

let me change a few things up there are bullets more powerful than the 50. BMG
TiberiumSoul
The Lost Soul that stumbled into a patch of tiberium crystals

Discord: 2012
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Woolie Wool » Thu May 02, 2013 6:05 pm

No, .50 BMG would be even worse. There's an upper limit to the size of a practical automatic rifle cartridge, and 7.62x51 NATO is seriously pushing it. Unless they're going to recruit Cyberdemons as heavy riflemen a .50 BMG assault rifle rifle isn't going to do them any good.

Oh, that Beowulf cartridge looks very much like a 19th century black powder cartridge. It is not a coincidence that calibers for rifles dropped from 11-15mm to 6-8mm once smokeless powder was introduced.
Woolie Wool

Postby TiberiumSoul » Thu May 02, 2013 6:10 pm

forgive me for making unrealistic fantastical descriptions but this is doom not every single little thing has to be realistic and practical besides its just rifle sprites in that zip if people want to do something realistic with them then i invite them to do so thats why i posted them i was using the description from my mod for Zandronum
TiberiumSoul

Postby NiGHTMARE » Fri May 03, 2013 12:36 am

If you're not striving for realism, why even use calibres at all? The original game doesn't.
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby Ghastly » Fri May 03, 2013 6:55 am

TiberiumSoul wrote:but this is doom not every single little thing has to be realistic
Then why are you trying to apply realism such as specific calibers on guns?
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team

Postby Xaser » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 am

TiberiumSoul wrote:forgive me for making unrealistic fantastical descriptions but this is doom not every single little thing has to be realistic and practical besides its just rifle sprites in that zip if people want to do something realistic with them then i invite them to do so thats why i posted them i was using the description from my mod for Zandronum

PUNCTUATION. USE IT.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby zrrion the insect » Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 am

Maybe he's an eagle.
I've given this concept another go. It's going better this time.
UMKRA0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby Captain J » Fri May 03, 2013 9:43 am

hellrod with plasma energy.
in aeod it shoots explosive demon handleless mace balls rapidly.
now powered up with plasma ball too? hell i going to buy that for a dollar.

anyway it does shining with red color?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby TiberiumSoul » Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 am

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Then why are you trying to apply realism such as specific calibers on guns?

ok, you got me there but allow me to answer your statement with another question :)

First, do you think its realistic at all that an assault rifle being used by human hands is chambered in an anti-material rifle bullet.
Does that seem realistic at all that a marine could fire a weapon chambered in a round that big and not have his arm ripped off by the recoil?
TiberiumSoul

Postby wildweasel » Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 am

It's a gun, dammit. It shoots things. Those things die. We need no further information than that.

(Says the guy that manages to write entire paragraphs about a simple handgun...=P)
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby TiberiumSoul » Fri May 03, 2013 2:01 pm

indeed good sir.
TiberiumSoul

Postby Woolie Wool » Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 pm

TiberiumSoul wrote:
Ghastly_dragon wrote:Then why are you trying to apply realism such as specific calibers on guns?

ok, you got me there but allow me to answer your statement with another question :)

First, do you think its realistic at all that an assault rifle being used by human hands is chambered in an anti-material rifle bullet.
Does that seem realistic at all that a marine could fire a weapon chambered in a round that big and not have his arm ripped off by the recoil?

For the first one, no, and for the second one, "arm ripped off" is pretty strong but for anything larger than 7.62 NATO is going to be hell and a half to use in automatic fire, and for shoulder fire without a bipod, something like 6.8 Remington SPC is pretty much the biggest round practical.

There are better ways to solve this problem, like equipping the marines with expanding ammunition, and assigning people with shotguns to infantry squads. Expanding ammunition and shotguns work marvelously against fleshy, unarmored targets like Doom monsters.

But what it comes down to is: if you're going to get into the technical details of something, it's important to get it right. Mentioning the type of round as something silly is much worse than not mentioning it at all.
Woolie Wool

Postby Jblade » Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm

But what it comes down to is: if you're going to get into the technical details of something, it's important to get it right. Mentioning the type of round as something silly is much worse than not mentioning it at all.

Yeah I think this is a pretty excellent point actually. If you don't know the technical details of how guns work than either educate yourself about them or just simply say 'it's a high-powered assault rifle' The same applies to anything really - you can't go faster than the speed of light so don't bother explaining your FTL drive, just say 'it can go faster than light' and leave it at that.
There are better ways to solve this problem, like equipping the marines with expanding ammunition, and assigning people with shotguns to infantry squads. Expanding ammunition and shotguns work marvelously against fleshy, unarmored targets like Doom monsters.

It would be nice to see a Doom mod that adds armour types and weaknesses, like I did in the AMC TC. Changing one of the zombies to have body-armour so headshots are more effective would be neat, as well as armoured enemies that you'd have to use armour piercing rounds for.
Jblade

Postby Finalizer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm

It... Is... Alive!

Paladin-walk-resized.gif

Full rotations for the walking animations are done. Now it's onto fun with the others, so ~100 more frames to go. Mad respect for folks who do this kind of work from scratch for entirely new monsters; this is already tedious enough for my tastes as it is.

Also, I figured out an interesting way to marry the shield + launcher idea - I'll make the weapon a grenade launcher, and the shield is used for when the monster is too far away to use his primary weapon (I'm gonna try and give him a "walk with shield raised" animation so he can even advance defensively on occasion), and maybe even give him some sort of "block when my own grenade goes off too close to me" routine, though this hinges on whether or not I let him get damaged by his own shots - it'd make it tricky to use these guys in big hordes without them just blowing each other up if they get hurt by their own shots, after all; yet I still like the idea of him making practical use of his shield. Think I'll make two versions or sumfin.

[/blog]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finalizer

PreviousNext

Return to General