[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Darsycho » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 am

shitbag666 wrote:Here's a new weapon I just finished for happy time circus 3:

I'm going for a more high tech feel with this mod.

WHOA you posting again + the fact HTC 3 is apparently now a thing came outta nowhere, holy fuck. 👀

Lookin forward to this, and nice work!
Darsycho
IT'S A NON-STOP DISCO BET YOU IT'S NABISCO BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

Postby Negatronica » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 am

Captain J wrote:Well, i'll be tarred and feathered! The explosion effect looks very oily! I also love how the weapon looks!

Thanks! I started the weapon based off samples from a google image search for pipes and fittings. I took a screenshot of the images and pasted it into my project file in gimp. From there I select some parts of images and use gimp's perspective tool and start arranging the basic shape of the weapon. Then I start the details which is the longest phase. I'm currently working on a second weapon using this same method.

Darsycho wrote:
WHOA you posting again + the fact HTC 3 is apparently now a thing came outta nowhere, holy fuck. 👀

Lookin forward to this, and nice work!

Thank you! I've been out of the loop for a while due to shifting interests as well as dealing with some heavy depression. I feel stable on my current med and will hopefully be able to finish this mod. When I have a bit more to show I will create a project thread for HTC3.
Negatronica

Postby ChopBlock223 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Played lazily a bit with that edit that Zergeant made. Tried to figure some simple way to make this guy look scarier/menacing, or more interesting.

flesh sample thing.png

Ultimately I don't think my heart was really in it, I think the edit to make him easier to edit is a great idea, but I just couldn't come up with much on the fly to soup him up.
"Empty dark eyesockets, that could be creepy looking, right?"
"Uuuh, I guess make the toenails look distinct from his feet."
"What if I made his fists soaked with blood or something, like a Shambler?"

None of this clicked and made it feel like I was onto something, but maybe someone else likes the idea and wants to expand on it.
EDIT: Actually, looking at his color, he kinda makes me think of Perdition's Gate, which I guess isn't a good thing, or it is, depending on who you ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopBlock223

Postby Cherno » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:33 pm

ChopBlock223 wrote:Played lazily a bit with that edit that Zergeant made. Tried to figure some simple way to make this guy look scarier/menacing, or more interesting.

Ultimately I don't think my heart was really in it, I think the edit to make him easier to edit is a great idea, but I just couldn't come up with much on the fly to soup him up.
"Empty dark eyesockets, that could be creepy looking, right?"
"Uuuh, I guess make the toenails look distinct from his feet."
"What if I made his fists soaked with blood or something, like a Shambler?"

None of this clicked and made it feel like I was onto something, but maybe someone else likes the idea and wants to expand on it.
EDIT: Actually, looking at his color, he kinda makes me think of Perdition's Gate, which I guess isn't a good thing, or it is, depending on who you ask.

Reminds me of the Razide painting from the Warzone rulebook by Paul Bonner.

razide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cherno

Postby Enjay » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:00 pm

ChopBlock223 wrote:flesh sample thing.png

I like that. The hands are better coloured than I was doing.

I was also considering trying to give him some sort or melee punch but I'm not good enough to do intermediate frames. I think these on their own would just look too mechanical

These also show the slightly darker body colour that I was trying to go for (but still in the Doom colour range).
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby ChopBlock223 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Cherno wrote:Reminds me of the Razide painting from the Warzone rulebook by Paul Bonner.

Oh dude, it totally does! I really like the very exaggerated styling of that old Necromunda stuff.

Enjay wrote:I was also considering trying to give him some sort or melee punch but I'm not good enough to do intermediate frames. I think these on their own would just look too mechanical

I think that's something that I really wanted done actually, I really think he should have some kind of punch animation, monsters which can get up close and clobber, slash, or bite you, are just better than ones that can only toss projectiles, IMO. Ideally I'd wanted to put claws on him, but punching is good enough and far easier to get done. One intermediate frame (with accompanying rotations), I think would be enough to make it work as a melee attack.
ChopBlock223

Postby Enjay » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:16 pm

I think a good, heavy dull-sounding punch would suit this guy very well. To me he's probably a big lumbering flesh golem of some sort. (actually a double right-left punch)

But, like I said, I'm not good enough to do the intermediate frames. :?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby neoworm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 am

Mutant Chronicles have stellar designs. I am still toying with 3D with a vague idea to try to make some of them to DooM monsters. Still a long way to get there.
neoworm

Postby Cherno » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 am

neoworm wrote:Mutant Chronicles have stellar designs. I am still toying with 3D with a vague idea to try to make some of them to DooM monsters. Still a long way to get there.

I played with the thought as well. I'd love to see some of the weapons in Doom, like the Charger HMG or Necrotech stuff like the Azogar and Scythe of Semai.

mutantpedia has some pictures of the cancelled Warzone videogame.

Cherno

Postby Negatronica » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 am

I just finished what I'm calling the soul cannon. It shoots a ball of soul matter which explodes and tendrils of flame will randomly spread out from the main explosion. It looks kinda cool in action.

Negatronica

Postby Zergeant » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:42 am

Glad my edit is of use! I tried my own hand at that Razide mutant, gave it red arms and veins, unfortunately I didn't realize Modes on the layers in Gimp operated separately from the image's indexed palette.
WendigoUnfrozen_RazideFrame.png

As opposed to the truecolor before the export:
WendigoUnfrozen_RazideFrame_TrueColor.png
Zergeant

Postby LossForWords » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:01 pm

credz to cap j.
LossForWords
your friendly neighborhood друг.

Postby VriskaSerket » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Helmet Doomguy for all your 'nam flashbacks.
Might make some more variants.
VriskaSerket
a.k.a Squig

Postby Vegeta(dw) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:04 pm

As DOOM Eternal is going to include angels, here is my interpretation of angels in classic DOOM universe (very quick sketch). They are obviously inspired in these of DOOM Eternal, but have my own vision. They are the opposite to demons, so they'd be mostly metal, advanced angels may have flesh hands to cast spells (in replace to cyber implants). They must have some sort of clothes as demons are nude.

Vegeta(dw)

Postby VriskaSerket » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Seeing that skin-colored wendigo made me think it was a good base for custom monsters and I got to making this... thing.
I don't even know what it's supposed to be, but it was fun to create this boi.
VriskaSerket
a.k.a Squig

PreviousNext

Return to General