[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
4thcharacter

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by 4thcharacter »

Realm 667's repository might have something you'd like.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Okay I searched for over a year an a half for a DOOM/DOOM 2 style sprite sheet of the Cherub from DOOM 3 with absolutely no luck. So I decided to reattempt making it myself. Any advice on my work? Anyone think they can maybe help me with a full sheet? Here is what I have so far. I can't seem to get it looking good enough.
Attachments
Help please
Help please
cherubsheetwork.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Hidden Hands wrote:Okay I searched for over a year an a half for a DOOM/DOOM 2 style sprite sheet of the Cherub from DOOM 3 with absolutely no luck. So I decided to reattempt making it myself. Any advice on my work? Anyone think they can maybe help me with a full sheet? Here is what I have so far. I can't seem to get it looking good enough.
Doesn't look too shabby, tho I'm not a proper, high skilled and Patient spriter to help asset-wise, but as I said, decent work so far.

EDIT: I simply, made the green parts black and white, decreased the brightness, is this closer to what you want?
Attachments
quickexamp.png
quickexamp.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Last edited by XLightningStormL on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hidden Hands wrote:Okay I searched for over a year an a half for a DOOM/DOOM 2 style sprite sheet of the Cherub from DOOM 3 with absolutely no luck. So I decided to reattempt making it myself. Any advice on my work? Anyone think they can maybe help me with a full sheet? Here is what I have so far. I can't seem to get it looking good enough.
Nice work!
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

It does look a LOT better with black and white instead of green. I also like the brightness change. Getting a whole sheet to look this good would be sweet.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Hidden Hands wrote:It does look a LOT better with black and white instead of green. I also like the brightness change. Getting a whole sheet to look this good would be sweet.
Attachments
cherubidleframa.png
cherubidleframa.png (7.6 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
simploo

Post by simploo »

Working on DOOM '16 styled enemy sprites using the actual models with some cleanup and color palette swapping, here is some of what I've done with the baron of hell.

Any advice / thoughts?
Attachments
BaronPreview.png
BaronPreview.png (22.05 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Lt.blam

Post by Lt.blam »

Looks fantastic!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

I like this baron o' hell :D
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

XLightningStormL wrote:
Hidden Hands wrote:It does look a LOT better with black and white instead of green. I also like the brightness change. Getting a whole sheet to look this good would be sweet.
You are a gem. Thank you for this.
ramon.dexter wrote:
Nice work!
Thank you!
simploo wrote:Working on DOOM '16 styled enemy sprites using the actual models with some cleanup and color palette swapping, here is some of what I've done with the baron of hell.

Any advice / thoughts?
This looks really nice. Do you plan on making it so it blends well with Doom and Doom 2 enemies?
simploo

Post by simploo »

@Hidden Hands I've tried making the color palette for the sprites that from DOOM, but it would've taken me a very long time to make the sprite itself look alright with the color scheme of the original baron, so I went ahead and used quake II's color palette since it retained some of the original color of the model whilst making it look more authentic as a sprite, at least to me. I could try in the future to change the palette once I've finish all the frames, we'll see.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

My advice: It is looking good enought. Keep the nice work.
XLightningStormL wrote: EDIT: I simply, made the green parts black and white, decreased the brightness, is this closer to what you want?
Despite I've rly enjoyed it, I must say it is usually preferable to have a sprite set in green, because it makes it easier to modders to create variations with translation. With a green Cherub sprite skin, we can have the green, and the black and white, and many others, as each modder wants. :)

Well, my 2 cents. :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

simploo wrote:Working on DOOM '16 styled enemy sprites using the actual models with some cleanup and color palette swapping, here is some of what I've done with the baron of hell.

Any advice / thoughts?
Those green flame on both hands might need some improvement. But hey, it looks definitely good!
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Okay I spent hours on a bit of a clean up. I felt my Cherub was a little too... patchy? The pixels looked a bit all over the place, being a little too messy to blend in nicely with the DOOM2 sprites. Anyway, I made a cleanup... which one do you think looks better?
Attachments
Animated Cherub
Animated Cherub
cherubgif.gif (8.78 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Old 'n' New
Old 'n' New
oldnnewcherubs.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Actually, I like the old one better.