[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Virtue » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 am

UnTrustable wrote:
gerolf wrote:I'd much rather see Doom on the BUILD engine then see Duke Nukem 3d on the Doom engine.

Sounds intriguing :P If only i had time and energy and no longer interested in the Doom engine...

What editor- or where is the editor that is used to make maps for Duke3D?

its called BUILD. You may have heard of it?
Virtue
We Stand to Fight

Postby timmyr0x0r » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 am

Playing around a bit.
Credits to Eriance, obviously.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timmyr0x0r

Postby gerolf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:02 am

UnTrustable wrote:What editor- or where is the editor that is used to make maps for Duke3D?

Depends, if you're going to use the DOS version, there's a program that comes with the game called MAPEDIT. If you use the best source port, EDuke32, there's a program with it called Mapster32.
gerolf

Discord: gerolf#4360
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby NeuralStunner » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Enjay wrote:It's even clearer that they are scaled down 3D model grabs and they have all the problems associated with that method, particularly in the way it was used in the 90s and the relatively low fidelity of those style of images back then.
One of the better examples of models-to-sprites are the Might & Magic 6-8 ones. At least after 6, they're less obviously models, and all throughout they had the sense to use super-detailed ones.

There's minor problems along though, the most notable being when bits of the mesh poke into other areas (such as a sword sheath getting lost inside a leg). I take less issue when the game is model-based and checking such things is too costly. But when you're rendering to sprites there should be more attention to that.

The worst issue, I think, is that they produced super-smooth 6 or 8 frame walk animations, but only 5 angles per sprite. Seeing asymmetrical characters ingame is going to suck a bit: All that fluid animation work goes to crap when there's obvious sprite mirroring. (Noticable on low-res sprites too, of course. It's great that Raven gave attention to this with Heretic's monsters, I just wish they hadn't cut corners on the player sprites. :( )

Should I ever take to the model -> sprite pipeline myself, these are two issues I'm going to try to avoid.

cauldron wrote:Nearly finished the sprites for the ZsecSpecops plasmagunner.
Ooooh, that's going to be one eeeeevil bastard. :twisted:
NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Minigunner » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:46 pm

NeuralStunner wrote:The worst issue, I think, is that they produced super-smooth 6 or 8 frame walk animations, but only 5 angles per sprite.

I expand upon that statement by saying that hell, 8 angles doesn't look that smooth for a hi-res model rip with many frames. 12 or (in the case of ZDoom) 16 angles would be much better, though the massive filesize increase would negate that benefit.
Minigunner

Discord: Minigunner#5418

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Doom 64's sprites originally bothered me a lot too, a lot of it being a massive design shift from the originals. But having played it extensively now, it's really grown on me. In the context of the actual game, they look good and fit things pretty well, whereas I think putting the original monsters in there would almost look kind of out of place.

The sounds are another issue though, and I'm glad I modded my copy of Doom 64 EX to use the classic sounds.
Zero X. Diamond
Now get your ass out there and save the world!

Postby gerolf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 pm

I wonder what the game looked like when it was just called "The Absolution"

I bet the graphics were different. Does anyone have old screenshots?
gerolf

Discord: gerolf#4360
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Zero X. Diamond wrote:The sounds are another issue though, and I'm glad I modded my copy of Doom 64 EX to use the classic sounds.

The default position for many Doomers seems to be the opposite way around. However, I agree with you. I find the D64 sounds feel too contrived to sound "scary" and all that low treble, basey echoeyness gets on my wick after a while. They're not awful but I much prefer the classic sounds.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Gez » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 pm

It always annoy me when I hear the PSX/N64 sounds in normal PC Doom mods. Especially that "fwooshfwoosh" imp fireball sound.

I make exception* for mods like Scalliano's TOP or the PSX Doom TC for obvious reasons, but otherwise I'd be happy to only ever hear these sounds in Doom 64 itself; where they fit with the changed aesthetics.

