[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Turbo is a great spriter. The original ROTT MP40 has some blue tones to it, and Turbo greyscaled it and applied a few corrections. He also enhanced the pickup sprite for it.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby bimshwel » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:56 pm

I think the slight blue and yellow bits give it some character! But naturally a regular doom palette does not have them.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby KynikossDragonn » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:39 am

bimshwel wrote:I think the slight blue and yellow bits give it some character!

I always thought the strange blueness in the MP-40 sprite in Rise of the Triad was a image editing error at the time, considering the other weapons didn't have such strange tones to them.

Though atleast it wasn't all deep blue like the replacement weapon sprites in Spear of Destiny's two "mission packs". That just made the guns look like water toys!
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Captain J » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:47 am

My all time favorite is classic Wolf3D going full white and turquoise over metal textures and guns tho they're not really edited from photos. Things were weird but somewhat able to shrug over with. At least such cases are a lot aesthetic than other MS DOS doom clones with weapon sprites of fuzzy JPEG vibe to it.

AC1Moreenemyrotations.png
Remember these folks? Made another additional rotation sprites for Action Doom 1.

Credit goes to ID Software and Scuba Steve.

EDIT: Added extra rotations to Alien and fixed the firing animation of Box Slug. Thanks for pointing out some errors, bimshwel!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Bjecinst » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:55 am

very nice, captain!

i worked on adding an SSG to my mod, using the handless default weapon sprites by JoeyTD

(sounds are very much so still WIP, but the animation i feel is pretty close to being done)
Bjecinst

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby bimshwel » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:52 pm

admittedly I haven't seen that snail before but it is definitely striking in appearance! It doesn't look easy to draw at all. I think it might be worth making one side of the box darker than the other for those diagonal angles. I would personally feel obsessive-compulsively inclined to make right-facing editions also so the box details don't go backwards but I may be uniquely bothered by things like that.

there is rarely true black and grey in reality, everything has bits of light from elsewhere. It isn't possible to incorporate that into doom but adding hints of color change on edges or curves is a decent poke at trying.

somebody converted the spear of destiny add-ons into a comprehensive zdoom wolfenstein package a few years ago so I finally got a look at them and EVERYTHING in them is ugly! Some of the base designs are interesting but the execution and particularly the animation is atrocious. The gatling guns don't even attempt to spin. Thankfully wolfenstein levels are pretty boring so I didn't feel like I was missing anything by quitting early and just browsing the graphics in slade.
this isn't strictly relevant but that same package has the dorky high resolution graphics from wolfenstein ports, but they are grabbed from the jaguar or whatsit version instead of the macintosh version so most of the bosses just have the first two walking frames that get mirrored for the other two which is also incredibly ugly, particularly on the rather asymmetrically shaded death knight.
one thing I did learn from analyzing it however, which the above video reminds me of, is that apparently frames can be set to decimal numbers now, so much smoother smoke trails on projectiles should be possible.
Why does that say handless? I still see a hand doing things.
oh how I talk
bimshwel

Postby Bjecinst » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:06 pm

bimshwel wrote:Why does that say handless? I still see a hand doing things.

should've said, i used them as a base to put hands onto again :P
Bjecinst

Postby DOOMPiter » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:24 pm

Bjecinst wrote:
bimshwel wrote:Why does that say handless? I still see a hand doing things.

should've said, i used them as a base to put hands onto again :P

Actually, do you still have said unhanded sprites for the vanilla weapons? I wanted to do something with them... :3:
DOOMPiter
Engineer

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Bjecinst » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:56 pm

DOOMPiter wrote:Actually, do you still have said unhanded sprites for the vanilla weapons? I wanted to do something with them... :3:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=32252#p611688
go hog wild
Bjecinst

Postby DOOMPiter » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:36 am

HOLY SHIT HANDLESS BETA SSG
HOLYSH.png

(Credits: JoeyTD, ID Software, Rav)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOOMPiter
Engineer

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby bimshwel » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:14 pm

The large black shadow area is definitely conspicuous without something grasping it, but in that case I am still unclear on what the point is if you add back the same hands that were removed initially!
bimshwel

Postby Bjecinst » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:20 pm

bimshwel wrote:The large black shadow area is definitely conspicuous without something grasping it, but in that case I am still unclear on what the point is if you add back the same hands that were removed initially!

it's so i can get better angles for both the gun and hands themselves that i couldn't achieve with both sprites combined, basically like a more finer way of """posing""'" the weapon
i realize now there's not really a good way to explain this... :[
Bjecinst

Postby Amuscaria » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:00 pm

Captain J wrote:My all time favorite is classic Wolf3D going full white and turquoise over metal textures and guns tho they're not really edited from photos. Things were weird but somewhat able to shrug over with. At least such cases are a lot aesthetic than other MS DOS doom clones with weapon sprites of fuzzy JPEG vibe to it.

AC1Moreenemyrotations.png
Remember these folks? Made another additional rotation sprites for Action Doom 1.

Credit goes to ID Software and Scuba Steve.

EDIT: Added extra rotations to Alien and fixed the firing animation of Box Slug. Thanks for pointing out some errors, bimshwel!

Digging the crate-snail. :D
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Bjecinst » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:09 pm

working on handing an AKS-74U set of sprites by nuke-em muscle
and, individual version of the fist used for the charging handle for anyone who wants it
Bjecinst

Postby Bjecinst » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:41 pm

heyo, got it animated! \o/
(sounds done by me)
Bjecinst

PreviousNext

Return to General