[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Enjay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:14 am

All depends on whether you have more fun playing or modding. For me, it's modding. :P
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby UnTrustable » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Enjay wrote:All depends on whether you have more fun playing or modding. For me, it's modding. :P

^ This
UnTrustable
"Feed me...!"

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm mainly a modder as well, but I'd much rather see all that effort go into something original.
NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Which is why you produce what you do and someone else makes a Duke clone in ZDoom. :)
Enjay

Postby gerolf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:39 pm

I'd much rather see Doom on the BUILD engine then see Duke Nukem 3d on the Doom engine.
gerolf

Discord: gerolf#4360
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Virtue » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:21 pm

gerolf wrote:I'd much rather see Doom on the BUILD engine then see Duke Nukem 3d on the Doom engine.

Ive always wondered why no one has done this before.
Virtue
We Stand to Fight

Postby gerolf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:33 pm

People have tried, but not the way they should try it. They always incorporate Duke stuff, or they just convert Doom levels. I want Doom weapons, enemies, and new levels (using the BUILD engines features), and to where enemy body parts can explode all over the place. I would do it if I had the time.

EDIT: Maybe I will try it myself.
gerolf

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:42 pm

This, in turn, reminds me that I've been wondering what a Doom 64 sequel would look like. We've got Doom 64 EX now, so you could theoretically make one using an engine designed to accurately do 64-style lighting and what have you. It'd be cool to add back in some of the monsters left out of the actual console version due to space constraints, and some of them wouldn't even be that tough: somebody already made a decent Chaingunner and I know I've seen a Spider Mastermind/Arachnotron thing made for Doom 3 that would probably make a good Doom 64 Mastermind if the model were captured to sprites properly. I've even got an old model kicking around that, with a little texturing and animation, would make a pretty good new final boss. I always called it the Supreme Fiend and I think that'd work out pretty well, especially since it has an almost Quake-like sensibility that evokes the almost Quake-like appearance of a lot of the Hell levels.

A little off topic, I guess, but hey, it could result in something. I've got that model somewhere if anybody wants to take a crack at it, but be warned that even after decimating the polycount twice it's still pretty enormous.
Zero X. Diamond
Now get your ass out there and save the world!

Postby gerolf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:55 pm

OT- I think Midway did make graphics for the unused enemies, in fact there's an old poster that shows an unused Shotgunner sprite. Maybe if somebody contacted those who'd know all about that, then we could get answers.. I know, that never seems to work..

Edit:
Spoiler:

Look even closer, it seems that these models look better, and the Lost Soul looks different too.
The Lost souls look different here too:
Spoiler:
gerolf

Postby ItsNatureToDie » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:12 pm

Dose anyone else think the rifle movement looks off?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ItsNatureToDie

Postby gerolf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:31 pm

The first frame is fine, the 2nd two frames may need more 'fine tuning' in deed.
gerolf

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:09 am

The shotgunner there is actually not unused. The game swaps the palette on the regular zombieman to make it look like that for the shotgunners. Personally, I want to create a set of sprites for the shotgunner that has a bald head like in the original games to better differentiate it, but last I checked D64EX's WAD file only has the one set of graphics so there's no way to do that as of yet.
Zero X. Diamond
Now get your ass out there and save the world!

Postby Enjay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:38 am

gerolf wrote:pictures

I've never really been a huge fan of the art direction of the Doom64 enemies and those higher resolution images do nothing to change that. In fact, they reinforce my POV. It's even clearer that they are scaled down 3D model grabs and they have all the problems associated with that method, particularly in the way it was used in the 90s and the relatively low fidelity of those style of images back then (look at the cone shaped teeth on the mancubus for example). In the second pic, the cyberdemon almost has a cutesy "chibi"-like look to his expression.
Enjay

Postby UnTrustable » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:22 am

gerolf wrote:I'd much rather see Doom on the BUILD engine then see Duke Nukem 3d on the Doom engine.

Sounds intriguing :P If only i had time and energy and no longer interested in the Doom engine...

What editor- or where is the editor that is used to make maps for Duke3D?
UnTrustable
"Feed me...!"

Postby cauldron » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:52 am

Nearly finished the sprites for the ZsecSpecops plasmagunner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cauldron

PreviousNext

Return to General