[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby osjclatchford » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:18 pm

OSJC Slayers Legacy BFG.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
osjclatchford

Postby TheRailgunner » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:22 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Working on an enemy I sketched for Nukage - the Dark Priest, a Revenant-tier medium caster type monster. I've still got a lot to do on this one, but the basic outline is there.

EDIT: Some progress. Also, messing with a fuzzy shroud around the Darkness elements. I'm not entirely satisfied with the shading, though. Also, a Darkness Spirit, which spawns after killing a construct such the Dark Priest (and can reconstitute its original form after some period of time).

EDIT II: Meet the Dark Acolyte, a basic Darkness-entity construct that, if left to its own devices after a long enough period of time, metamorphose into a more advanced foe, such as the Priest shown previously. Apart from that, the Acolyte has basic ranged attacks, and can sometimes even be benign until provoked.

I'm really iffy on the fuzzy shroud effect, especially on the Acolyte. Also, gotta redo the feet - was just being lazy. I also might change the color scheme somewhat - I just went with this one to start with.

EDIT III: Fucked around with the "Relief" effect in Paint.NET, and came out with these (original versions are to the left of each for comparison).

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I don't know exactly how I feel about them, but they definitely present an alternate design path (possibly for a different project?).
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Captain J » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:18 am

Love the quality on the sprites. After seeing how big this is, i thought this was for Archvile replacement!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:10 pm

TheRailgunner wrote:Working on an enemy I sketched for Nukage - the Dark Priest, a Revenant-tier medium caster type monster. I've still got a lot to do on this one, but the basic outline is there.
:shock: These look amazing. Finishing the full set is going to be a big job but worth it. There can never be enough tech-magic fusions!
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby nova++ » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:47 pm

lol dangit, I was going to name one of my enemies the dark priest! Though, I wasnt super committed to it in my case, so no big deal.
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Discord: PM me!
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby bimshwel » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:05 pm

Seiken3_00235.png

it isn't that far off from Dark Bishop, which is in hexen. i don't think there is anything wrong with two different types of dark priest, although I can imagine "altar droid," "beepin deacon" or "dogomatic" working equally well under the right circumstances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:26 pm

bimshwel wrote:
Seiken3_00235.png

it isn't that far off from Dark Bishop, which is in hexen. i don't think there is anything wrong with two different types of dark priest, although I can imagine "altar droid," "beepin deacon" or "dogomatic" working equally well under the right circumstances.

Speaking of, I actually have a sketch for a "Dark Bishop" that's basically the next step up from the Priest - was wondering why it sounded so familiar...

nova++ wrote:lol dangit, I was going to name one of my enemies the dark priest! Though, I wasnt super committed to it in my case, so no big deal.

If it helps, you probably still can - hell, I might end up changing the names in the future.

Crappy outline for an Acolyte walking animation. I'm probably gonna have to redo some of these frames.

Attack animation for a Priest beam attack - haven't decided if I want the floating arm pylons to fire beams as well or some other projectile(s).

EDIT: Further progress on the walking animation, though I'm still fairly dissatisfied with it (there's also the fact that this is all the 1 angle - I haven't started on ANY rotations yet):

EDIT II: Set up the animation and its pacing - apart from the unpolished nature of the sprites (ideally I should make the torso pieces move as well), I think it's coming along better than I initially thought it had.

TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby VriskaSerket » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:33 pm

So... LossForWords made some really neat Doom 3 ROE super shotgun model rips. Almost fullbright, but still a solid base.
So then I edited the overall structure to make it less elongated and more fitting by average Doom SSG standards, and then drew lighting and shading on it. Why? Boredom lmao
First time I manually draw lighting and shading on a nearly shadingless flat sprite, and I'm happy with how it turned out, so I might try this with other similar rips later. And this SSG's reload, of course.
In the pic you got the original, my structure edit, and then the customized version (which has grey and yellow metals), a fully grey metal variant, a more classic Doom style color scheme and a variation of that with blue metal, because by now everyone can tell I love Doom 64.
VriskaSerket
a.k.a Squig

Discord: Squig#0592

Postby TheRailgunner » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:04 pm

Added the purple shading to the "skin" areas and gave the shoulder and torso pieces a bit of sway. I'm hoping to give the Acolyte the ability to attack while moving (I might well give this ability to ALL of the Dark Clergy as far as head-crystal beams are concerned), maybe a standalone running animation.

EDIT: Here's a version that's closer to Doom-sized (currently testing it with X.Scale 0.9 and Y.Scale 0.75).

First frame is idle, complete walking animation is afterward. Alignment guides are also included (with the small green ticks indicating the center axis; the feet are also lined up on the Y-axis).
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby DOOMPiter » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Captain J wrote:Do check out the gameplay vids of it

There is a ton of different builds you can actually check out on Itch.io, 3 of which i PERSONALLY archived on my own, and 3 that are officially available via Pizza Tower Guy's (PTG for short) Itch.io.
DOOMPiter
Engineer

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby TheRailgunner » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:55 pm

Very basic starting point for idle frame rotations. There's a lot of inconsistencies and issues I still have to iron out as I go, but I'm getting there...slowly...
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Captain J » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:54 am

Making enemy sprites with complete 5(or 8) rotations are by far the most tedious and challenging task to accomplish, especially when you're making it from scratch. So you're doing hella great job. Keep it up!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Woolie Wool » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:57 am

I remember seeing a sprite sheet for PC Wolf3D styled energy weapons around here, namely a railgun with big red magnet rings and a rocket launcher-like thing that fired blue fireballs. Does anyone know where they are?

Ignore this, they were on Diehard Wolfers, sorry. :oops:
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Sonik.o.fan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:07 am

Some spriteworks from relatively new Doom games

Spoiler:
Sonik.o.fan
Potato hater.

Discord: Tesefy#3336

Postby VriskaSerket » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:18 pm

Last night I went through some annoying lengths to rip this AR-10 from an upscaled Metal Slug 3D screenshot since I failed to rip the models. Though I did rip the textures, so after getting some upscaled mess in the absurdly small in-game weapon viewer, I then edited the model's (also AI upscaled) textures onto it to improve the detail, then manually edited a bunch of things and shape alterations because it was a very low poly model.
So yeah, I love Metal Slug and you can tell because I've bothered to do this, and made like 3 pickup sprites for this gun in the past. Enjoy the legendary [H]
VriskaSerket
a.k.a Squig

Discord: Squig#0592

PreviousNext

Return to General