[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Bratish
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Bratish »

Evil Bear From Burning Hell!
Bratish`s Hell-Bear test.gif
My second attempt at animating creatures, this time a four-legged one. I tried to beat Bull Demon from Doom 64, which did not look like a bull (except horns), adding these same horns (3 pieces) for my bear. It just a test :)

Nmn, thanks for the advice, but I, unfortunately, have absolutely no time on YouTube, I would prefer text manuals (it seems I saw something similar on Realm 667, but I'm not quite sure). But I will try to repeat the movements of the vanilla monsters to do the animation. I’ll say right away that I’ll do the hero is final, and any zombie demons as early as possible.
Bratish

Post by Bratish »

Improvements of Hell-Bear - the size has been increased to vanilla Pinky, the color and relief have been improved, but are still 4 frames.
Bratish`s Hell-Bear test edit.gif
I bet that no one thought of making such an monster for Doom. :geek:
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Somehow it looks quite disturbing, i like it! This got potential.

one tip to make it feel more like walking (if you excuse me throwing unwanted free advice):
Spoiler: no one asked for this but i felt compelled to write it
+

it's a long winded way of saying "do the lifting the leg thing" hahahah
Also i'd suggest making it look more like it's touching the floor by making the leg that is going further away from the camera not lift up as much, and instead get tinier.
A REALLY good reference for this is the Pinky itself.
Without doing that "lifting the leg" won't really be noticed.
love seeing original spritesets in different artstyles, keep it up!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Bratish wrote:Please do not throw rotten tomatoes at me ... This is my very first attempt to make an animation of a humanoid.
Oh man the nostalgia is growing bigger and bigger. The classic MS-DOS feel to it is quite interesting really! Unintentional or not, more improvement on walkcycle would be neat. Looking forward to your next work!
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I never thought the original doom demon (assuming "pinky" refers to that) looked like it was walking except from the front and back angles, possibly due to Adrian Carmack or whoever deciding to draw them without knees

with six frames it can work (the alpha demon just happens to have a pose that resembles how i imagine an intermediate pose would look, which i adapted for this), but with four, played this fast at least to my eyes it always looks like just two frames.
Attachments
SARGA3o.gif
SARGA3o.gif (6.03 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
SARGA3.gif
SARGA3.gif (8.19 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

And the funny thing is, they drew pinky's legs with a little help from jurassic park dinosaur toy. They used the toy as a reference but for some reason, the walkcycle looks the same and the legs are actually inverted?? Maybe it was just a design choice of making the enemy roster extra outlandish, but i found it funny really.

And about [imgur] tag, it only works as a thumbnail with URL linked to it. You must use [img] tag instead. See this thread for more information.
Bratish

Post by Bratish »

I am Nikita Kuplinov (known as Bratish), I welcome again everyone to this forum...
Bratish`s Rocket Launcher V4.gif
This is my new rocket launcher. I finally could control the fire, and now it is more or less normally animated. In addition, I made an attempt to change one part of the image during the attack (a missile passing into the barrel). Well, as always, the reload frame is bad and terrible.

If someone wants to fix the reboot frame, here is the archive with the original sprites (where the animation of the fire is not merged with the main weapon sprite):
Bratish`s Rocket Launcher V4.zip
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

that recoil isn't bad, but it would look better with an additional frame between it and the normal position, and the flash ought to reflect off the unit while firing.

Oh right I remember that picture showing the demon drawn over a plastic dinosaur, that probably explains why the original version had such a stiff and awkward gait

I know how the imgur tag works but I couldn't figure out why the gif wouldn't animate even though it seemed to in the previous post with the pig-person. The information box on the right declares "[img] is OFF" which is a tad irritating since I feel much more in control with my own webspace than imgur.
Attachments
SARGD33.gif
SARGD33.gif (5.39 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Bratish wrote:I am Nikita Kuplinov (known as Bratish), I welcome again everyone to this forum...
The attachment Bratish`s Rocket Launcher V4.gif is no longer available
This is my new rocket launcher. I finally could control the fire, and now it is more or less normally animated. In addition, I made an attempt to change one part of the image during the attack (a missile passing into the barrel). Well, as always, the reload frame is bad and terrible.

If someone wants to fix the reboot frame, here is the archive with the original sprites (where the animation of the fire is not merged with the main weapon sprite):
The attachment Bratish`s Rocket Launcher V4.zip is no longer available
well just because i had to make that comment here is a totally unsanctioned and shoddily quick alteration. Admittedly I don't have a clue how rocket launchers work because I have never played a shooting game more realistic than doom nor know precisely what you were going for!
Attachments
Bratish unrequested edit.gif
Bratish unrequested edit.gif (54.28 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Bratish

Post by Bratish »

bimshwel, you are a genius! I would never be able to make such a beautiful shot animation! Thank you very much for your contribution to my TC! Can I take these sprites and accredit you?
Bratish`s Mutman.png
So, and this is my edited zombie, I called him Mutated Man. I feel that I have not grown to full animation, and therefore I will also post the original versions for GIMP and Photoshop. Maybe someone will animate them properly, since I’m rather a “one-frame artist”, something like this...
Bratish`s Mutman Source XCF+PSD.zip
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

bimshwel wrote:well just because i had to make that comment here is a totally unsanctioned and shoddily quick alteration. Admittedly I don't have a clue how rocket launchers work because I have never played a shooting game more realistic than doom nor know precisely what you were going for!
Holy smokes, that some good firing effect! Colors going darker and spreading looks very neat.

Anyway this is the example of linking imgur URL links to [img] tag. gif or not, it works fine as long as you get the access to the [img] tag.
Bratish

Post by Bratish »

I decided to recall my old weapons, and here is one of them:
Bratish`s Handgun V3.gif
This is my handgun. I did it based on a screenshot from Doom 3 Alpha, and it is almost perfect except for the missing hand (I will put it in, but certainly not today). I wonder what problems can be found in these sprites?
Bratish

Post by Bratish »

So, today I felt that I have the strength to make my cherished dream at an angle - Soul Eater (replacement of BFG)!
Bratish`s Soul Eater V1.png
I made it on the basis of my cyberdemon`s belly sprite, and the only thing that is missing is the animations (of course) and the pick-up sprite. This is my triumph, I think so...
Bratish

Post by Bratish »

That's not all, what do you think?
Bratish`s Circular Saw V1.gif
My old weapon, the only thing I did was adjust the contrast. It looks a lot better than what I saw in FreeDoom. Guess three times how I did it...

By the way, this is the only weapon that already has a pick-up sprite. It is in the archive along with the main weapon sprites:
Bratish`s Circular Saw V1.zip
Bratish

Post by Bratish »

I`m practice quick drawing.
Bratish`s Glock.png
Here is the first example by me (I think this is the last from me for today). This is a glock that I drew in GIMP in one hour from scratch, without using any patterns and other things. Given that he is without animation, this is pretty fast.

Further I will try to make beautiful guns for an even shorter period - in 50 minutes, 45 and so on. I hope that’s how I learn to draw like the Necronixes

UPDATE: small editing in a few minutes:
Bratish`s Glock edit.png

Return to “General”