[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby iamcarrotmaster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Captain J wrote:Still looks undoubtedly same, tho. Also this whole situation kinda reminds me of Ion Maiden's... Hahahah, but can we just wait until the original game comes out?

I know you guys did best making those weapons to give tribute and whatnot. But to me, it's like ruining the whole fun of waiting for the game and makes me difficult to imagine what original weapon feels like in the game.


Its all in good fun
iamcarrotmaster
 
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Discord: Iamcarrotmaster#9089

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby simploo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm

iamcarrotmaster wrote:Its all in good fun

Your work looks awesome, and I for one wouldn't mind using them to blast demons in anticipation for DOOM Eternal.

Also, in line of DOOM Eternal stuff.

Image
Image
User avatar
simploo
Angry Bones
 
Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Location: Necropolis
Discord: Simploo#7765

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby jdredalert » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:18 pm

wildweasel wrote:
IMX wrote:In a semi-desperate need to unrust myself. A quick and dirty rip of Eternal's SSG.

At least wait for the game to be released, first. This has always struck me as bad juju. :?


Is that a bad thing in some way? I was thinking about ripping some weapons from the videos myself too, but your post left me wondering if we are doing something wrong (specially since we're not butchering the actual game content directly from the source files, but rather editing screenshots captured from a public released video).
User avatar
jdredalert
State of badass art.
 
Joined: 13 Jul 2013

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby wildweasel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:46 pm

jdredalert wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
IMX wrote:In a semi-desperate need to unrust myself. A quick and dirty rip of Eternal's SSG.

At least wait for the game to be released, first. This has always struck me as bad juju. :?


Is that a bad thing in some way? I was thinking about ripping some weapons from the videos myself too, but your post left me wondering if we are doing something wrong (specially since we're not butchering the actual game content directly from the source files, but rather editing screenshots captured from a public released video).

I guess I can't really offer anything besides gut feelings, since I really don't want to "be the admin" about it today. It's cool that you guys are doing your thing, putting your spin on these new and exciting things that they've shown us. But I kinda feel like, the reveal only happened last week, and I've definitely seen it happen a few times that artists are upset that their work is already being ripped and edited before their project has become available to play.

Maybe my perspective is just too dated. The internet moves fast and all that. At this point I don't think I should be telling anybody to stop. I just don't want the people who made these nice things to suddenly tell us that they won't show us the nice things anymore.
User avatar
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Assassin of Purity » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:11 pm

I smell an Eternal mod cooking up.
User avatar
Assassin of Purity
 
Joined: 10 May 2018

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Vostyok » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Better to err on caution. Id software have always been pretty open to modding and editing of their published content (I'd still like to know what they think of the zdoom version of quake champions. Eek!) Hopefully no one gets too sore about stuff being ripped that isn't even released yet. I know a few people who REALLY don't appreciate it...
User avatar
Vostyok
Vostyok is dead. Long live Vostyok.
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Forbidden Zone
Discord: Vostyok#3164

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby jdredalert » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 pm

wildweasel wrote: [...]But I kinda feel like, the reveal only happened last week, and I've definitely seen it happen a few times that artists are upset that their work is already being ripped and edited before their project has become available to play.

Maybe my perspective is just too dated. The internet moves fast and all that. At this point I don't think I should be telling anybody to stop. I just don't want the people who made these nice things to suddenly tell us that they won't show us the nice things anymore.



I understand your feelings. Although i don't think ripping the video would be unethical (or at least, would be as unethical as ripping stuff from games as we always did), i can understand that some people iD or Bethsoft may or may not be upset about a Doom Eternal mod coming out before the actual game, and that's a risk we should avoid. So no sprite sheets based on footage by myself for now.
User avatar
jdredalert
State of badass art.
 
Joined: 13 Jul 2013

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Captain J » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 pm

wildweasel wrote:I guess I can't really offer anything besides gut feelings, since I really don't want to "be the admin" about it today. It's cool that you guys are doing your thing, putting your spin on these new and exciting things that they've shown us. But I kinda feel like, the reveal only happened last week, and I've definitely seen it happen a few times that artists are upset that their work is already being ripped and edited before their project has become available to play.

Maybe my perspective is just too dated. The internet moves fast and all that. At this point I don't think I should be telling anybody to stop. I just don't want the people who made these nice things to suddenly tell us that they won't show us the nice things anymore.
You sir, you just said everything i sincerely feel about such sprites. I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't hate nor trying to force them to take them down or something. Sprites are sprites, made from their hands, effort and needs to be liked for encouragement. However i sometimes feel awkward because Weasel mentioned quote; some artists or the developers themselves would get unintentionally upset about this.

My feel goes same for Weasel, however i respect your works nonetheless. I just hope they never get upset or anything.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Skelegant » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:03 am

Rips are ok but crappy vanilla edits are still my fave lol

Image
User avatar
Skelegant
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2014
Location: All over the walls and floor of E2M8

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Clay » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:11 am

I feel mostly the same. My first experience with this was ripping a frame from a Scorn weapon. Something felt wrong about it and I posted it anyways. I was made to feel like shit about for good reason. Needless to say I deleted it. It just seems wrong as hell even if I cannot fully justify why. I have had designs stolen from me before and the thieves made hundreds of thousands (2 inventions I made) and they even credited me...which....is just horrible.

A good secondary reason for me is that I would just rip the model and have MUCH less work to do anyways. With my render pipeline it would turn out great anyways. I do think you guys need to chill. Do it if you want to but don't involve the rest of us..keep it to yourselves please.

With that said, we should either stop this or start another thread to discuss the do's and don'ts, if need be. Not trying to moderate. I just think it seems logical.
User avatar
Clay
Join my model specific Dicord! https://discord.gg/hQD9Va
 
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: That one secret you always miss.
Discord: SomeOtherDoomGuy#7217

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Clay » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 am

Skelegant wrote:Rips are ok but crappy vanilla edits are still my fave lol



Haha. Not so crappy. Nice job man!
User avatar
Clay
Join my model specific Dicord! https://discord.gg/hQD9Va
 
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: That one secret you always miss.
Discord: SomeOtherDoomGuy#7217

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby iamcarrotmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 am

Also did the shotgun...
Attachments
Doom-Eternal-Combat-Shotgun-Scaled.png
Doom-Eternal-Combat-Shotgun-Scaled.png (16.85 KiB) Viewed 182 times
iamcarrotmaster
 
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Discord: Iamcarrotmaster#9089

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby iamcarrotmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 am

...and the rocket launcher
Attachments
Doom-Eternal-rocket-launcher-polished.png
Doom-Eternal-rocket-launcher-polished.png (30.67 KiB) Viewed 182 times
iamcarrotmaster
 
Joined: 15 Apr 2018
Discord: Iamcarrotmaster#9089

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Assassin of Purity » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 am

Eternal mod coming.
User avatar
Assassin of Purity
 
Joined: 10 May 2018

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Captain J » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 am

Make it wide-screen friendly, maybe?
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], VriskaSerket and 2 guests