[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby raymoohawk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:34 am

attempted to sprite on sketchbook pro, not a good idea, had to do lots of clean up in photoshop afterwards, here is my unfinished attempt

raymoohawk

Postby Captain J » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:50 am

neat work! but that gun arms at the front sight is pretty bent unlike than the others, also out of color schemes.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Gez » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:51 am

The detail on the tail seems completely different between the second and third pic. Odd.
Gez

Postby Captain J » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:16 am

so...it's finished eventually. it was been late because of overwhelming fatigues and eyesores. god, i hate that shit. i didn't slept for a long times for reason, so that happens.
MX-16 black fox.PNG

glory to arby26 from gamebanana.

oh, also i'd appreciated if someone's willing to put the laser sight at the crosshair.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Raziel236 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:12 am

raymoohawk wrote:attempted to sprite on sketchbook pro, not a good idea, had to do lots of clean up in photoshop afterwards, here is my unfinished attempt

Jeeez!!

The 3/4 quarter view is a little extreme, it's almost side-on.
Raziel236
We're rolling on..

Postby Enjay » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 pm

raymoohawk wrote:Image

That looks very cool but if the intention is for it to be a doom sprite, the fact that the graphic is much wider in the side view than the front view is likely to be problematic in a whole range of mapping and rendering situations.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Raziel236 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Enjay wrote:
raymoohawk wrote:Image

That looks very cool but if the intention is for it to be a doom sprite, the fact that the graphic is much wider in the side view than the front view is likely to be problematic in a whole range of mapping and rendering situations.

Wait, is that a thing?
Raziel236
We're rolling on..

Postby Enjay » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Well, the problem is that Doom entities are square. So, if you have an enemy that is significantly longer than it is wide visually, it won't match up with its actual size.

You'd have to decide what width to make the underlying actor. Do you make it nearer to the width or the length of the sprite? Do you have a compromise? If you make it big, then it can't fit through gaps that it looks like it should be able to (from front on at least). If you make it small, then bits of it will stick out past its bounding box and could poke through walls or it could even appear/disappear if it was at the edge of your view and standing in a small sector.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby fellowzdoomer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:34 pm

I removed it. NeutralStunner quoted what i said below, as it was a request more than a sprite.
Last edited by fellowzdoomer on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fellowzdoomer
Charmed, I'm Sure

Discord: Athel#2406
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Tapwave » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:35 pm

wildweasel wrote:
smoke_th wrote:I sincerely doubt it. I mean it looks like someone threw pair of techno-horns onto a gun. What function do they do?

A rather large muzzle brake, possibly.

Was thinking of some kind of large heatsink or compensator. They're mostly just leftovers of my clean crossbow sprite I used as a base.
It's going to be a 'slow light' laser vulcan in my mod.

The sigil won't get more frames because it was a total bitch to edit, even if it was super simple: I just added an extra steel beam across the frame, and doubled the techy holes and cleaned them a little.
I'm using it as a zap-ring to force monsters into painstate (so it's just a lot of high-diff railbeams). Also you can just basically just copypaste the sigil flash over this and it'll work just fine.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Discord: Sunray#7070
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby NeuralStunner » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:50 pm

fellowzdoomer wrote:Image

Can anyone apply Dodge and Burn to this shotgun? Im going to clean it up a bit afterwards.
Wait, what? It's an erratic color blob. You're basically asking someone to make a complete sprite out of it. That's not how things work. :|
NeuralStunner
An Exercise in Self-Indulgence

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Postby Gez » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Enjay wrote:Well, the problem is that Doom entities are square. So, if you have an enemy that is significantly longer than it is wide visually, it won't match up with its actual size.

You'd have to decide what width to make the underlying actor. Do you make it nearer to the width or the length of the sprite? Do you have a compromise? If you make it big, then it can't fit through gaps that it looks like it should be able to (from front on at least). If you make it small, then bits of it will stick out past its bounding box and could poke through walls or it could even appear/disappear if it was at the edge of your view and standing in a small sector.

Also: make it large and from the front you'll be able to hurt it by visually shooting next to it (blood will spurt out of empty air). Make it thin and you get the reverse problem: when shooting at it from the side, you can see your shots disappearing through the sprite harmlessly.
Gez

Postby Galaxy_Stranger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:09 pm

I guess I should have posted this here:

Team Fortress Classic ideas using Marine Skins, VWeps, Blake Stone and Strife, etc.
Galaxy_Stranger
Shropshire Slasher

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:20 pm

I like how you used the Nail Borg Commando's gun as a grenade launcher. I like the medic too.
Carbine Dioxide
True force, all the king's men could not put it back together again.

Postby fellowzdoomer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:39 pm

NeuralStunner wrote:
fellowzdoomer wrote:Image

Can anyone apply Dodge and Burn to this shotgun? Im going to clean it up a bit afterwards.
Wait, what? It's an erratic color blob. You're basically asking someone to make a complete sprite out of it. That's not how things work. :|

Is this something for Resource Request thread? I apologize.
fellowzdoomer
Charmed, I'm Sure

Discord: Athel#2406
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

PreviousNext

Return to General