[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby REXMaster » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:20 am

Kinsie wrote:
REXMaster wrote:Proof -
https://youtu.be/V7-OzrB_bdA
Interesting. Nothing to do with spriting and therefore nothing to do with this thread, but I'll throw my hands up and happily admit you've accomplished more than I thought you had.

Not too keen on some of that material work, though - that Hell Knight in the Workshop page screenshots looks like it's just the basetexture, the rest seem to be kind of lacking in how their de-HDRification was handled compared to, say, BlueFlytrap's mesh-stacking tricks in the SFM ports... I guess GMod doesn't have the CustomHero shader or whatever, though...

REXMaster wrote:scripts are written i need to rewrite them on Decorate
I thought you said you weren't doing GZDoom stuff anymore? Unless you're counting "ZDoom" as 2D only and "GZDoom" as 3D models only, which is dumb and also ZDoom's been dead for quite a while.

I am smarter has you think and I know.

Hellknight's screenshot is just bad. In game it looks as it need to look.

I just want experimant and see what will happen.

Also maybe I said wrong about 2d and zdoom but I mean that I was finished with (g)zdoom and emigrated to Gmod but now I want to just experiment lol.
REXMaster
 
Joined: 31 May 2018

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby willkuer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:48 am

REXMaster wrote:
Most models and textures are actually ripped, ai understood, sounds ripped, *.blend files still here from old 2d project, scripts are written i need to rewrite them on Decorate.

Proof -
https://youtu.be/V7-OzrB_bdA


You do realise that not only porting a Zenimax/Bethesda property, but whole sale ripping it (animations, sounds, mechanics) and cramming it into GMOD (another company's property), and releasing it on an official channel of a distributer's platform (Steam Workshop) might be a bit risky an "experiment"?

Don't get me wrong, this community often steps into legal (IPs) grey areas but these are so far removed from practical reality, that even 20th Century Fox stopped persuing Alien mods for this kind of - literal - fan service to their property. When you port something to a sprite based mod for GZDoom you're practically "demaking" it, or, pulling from public domain or abandon ware or simply "use fair" - and people mostly don't persue commercial interests with this kind of creative hobby (also, one can basically play GZDoom for free using Freedoom).

You, on the other hand, are pushing it with this project. I mean you no harm and hope you keep learning the crafts and arts but, you know, just saying...
Last edited by willkuer on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willkuer
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Location: Austria

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby REXMaster » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:29 am

willkuer wrote:
REXMaster wrote:
Most models and textures are actually ripped, ai understood, sounds ripped, *.blend files still here from old 2d project, scripts are written i need to rewrite them on Decorate.

Proof -
https://youtu.be/V7-OzrB_bdA


You do realise that not only porting a Zenimax/Bethesda property, but whole sale ripping it (animations, sounds, mechanics) and cramming it into GMOD (another company's property), and releasing it on an official channel of a distributer's platform (Steam Workshop) might be a bit risky an "experiment"?

Don't get me wrong, this community often stepts into legal (IPs) grey areas but these are so far removed from practical reality, that even 20th Century Fox stopped persuing Alien mods for this kind of - literal - fan service to their property. When you port something to a sprite based mod for GZDoom you're practically "demaking" it, or, pulling from public domain or abandon ware or simply "use fair" - and people mostly don't persue commercial interests with this kind of creative hobby (also, one can basically play GZDoom for free using Freedoom).

You, on the other hand, are pushing it with this project. I mean you no harm and hope you keep learning the crafts and arts but, you know, just saying...


Ahh... I am scared, dude.

Joking.

I do not care because:

1 - I added credits to ID and Bethesda. I said that all of it by them.

2 - Its a FREE mod, I am not selling it for money.

3 - Its a over nine thousands of people ripped something from DOOM. And nobody has problems related to copyright.

4 - I am export assets from game I bought, not pirated.
REXMaster
 
Joined: 31 May 2018

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby wildweasel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:26 am

REXMaster wrote:I do not care because:

1 - I added credits to ID and Bethesda. I said that all of it by them.

2 - Its a FREE mod, I am not selling it for money.

3 - Its a over nine thousands of people ripped something from DOOM. And nobody has problems related to copyright.

4 - I am export assets from game I bought, not pirated.

1. Never stopped any corporation from issuing a takedown notice.
2. Also never stopped any corporation from issuing a takedown notice.
3. Most likely the reason for this is that Zenimax are not aware of it. They don't specifically go hunting this stuff down, because that's not their job.
4. Owning the license to install and play a game on your computer is not the same as owning the copyright to its assets.
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby REXMaster » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:58 am

wildweasel wrote:
REXMaster wrote:I do not care because:

1 - I added credits to ID and Bethesda. I said that all of it by them.

2 - Its a FREE mod, I am not selling it for money.

3 - Its a over nine thousands of people ripped something from DOOM. And nobody has problems related to copyright.

4 - I am export assets from game I bought, not pirated.

1. Never stopped any corporation from issuing a takedown notice.
2. Also never stopped any corporation from issuing a takedown notice.
3. Most likely the reason for this is that Zenimax are not aware of it. They don't specifically go hunting this stuff down, because that's not their job.
4. Owning the license to install and play a game on your computer is not the same as owning the copyright to its assets.


