[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby smoke_th » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:12 am

Here's a piece of original artwork.
ImageImage

What i did is basically rendered it out from this (i did edited gem on iron staff before applying it though)
then used photoshop to apply palette and post-edit it.
smoke_th

Postby mallo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:09 am

Neat! I like those.
mallo
GO TO NEXT SECTOR.

Postby Captain J » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:53 am

ooh, gotta love the second one! it definitely fits with heretic/hexen theme!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby osjclatchford » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:39 am

smoke_th wrote:Here's a piece of original artwork.
Image...

my two cents:
wanderisation.PNG
bit closer to the original image I feel and fits in nice with the general heretic stuff ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
osjclatchford

Postby Snarboo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:16 am

torridGristle wrote:I ripped the Boltor model from Warframe with Ninja Ripper but I have no idea how to get all of the textures, normal maps, etc in there correctly so I tried to paint light on it myself and it came out... less than I had hoped. :(
If you're working with an untextured 3D model, I recommend boosting the contrast. If it's unlit, try applying a simple light source to it in your 3D program of choice (assuming that's what you're viewing it with)!

The biggest issue with this rip so far is that it's VERY flat. It needs stronger shadows and highlights.

Edit:
If you have the base image you used for this, I can take a crack at it.
Snarboo
Bacon doesn't know it's not dogs

Postby IMX » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:38 am

Burn midtones 4 times, dodge highlights 2 times and see hwat happens

Edit: Actually no; burned 3, dodged 3.

Boltor.png

Edit #2: To me that weapon/thing resembles something like this

idunno.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IMX
Just a spoke on the wheel.

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Inspired by Sgt Shivers and Killing Floor 2.

Carbine Dioxide
Me and Pain go way back.

Postby torridgristle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Snarboo wrote:
torridGristle wrote:I ripped the Boltor model from Warframe with Ninja Ripper but I have no idea how to get all of the textures, normal maps, etc in there correctly so I tried to paint light on it myself and it came out... less than I had hoped. :(
If you're working with an untextured 3D model, I recommend boosting the contrast. If it's unlit, try applying a simple light source to it in your 3D program of choice (assuming that's what you're viewing it with)!

The biggest issue with this rip so far is that it's VERY flat. It needs stronger shadows and highlights.

Edit:
If you have the base image you used for this, I can take a crack at it.

I'm using 3DS Max.

Well, I've got a texture loaded. But the issue is that this is supposed to use 4 textures and I've only got one applied which I only have the vocabulary to describe as "a normal skin". I followed an old tutorial to apply a normal map but that doesn't seem to be showing up. On top of that, when I drag a texture onto it, it just won't appear in the render. I don't know what to look for to solve this. Also, some sections are shown as pure black and are transparent, but in the game they aren't. It could be that the texture has an alpha channel or similar that's used to handle the sections of the gun that can be coloured by the player in-game. Yup, checked it while typing this and that was the issue. Normal map is still a problem, or at least it looks like it is. I either can't tell if it's doing anything or it isn't doing anything. It really isn't meant to be seen from this angle; it's from a third-person shooter.

As far as lighting goes, I had ambient light set to white instead of black because a tutorial on importing Ninja Ripper rips did it to show us the model quickly. I didn't realize this would be a problem.

Rendered with 0.8 pixel aspect ratio.

The first one, rendered without the 0.8 pixel aspect ratio.

Any ideas on solving the grey halo? No idea why that needs to be rendered.

Edit: Another angle that looks more Bolter-y.

torridgristle
Sprites will be 120% tall in the game.

Postby Snarboo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Alright, let me poke at it!
Snarboo

Postby torridgristle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Snarboo wrote:Alright, let me poke at it!

Do you want the model and skins? I'd like if someone just took this and fixed it so I can be sure of what is and is not possible with these models.
torridgristle

Postby torridgristle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Not liking this either.
torridgristle

Postby Snarboo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:47 pm

torridGristle wrote:Do you want the model and skins? I'd like if someone just took this and fixed it so I can be sure of what is and is not possible with these models.
Not just yet. I don't have the software needed to work with this, and I want to see what I can do with what you've given me.

Edit:
Spoiler:

On the left are my improvements, and on the right is the original. I tried to follow DoomNukem's weapon tutorial for this one, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement this is. I did not remove the halo because I wasn't sure if this is what you wanted.

If your model already has strong lighting, it helps if you mess with the brightness and contrast, then reinforce the existing shadows and highlights with dodge and burn. Reflections can be added using an overlay layer/brush with complimentary colors. Blues and oranges work best for metal from what I've seen, although I imagine greens and reds or yellows and purples might work for other materials or if you want an interesting effect.

Edit 2:
Spoiler:

And the other one!

Edit 3:
Image Image

Took the first edit, resized and sharpened it, then converted it to Doom's palette. It doesn't look half bad, but it needs further tweaks.
Snarboo

Postby torridgristle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:43 pm

So you can see what it looks like from the side, and why I'm interested in the Boltor.

Tried an angled view while is an improvement though I should have made the back wider; I'm not so great with the camera just yet.
Spoiler: Full render

Last edited by torridgristle on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
torridgristle

Postby Raziel236 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:54 pm

smoke_th wrote:Here's a piece of original artwork.

they're great!!
Raziel236
We're rolling on..

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Some touch ups here and there on the barrel and cylinder. I also got a start on the hammer.
Carbine Dioxide
Me and Pain go way back.

PreviousNext

Return to General