[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby YukesVonFaust » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:35 am

DenisBelmondo wrote:Image

Wolf3D TC of Castlevania when
YukesVonFaust
Kicking Asses and Taking Names

Discord: Yukes von Faust#9009
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Postby Captain J » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:21 am

WHAT IS A DOOM MOD? A BRILLIANT CORNUCOPIA FULL OF... well, STUFF!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby HorrorMovieGuy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:29 pm

The MAC port of Wolfenstein had a bit of an interesting philosophy going on: Have sprites that are twice the resolution, but at the cost of no rotations, and drastically reduced frame count. Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing, so I decided to try my hand at doing this Hellrazer from Doom '16 (loosely based on the chaingunner animations) just to see how hard it would be and well, it is a lot of work, but it's perfectly doable. This is only an experiment of course, I don't plan on doing much more of this (maaaaaybe the Doom '16 former humans and Imps, but no promises!)
HorrorMovieGuy
Witch cat that lives in the swamp

Postby YukesVonFaust » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:31 pm

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:The MAC port of Wolfenstein had a bit of an interesting philosophy going on: Have sprites that are twice the resolution, but at the cost of no rotations, and drastically reduced frame count. Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing, so I decided to try my hand at doing this Hellrazer from Doom '16 (loosely based on the chaingunner animations) just to see how hard it would be and well, it is a lot of work, but it's perfectly doable. This is only an experiment of course, I don't plan on doing much more of this (maaaaaybe the Doom '16 former humans and Imps, but no promises!)

wow you made a hellrazer turn into a b u f f b o i
YukesVonFaust

Postby LossForWords » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:53 pm

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:Image

from hellrazer to hellwave-motion-cannon
LossForWords
your friendly neighborhood друг.

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:31 pm

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing...

While your sprite looks cool (and it really does), I can't agree that single angle sprites work particularly well, even in single player. As soon as they try to walk at an angle or, worse yet, away from you, things start to get weird. And if they can in-fight, it gets even weirder with enemies apparently facing you and firing at you but their shots going somewhere else entirely.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Captain J » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:38 pm

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:The MAC port of Wolfenstein had a bit of an interesting philosophy going on: Have sprites that are twice the resolution, but at the cost of no rotations, and drastically reduced frame count. Frankly, that's something I don't mind at all in the context of a single-player only thing, so I decided to try my hand at doing this Hellrazer from Doom '16 (loosely based on the chaingunner animations) just to see how hard it would be and well, it is a lot of work, but it's perfectly doable. This is only an experiment of course, I don't plan on doing much more of this (maaaaaybe the Doom '16 former humans and Imps, but no promises!)
SUPER BADASS!! Looks so super detailed and just like original design- Superb work!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Gez » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:38 pm

YukesVonFaust wrote:wow you made a hellrazer turn into a b u f f b o i

Remember that in-game it'd be vertically stretched 20%. Raw sprites are always thicc.
Gez

Postby YukesVonFaust » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:01 pm

YukesVonFaust

Postby Welite » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 am

Here's a rough draft of the gloves from the HL2 mod Underhell :
Attachments
uh hands.png
Welite

Discord: 7781

Postby ThrashfanBert1994 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:25 am

[https://i.imgur.com/K0wbUEn.gif/img]

Whens the full set?
Im interested
ThrashfanBert1994

Postby HorrorMovieGuy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Enjay wrote:As soon as they try to walk at an angle or, worse yet, away from you, things start to get weird. And if they can in-fight, it gets even weirder with enemies apparently facing you and firing at you but their shots going somewhere else entirely.

That's completely fair, I think I'm more so used to it because I've played so much of those Wolfenstein mods that use the Mac sprites. Mmhh, Doom does have infighting though, as you mentioned, which would be a problem if I used these for anything. Infighting does look really off without proper rotations.

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:Whens the full set?
Im interested

I've finished the attack frames and did 2 out of 3 death frames. The pain frame is also complete, but I wanna polish it as it looks kinda bland right now.
HorrorMovieGuy
Witch cat that lives in the swamp

Postby NeonLights95 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Welite wrote:Here's a rough draft of the gloves from the HL2 mod Underhell :

I like this. I think it's absolutely well done. It is probably the neatest looking set of gloves I've seen.
NeonLights95
CrossJD95

Discord: CrossJD95#3652
Twitch ID: CrossJD95
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit

Postby Welite » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:25 pm

NeonLights95 wrote:
Welite wrote:Here's a rough draft of the gloves from the HL2 mod Underhell :

I like this. I think it's absolutely well done. It is probably the neatest looking set of gloves I've seen.

Cheers :D I might do a full set of these, they're really easy to do.

The arm part is literally a recoloured version of the "Plasma" filter in GIMP, it's quite lazy on my part :P
Welite

Discord: 7781

Postby LossForWords » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:07 pm

nam and wwii gi's destructive devices, the bazooka, the law and flamethrower, widescreened and unhanded. and with a deactivated law as a bonus. also, here's some more wwii gii weapons, reload sprites and magazines freed from the shitty dn3dsleeve edits, and a drum mag version of the thompson.
Attachments
unhand me.png
layinthelaw.png
LossForWords
your friendly neighborhood друг.

PreviousNext

Return to General