Hm? Still everybody modder that I know believe in that 4 things and for 2 years nobody was taked down.

Also I know that in 4th question it's a different things but porting from game that you bought is a little more legally than porting from pirated.
REXMaster
 
Joined: 31 May 2018

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby willkuer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:47 pm

REXMaster wrote:Also I know that in 4th question it's a different things but porting from game that you bought is a little more legally than porting from pirated.


No, there is no "being more or less legal" involved in this. It's a simple case of copyright, intellectual property and ToS regarding Software as a Service, where I work; though, who am I to know how the laws are written in your place. It doesn't matter, it's none of my business anyways. Have fun!
willkuer
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Location: Austria

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby LossForWords » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:42 pm

something about durandal, budget cuts and shotguns.
single barrel handless wste-m5 shotgun.
original by bungie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
LossForWords
your friendly neighborhood друг.
 
Joined: 14 Jan 2017

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Vostyok » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Cool. Spriters resource website recently put up some of the HD weapon sprites for marathon infinity. The shotgun looks awesome. Might be worth you looking at those too :)

edit: wrote spriting carnival, not spriters resource. I'm drunk. Don't judge me.
User avatar
Vostyok
Free Radical
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Yurup
Discord: Vostyok#3164

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Assassin of Purity » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:16 pm

LossForWords wrote:something about durandal, budget cuts and shotguns.
single barrel handless wste-m5 shotgun.
original by bungie.

I love that very much, excellent work! :)
Assassin of Purity
 
Joined: 10 May 2018

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Captain J » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:38 pm

LossForWords wrote:something about durandal, budget cuts and shotguns.
single barrel handless wste-m5 shotgun.
original by bungie.
Now that's single barreled and perfect, would be a good use for humanoid killer robot. :P
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby wildweasel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:37 pm

REXMaster wrote:Also I know that in 4th question it's a different things but porting from game that you bought is a little more legally than porting from pirated.

Not to belabor the point, but allow me to cite the case of a mod called Generations, for Quake 2. They had ported content from Quake 1 into the Quake 2 engine. This included weapon models and maps. id Software issued that mod a Cease and Desist notice. The primary reason that they are not doing that here is that they have not been made aware of any violation of their copyrights on this forum.

I, personally, do not have any right to tell you not to do what you're doing, but I do want you to at least be aware of how things work.
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby REXMaster » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:00 pm

wildweasel wrote:
REXMaster wrote:Also I know that in 4th question it's a different things but porting from game that you bought is a little more legally than porting from pirated.

Not to belabor the point, but allow me to cite the case of a mod called Generations, for Quake 2. They had ported content from Quake 1 into the Quake 2 engine. This included weapon models and maps. id Software issued that mod a Cease and Desist notice. The primary reason that they are not doing that here is that they have not been made aware of any violation of their copyrights on this forum.

I, personally, do not have any right to tell you not to do what you're doing, but I do want you to at least be aware of how things work.


So what i should do? Stop all my work, delete it, sit and cry? No, I believe that I blessed by Gods Of Modding. And I will continue all I started.

Also it's off-topic, we should end it before it becomes a shit-throwing.
REXMaster
 
Joined: 31 May 2018

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Kinsie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 pm

REXMaster wrote:So what i should do? Stop all my work, delete it, sit and cry?
No, but you should at least prepare, even if just emotionally, for the possibility of a legal nastygram that snuffs your efforts out.
REXMaster wrote:No, I believe that I blessed by Gods Of Modding.
If there are Gods of Modding, then the horrific nightmares regularly belched out by certain corners of the Elder Scrolls/Fallout community have ensured that they have long abandoned mankind to its own devices.
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby jdredalert » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:53 pm

REXMaster wrote:So what i should do? Stop all my work, delete it, sit and cry? No, I believe that I blessed by Gods Of Modding. And I will continue all I started.


That was an arrogant reply at least. Nobody here wants to put you down, only warn you of the risks of what you're doing.
User avatar
jdredalert
State of badass art.
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2013

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby REXMaster » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:08 am

jdredalert wrote:That was an arrogant reply at least. Nobody here wants to put you down, only warn you of the risks of what you're doing.

I know, i just said that i will continue it anyways. Is not so risky because one my friend works on DOOM stuff for other game almost 2 years and all is good.
Kinsie wrote: but you should at least prepare, even if just emotionally, for the possibility of a legal nastygram that snuffs your efforts out.

If it happens i will sit and cry. Lol, joking, i will distribute it throught darknet.
Anyways i reloaded my shit-thrower.
Kinsie wrote:If there are Gods of Modding, then the horrific nightmares regularly belched out by certain corners of the Elder Scrolls/Fallout community have ensured that they have long abandoned mankind to its own devices.

And will the Last Judgment and all those mods its very existence offends all in a row (and their authors) will burn in the flames of hell and their torment will be eternal.
Perhaps the Gods of Modding just have not yet figured out how they will perform it.
Anyways Amen.
REXMaster
 
Joined: 31 May 2018

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests