[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby ravage » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:00 am

Xim wrote:That's an awesome pistol Deon. I've only watched Blade Runner maybe once, but I know that gun from the first two Fallout games, which copied the design for the 223 pistol. (edit: the later games renamed it, 'That Gun')

I was digging through my sprite dump folder and found a little edit I did a while ago, might as well share it.

Just a sideview edit made from the recoil frame from obtic's BFG. I probably won't continue on it, but if anyone wants to use it for whatever they can go ahead.

There was no recoil frame for the original obituary sonic gun. I made that one for an unfinished project.

Edit: Disregard me, Xaser beat me to it. :P
ravage
Compassionate Cryptid

Postby Xim » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:49 am

Okay, I added your name to credits ravage.

edit: lol, looks like you have to click the image. My bad. I've never used imgur for much.
Xim

Postby VriskaSerket » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:35 am

Made a little lightning gun or whatever you wanna call it. Been playing too much Iron Snail and thought the thundershot could use a better design, so that inspired me to create this thing I guess. Probably not quite fitting for IS due to the artstyle, but hey, at least this thing exists now.
Repurposed my ol' Oscillator nailgun module thing into this new shiny ass zapper. Fun to make, especially the cables. For the bottom part I used the DNF RPG model, did some manual shading and lighting, and then edited it further to shorten it and include a coil in the middle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VriskaSerket
a.k.a Squig

Discord: Squig#0592

Postby Deon » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Here's that "obvious imp recolor that just might work", just a concept.

I got this idea after watching another episode of Lost in Space.

P.S. I've also done something that looks like a fully working sprite. Yay I guess? It took a while :D. The credits are directly on the picture so they are not lost.

Spoiler:
Deon

Postby Deon » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Here's a de-zombified version of ZSpecOps, with covered arms, and with two death types, and grenade throwing animation sprites (and full brightmaps).

Preview:

Proof that it's done:
Spoiler:

Origin: ZSpecOps from Realm667 (Mark Quinn, Vegeta, Xim, Ghastly_dragon, MagicWazard)

Download link if interested (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y9Ngrj ... sp=sharing)
Deon

Postby Enjay » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Nicely done. Brightmaps too.

I love seeing full enemy sprite sets posted. Personally, I find them more interesting and useful than weapons. Nothing wrong with weapons either, of course (also very useful and appreciated), but a full enemy sprite set is much rarer. So when a good one comes along it's a :thumb: :thumb: from me.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Deon » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Thank you. I plan to add more deaths (with credits of course) adapted to this sprite, such as headshots/nutshots/spilled guts etc.

I think that it's rare that someone can come up with a completely original and yet fitting sprite, but frankenspriting existing creatures into new designs can lead to quite interesting monsters.
Deon

Postby Nmn » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:23 am

That looks great! Love that blue visor :)
Nmn

Postby Deon » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 am

I like glowing eyes/visor/details on monsters. It helps in dark areas where otherwise you wouldn't see the sprite well, at least with my old guy eyes :).

P.S. Here's the demo of sprites in the dark. You can see them even if it's pitch black.

P.P.S. And they found their home!

Spoiler:

I just wanted to thank you everyone in this thread, you've been a great inspiration for me to pick this up as a hobby, and I will keep going. And I hope you too! :D
Deon

Postby Lagi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:58 pm

Dean, amazing work on monsters. There is never too much of them.
Lagi

Postby Deon » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:11 pm

I still need to make believable cyborgs/robots for security forces, and I have a few options, but I need more practice first :D. As you can see most of my monsters so far are recolors with decoration/detail tweaks, and color swaps to make them look fitting.

I am far away from making my own good monsters, but that's how a lot of good monsters are made, little by little by community, so I believe somewhere down the road I will manage to impress, as long as I keep practicing and get criticism.
Deon

Postby Deon » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:04 pm

What do you think about this type of flying enemy, in this form?
It's a security drone with dual guns, does it look like it? (it's a GIF)

Deon

Postby DeeDeeOZ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:11 pm

Deon wrote:What do you think about this type of flying enemy, in this form?

I really like it. Don't know if it's just me but image is displaying blurry. But get the basic idea, quad rotor drone with guns.
Nice to see something different then strife drones (even though I got huge soft spot for them and the blakestone balls)
DeeDeeOZ

Postby Deon » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm

You gotta click it to open it in IMGUR, then it displays fine for me.
Here's full rotations.

Deon

Postby DeeDeeOZ » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:21 am

Deon wrote:You gotta click it to open it in IMGUR

Was on a Ipad earlier which didn't load it properly.
Looks good, I really like how it looks from behind and its great to see a more modern drone concept that looks like it could actually fly (without anti gravity engines or jet thrusters) Interested to see finished
DeeDeeOZ

PreviousNext

Return to General