(* Even then, I'd prefer if the zombie's idle sound that is the same as PC Doom's zombie sight sound was not used at all.)
Gez

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Enjay wrote:
Zero X. Diamond wrote:The sounds are another issue though, and I'm glad I modded my copy of Doom 64 EX to use the classic sounds.

The default position for many Doomers seems to be the opposite way around. However, I agree with you. I find the D64 sounds feel too contrived to sound "scary" and all that low treble, basey echoeyness gets on my wick after a while. They're not awful but I much prefer the classic sounds.

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to like them, yeah, but honestly you've just described what I've really been struggling to find the words for. The new sounds did try too hard to be "scary" and in doing so we basically ended up with sounds I'd expect to hear on one of those 99 cent haunted house cassette tapes. They're muddy and echoing and it's very irritating to listen to for any extended period of time. At least the music was fantastic. It does complement the sort of more Quake-like atmosphere well to have a more ambient sound. Still trying to make a mod for 64 EX that'll let you use classic Doom music in-game just for fun, but that's neither here nor there.
Zero X. Diamond
Now get your ass out there and save the world!

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Crucified guys

About the current discussion on sounds, there are some pretty good sounds in PSXDoom/Doom64, like the pickup sounds, Shotgun fire, Pistol fire, Demon 's death sound, and bigger demon pain sounds. They help a lot on the atmosphere.
But I really hate some sounds like the Cyberdemon see sound.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Postby Marine Infierno » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:28 pm

I wanted to finish all this weapon :D and to modify a little the this icon of the sin
http://imgur.com/XOxqU,YsTh9

2x1 :mrgreen:

First Image :: Tech-Railgun
Second Image :: Icon of sin

This good? the modified one of railgun :?:
Marine Infierno
also known : Miltonator , jose unknown , jose milton

Location: Colombia , Bogota , my aunt's house xD (my geek house)

Postby Enjay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:41 pm

First Image :: Tech-Railgun
Looks good. It also looks like the 2 "prongs" should be activated to do something via alt-fire. (and where are the prongs on the pickup?)

I really like this. Years ago I had an idea that I wanted to make a mod where an underground base/complex/subway station/whatever had been sealed off during the demon invasion and then opened up many years later to be cleaned out by "our hero (or his son by that stage probably). As you went deeper and deeper into the base, it would be more and more corrupt but everything would be stale, decaying and necrotic including the enemies. I never even got as far as finishing my "plague imp" for this project (though I did make quite a bit of progress) and I had intended to use Chernobog (sp?) as a base to make a decaying Cyberdemon but after a few abortive tries I gave up, deciding that "[my] skill was not enough". What I wanted to do looks very much like your image.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Marine Infierno » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Enjay wrote:First Image :: Tech-Railgun
Looks good. It also looks like the 2 "prongs" should be activated to do something via alt-fire. (and where are the prongs on the pickup?)

I really like this. Years ago I had an idea that I wanted to make a mod where an underground base/complex/subway station/whatever had been sealed off during the demon invasion and then opened up many years later to be cleaned out by "our hero (or his son by that stage probably). As you went deeper and deeper into the base, it would be more and more corrupt but everything would be stale, decaying and necrotic including the enemies. I never even got as far as finishing my "plague imp" for this project (though I did make quite a bit of progress) and I had intended to use Chernobog (sp?) as a base to make a decaying Cyberdemon but after a few abortive tries I gave up, deciding that "[my] skill was not enough". What I wanted to do looks very much like your image.

1 sounds good what the alt-fire :)
2 I can not do so far are the movements :(
Marine Infierno
also known : Miltonator , jose unknown , jose milton

Location: Colombia , Bogota , my aunt's house xD (my geek house)

Postby DrDoctor » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Behold...
The ever elusive... FOURTH ARTIFACT!
sinistartakesupsatanism.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrDoctor

PreviousNext

Return to General