[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby CherubCorps » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:55 pm

Still frames of a rainbow blade attack. WIP.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 191300.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CherubCorps

Discord: CherubCorp#1153
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/cherubcorp

Postby DenisBelmondo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:01 pm

immoral conduct is now of legal drinking age in canada

Spoiler: older version
Last edited by DenisBelmondo on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DenisBelmondo
now is time to the i386 heart on fire

Postby chronoteeth » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:44 pm

glug
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby ChopBlock223 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 pm

DenisBelmondo wrote:Image

immoral conduct is now of legal drinking age in canada

When it'd come out now again? 2002? 2003? Man, it's old.
Spoiler:
ChopBlock223

Postby bimshwel » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:17 am

CherubCorps wrote:Still frames of a rainbow blade attack. WIP.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 191300.png

Rainbow swords are fun!
i do not want to seem presumptuous since I do not know what your precise goals are or if the rainbow sword is supposed to be a literal sword or simply something that resembles a sword in function
BUT I think the attack would look more blade like if the trail got wider in the middle, at least from side angles.
of course this is easier with a light-saber sort of thing that has no color changes to take into account; for that you can keep the brightest point consistently in the middle and show a somewhat darkened trail
the lower left facing angle is tricky, also, since the blade path might need to cross in front of the character's head to really look like it is carving in a similar manner to the other ones.
I also think the foot opposite the one holding the sword would be forward in the raised pose. the way you set it up, with the legs switching, the character appears to be stepping back when swinging rather than lunging forward.
I may have terribly overthought this unauthorized edit! thank you and good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby Captain J » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:07 am

bimshwel wrote:It reminds me of those exploding plants from corridor 3 in Guardian Legend. I wonder if, evidently lacking a mouth, it would attack in a similar manner.
Thanks the original sprite being a literal cutesy tomato!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby TheRailgunner » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Crappy in-progress Goa'uld Hand Device (also known as the "ribbon device" or by its Goa'uld name, the Kara Kesh) - a multi-purpose staple of Goa'uld System Lords and their underlings, functions as a weapon, torture device, shield generator, and all-around interface for other Goa'uld technology, like ring transporters and ship controls. Requires naquadah in the user's bloodstream in order to operate, usually via Goa'uld symbiote implantation. Needs more work, as in its current state, sports various glaring inaccuracies (ribbons should be MUCH wider and appear "flat", not rounded, and the end of the ribbon portion should terminate in a circular portion - in addition, there should be etchings all over every part of it except for the control crystal portion and the fingertips), as well as the dreadfully shaded thumbtip.

Suddenly the Degreelessness HUD face makes sense - it's not God Mode, it's Goa'uld Mode!
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby DeeDeeOZ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:24 pm

Hope this might peak someones interest, doom style Civilians (made from MARS3d mostly) made these for old mod of mine (which i probably wont ever release) where you play as a imp and take on the UAC. civs, doctors and suits, also cop. have full sprites for all done currently only have 4 rotations (but have rest on sheets so could do rest if some one pokes me enough) also have shock/pain state and death/dying sprites, made (badly) from scratch as originals had none. know there is currently severe shortage of these..

also MARS3d scale is slightly larger then regular Doom2 so need to be scaled to 0.9 to fit in with regular stuff.
DoomMARScivs.PNG

could release as pack in resources if anyone show interest.

also some silly stuff from Mod for Giggles
ZIMPodds.PNG
DeeDeeOZ

Postby VriskaSerket » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:57 pm

Tweaked some details and added an extra frame, I'd say this is the final version of this particular animation (minus maybe effects)
VriskaSerket
a.k.a Squig

Discord: Squig#0592

Postby bimshwel » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:16 pm

that slice is nice.
I also like the imp riding a demon. Frillip i gave one a chaingun once but that was back before i could draw so I never finished it. The helmet is an inspired inclusion. Monsters wearing hats is always funny to me.
bimshwel

Postby DeeDeeOZ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Thanks. The imps actually replaced all Zdoom Marines as allies. both the demon (marineBeserk) and caco (marineRocket) riders spawn unmounted riders when they died. had a silly sprite of one using aracnatron legs rig to. The helmet was dropped on death as a armor pickup to. got burly imps with shields/auto shotguns aswell. love enemies dropping useful things on death.
DeeDeeOZ

Postby osjclatchford » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:24 am

TheRailgunner wrote:Image

Crappy in-progress Goa'uld Hand Device (also known as the "ribbon device" or by its Goa'uld name, the Kara Kesh) - a multi-purpose staple of Goa'uld System Lords and their underlings, functions as a weapon, torture device, shield generator, and all-around interface for other Goa'uld technology, like ring transporters and ship controls. Requires naquadah in the user's bloodstream in order to operate, usually via Goa'uld symbiote implantation. Needs more work, as in its current state, sports various glaring inaccuracies (ribbons should be MUCH wider and appear "flat", not rounded, and the end of the ribbon portion should terminate in a circular portion - in addition, there should be etchings all over every part of it except for the control crystal portion and the fingertips), as well as the dreadfully shaded thumbtip.

Suddenly the Degreelessness HUD face makes sense - it's not God Mode, it's Goa'uld Mode!

Mak lo onak!
chel, CHEL nak!
osjclatchford

Postby CherubCorps » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 am

It's finished. This has been one of the hardest animations I've ever done. I also don't know why the gif is messing up. Click on the drawing to see the correct version.

Iris-attack-Big.gif

Rainbow swords are fun!
i do not want to seem presumptuous since I do not know what your precise goals are or if the rainbow sword is supposed to be a literal sword or simply something that resembles a sword in function
BUT I think the attack would look more blade like if the trail got wider in the middle, at least from side angles.
of course this is easier with a light-saber sort of thing that has no color changes to take into account; for that you can keep the brightest point consistently in the middle and show a somewhat darkened trail
the lower left facing angle is tricky, also, since the blade path might need to cross in front of the character's head to really look like it is carving in a similar manner to the other ones.
I also think the foot opposite the one holding the sword would be forward in the raised pose. the way you set it up, with the legs switching, the character appears to be stepping back when swinging rather than lunging forward.
I may have terribly overthought this unauthorized edit! thank you and good luck.

Wow! That looks amazing! That's crazy how you were able to make the blade look so epic. The rainbow blade is a liquid blade made from her chalice which she uses as a sword. She can also use it to summon heat-seeking butterflies at a distance.
CherubCorps

Discord: CherubCorp#1153
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/cherubcorp

Postby Nmn » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:50 am

DeeDeeOZ wrote: doom style Civilians]

:thumb:
Nmn
Just lurking about...

Postby bimshwel » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:12 am

CherubCorps wrote:
Wow! That looks amazing! That's crazy how you were able to make the blade look so epic. The rainbow blade is a liquid blade made from her chalice which she uses as a sword. She can also use it to summon heat-seeking butterflies at a distance.

i have just seen a lot of video game sword effects! you are free to incorporate any of that (although the left facing one I inadvertently made flipping sides the opposite way of the other three) though I absolutely understand not wanting to, especially after putting in a great amount of effort to finish it your own way! It is definitely a lot of details to figure out, especially since you appeared to be using the swordless revenant as a pose reference (hexen clerics or even centaurs might suit the weapon, at least, better). but if you do i would gladly tweak it further if necessary

also: gifs larger than the preview box limit tend to get resized differently for each frame, which I have also come up against numerous times! all you can do is trust people to look at the full version or keep making your gif smaller until it isn't bigger than the preview box.

i might test adding an abstract background to confuse its resizing system when next this becomes relevant.
bimshwel

PreviousNext

Return to General